A Narrative History of The People of Iowa Volume IV 1931
EMANUEL P. ADLER was reared in Ottumwa, began learning the printer's trade at the age of thirteen, and for over forty years has been a prominent figure in Iowa journalism. He was associated with the late A. W. Lee in founding the Lee Syndicate of Newspapers, now published in five states, and at the death of Mr. Lee succeeded him as president of this company. Mr. Adler for over a quarter of a century has been a resident of Davenport, where he is publisher of the Davenport Daily Times.
He was born in Chicago, Illinois, September 30, 1872, and was a small boy when his parents, Philip Emanuel and Bertha (Blade) Adler, moved to Ottumwa, Iowa. He attended school in that town, was an apprentice printer at the age of thirteen and at seventeen had received his card in the typographical union. He learned his trade by working "at the case," before the modern machines for type setting were in use in Iowa. In 1893 he was a reporter for the Ottumwa Courier and later became city editor, then managing editor and business manager of the Courier.
The publisher of the Ottumwa Courier was A. W. Lee, who in purchasing the Davenport Daily Times in 1899 established the first unit of the Lee Syndicate of Newspapers. Subsequently he acquired the Muscatine Journal and in 1907 the Tribune at La Crosse, Wisconsin, and the Courier-Post at Hannibal, Missouri. At this point death stopped him in his career and Mr. Adler succeeded him as president and has since greatly enlarged the scope of the Lee Syndicate of Newspapers, which now include in addition to those mentioned the Globe Gazette of Mason City, Iowa. The Demmocrat and Leader of Davenport, Iowa, the Madison State Journal at Madison, Wisconsin, the Star-Courier at Kewanee, Illinois, the Lincoln Star of Lincoln, Nebraska.
Mr. Adler removed to Davenport and took over the active management of the Daily Times in 1901. The Daily Times has been published as a daily newspaper at Davenport since 1886, succeeding several earlier newspapers, the first of which was a temperance newspaper established in February, 1878. The Daily Times until it was purchased by Mr. Lee was owned by members of the Brady family, E. W. Brady having established the daily. The sons of E. W. Brady later became publishers of McClure's Magazine.
Mr. Adler in addition to being president of the individual publishing companies included in the Lee Syndicate of Newspapers was second vice president of the Associated Press in 1917-18, was president of the Inland Daily Press Associated in 1917-18, was secretary of the Iowa Republican State Central Committee in 1910-12. He is a trustee of the Friendly House at Davenport, trustee of the Davenport Municipal Art Gallery and the Davenport Museum and Saint Luke's Hospital. He is chairman of the Davenport Chapter of the Red Cross. He was one of the organizers of the Greater Davenport Committee and now a member of the Davenport Industrial Commission. He is a member of the Davenport Commercial Club, the Rock Island Arsenal Golf Club and the B. P. O. Elks.
On February 5, 1902, the year after coming to Davenport, Mr. Adler married Miss Lena Rothschild, of Davenport. They have one son, Philip David, who finished his education in the University of Iowa and is now publisher of the Star Courier at Kewanee, Illinois.