I've been trying for some time to find anyone or anything I can about my mother's side of the family. My Grandfather was Rollie Gilbert Akins. I will try to post as much info as I can, and if you want anything more that I might have on that part of the family, please email me. I am not sure how accurate my history is, the further back it goes, so please bear with me. I will start as far back as I have gotten, but since both my grandparents are deceased, I don't have anyone really close that I have been able to get details and accurate information from.
James(Jim)Arvil Akins(??1855-1923??) married Sarah J. Cox(??1861-1911??"
I don't know how many children they had for certain, but there are a few names that I THINK are some of them. Ethlene, Fanny, Dealy, Mattie, and Claude Earnest.
Claude was my great grandfather-
Claude Earnest Akins(b. Feb. 12, 1888 - d. Sept. 19, 1962) married Hattie Lee Merryman(b. Sept. 7, 1896 - d. Dec 20, 1956)
The had 12 children-(I think these are in order)
1) James Arvil(Jack)Akins(b. Dec. 19, 1912 - d. Jan. 14, 1988) married Pauline Ritter(b. ??? - d. Feb. 3, 1988)
They had two daughters- Janie and Caroline.
2) Bertha(Berthie)Mae Akins(b. Jan. 21, 1915 - d. ?? is deceased) had Ida Mae and then was married 3 times but no children from those marriages. Was last married to Lloyd Denton(also deceased).
3) Charlie Akins (b. Oct. 7, 1916 - d. in 1923 of diptheria).
4) William Earnest(Billy)Akins (b. Aug. 21, 1918-still living)married 4 times- 1st to Nanny who died in childbirth, 2nd to Dora Brown (b.? -still living), 3 children Vonda Caroline, Earnest Milburn and Nancy Charlotte, 3rd to Dorthy "Big Momma" Pendleton(divorced), and 4th to Henrietta "Booger" Sewell Akins (b.? - d. is deceased)(after her husband- his brother, Claude Earnest Jr(Jude)died.) *His neices became his "step-daughters.*
5) Rollie Gilbert Akins (b. Sept 18, 1920 - d. Apr. 4, 1991 *my grandfather*) married Virginia Lucille Thurman (b. May 20, 1924- d. Mar. 19, 1997) They had 5 children, Ronnie Gilbert, Danny Lee, Patricia Ann(my mother), Kenneth Ray and Debbie Rose.
6) Johnny James Akins (b. Aug. 2, 1922-still living) married Dorthy May Ritchey(b. ?-still living). They had 5 children, Larry Wayne, Gerldine, Donna Mae, Kathy Elaine, and Angela Marie.
7) Barney Allen(Buck)Akins (b. Apr. 16, 1924 - d. June 4, 1989) married Stella Snow (b. ? -still living) and they had 2 children, Jerry, who died as a baby and Phillip Ray.
8) Claude Earnest Akins Jr(Jude) (b. May 2, 1927 - d. in the mid to late 70's ?) Henrietta Sewell (b. ?- d. ?)They had two children, Donna Faye, and Sherry Lynn. *Refer back to 4) Uncle became their "step-father".*
9) Sally Catherine Akins (b. Apr. 25, 1929 - d. is deceased) married Virgil Lefler(b. ? - d. ?) They had 5 children, Virgil Jr, Imogene, Brenda, David, and Don.
10) Ruby Ellen Akins (b. Apr. 7, 1931 - d. still living)married Herbert Bryant(b. ? - d. Sept. 27, 1990. They had 5 children, Peggy, Herbert Jr, Sandy, Connie, and Joe.
11) Pauline Akins (b. Aug. 8, 1935 - d. ?? not sure if living or deceased) married William Webb(b. ? - d. ? died in prison I've heard)They were divorced, but had 6 children, Starline, Susan, Beverly, Sally, Paula, and William Jr.
12) Hattie Corrine Akins (b. Apr. 12, 1941- d. still living) married William (Billy) Adams (b. ?? - d. still living) They had two children Dana and Mark.
I also have a somewhat sketchy list of the children's families as well. I am also looking for more info that goes back further than what I have, and I would really like to find information on Hattie Lee Merryman's side of the family because I have absolutely nothing on her, as well as more info on James Arvil and Sarah J. Cox. I'm also looking for my grandmother's side, Virginia Lucille Thurman, who's parents were Walker Thomas Thurman, and Rosa Belle Cammack, grandparents were, William "Willie Lee" Thurman married to ?Cora Lee Bond? maybe, Daniel Lewis Cammack(or it might be Henry Daniel Cammack..not sure)and Mary George "Molly" Robinson. That's about as far back as I've got...with no dates or pertenient info on them either.
if you need any more info or would like to talk about it, email me. I'd be more than happy to hear from you.
Holly Raye Brown