reprint from the Hamilton Times, January 9, 1905
One hundred years old! Mrs. Charlotte Cable of Tapleytown, rounded out the century on Monday last and the day was celebrated by her surviving relatives at the home of her daughter-in-law in Tapleytown, with whom she has lived for a number of years. What a history she must have made in a hundred years, even though her life may only have been in the ordinary rut. She has had her share of clouds and sunshine; but her early life was more of sorrow than of joy.
Charlotte Albright was born on Briar Island, Nova Scotia, on Jan 9, 1805 and at the age of seven years was left an orphan by the death of her father and mother. Without home or friends she was adopted into the family of Joseph Medley. She had one brother, Edward who was taken by another family. When Charlotte was fourteen years old Jacob Medley moved from Nova Scotia to Muddy York (now Toronto) and from there to the township of Bayham, which was then a forest. On their way to Bayham the Medley family passed through Hamilton, which was then a hamlet of less than half a dozen houses. Charlotte lived at Bayham with the Medleys until she was nineteen years of age, when she came to Hamilton to take up the battle of life single handed and alone.
In those days there were few educational advantages and Charlotte had never attended school, the Medleys finding it more profitable to keep her at work attending to the duties of the primitive farm house; but she had an ambition to learn to read and accomplished it.It was not long after coming to Hamilton when she became acquainted with Timothy C. Pomeroy, a constable, and they were married. Two children were born to them, a boy and a girl. In the discharge of official duties the officers of the law ran great risks in the early settlements of new countries.
Cornelius Burley, a wild young fellow who worked on a farm, got into dispute with a neighbour named Lamb over a settlement for labour, and in order to get revenge, shot a deer belonging to him. Lamb had a warrant issued for the arrest of Burley, and it was given to Constable Pomeroy to execute. Burley skipped out and was closely followed by Pomeroy, and they met in the woods in Bayham township. Burley got the drop on his pursuer, and being an expert marksman, he fired with deadly effect. The murder was committed on September 15, 1829. Burley eluded capture for some time, but was finally arrested up near London and put in jail in that town. He made a full confession of his crime, and was sentenced to be hanged on August 19, 1830. Burley's dying confession was written the night before he was executed, and it was read the next day from the scaffold by Rev. Mr. Smith to an audience of about 3000 persons, who had gathered to enjoy the luxury of seeing a fellow being swung into eternity. Of course, Burley was penitent and was in the raptures of religious ecstasies. All murderers get religion when they can do no more harm in this world. When Burley fell through the trap in the scaffold, the rope broke, and his body fell to the ground. A new rope was secured by the sheriff and while waiting to have the job done over again Burley gave such additional evidence of his conversion that Mr. Smith said " it was the most convincing proof of a real work of grace."
Pomeroy's remains were buried in the First Methodist church burying ground, on the corner of King and Wellington streets, and the slab that marked his grave can now be seen with others used as a sidewalk at the side of the church. The daughter born to Mr. and Mrs. Pomeroy died in infancy, and the son lived about twenty years.
Mrs. Pomeroy was a widow for about one year when she was married to Joseph Hill Weir. A native of Connecticut, who came to Canada to live. The marriage ceremony was performed in Ancaster and shortly afterward Mr. and Mrs Weir came to Hamilton and bought a house and lot on King William Street, opposite the present Central fire station, James Gordon Weir their only child was born in 1832. Mr. Weir lived but a few years, and in 1840 his widow married William Cable, a blacksmith working in this city. They sold the house on King William Street to Henry Ireland, afterwards of the firm of Balhouse and Ireland, hardware merchants, and that property is now owned by Wood, Vallance and Co., and is part of their warehouse.
Cable moved out to Tapleytown about 1840 and bought a farm and also carried on the blacksmith trade. One son was born to them. Cable died in June 1858 and the son, Wesley, passed from earth about five years ago. Since the death of Wesley, Mrs. Cable has made her home with her daughter-in-law. The old lady has only one child living, James Gordon Weir, the grain buyer, six grandchildren and one great grandson, Clifford Packham, aged three years.
Until within the past four or five years Grandmother Cable has had splendid health, and indeed now she has an excellent appetite and is ready for her three meals a day. At the age of ninety she could read and see without the aid of spectacles and her memory is bright and active till the last couple of years. Last Monday she recited at the family gathering a bit of poetry she had memorized sixty years ago, entitled the California brothers. At the celebration of her centennial anniversary, fourteen of her descendants were present and Rev Mr Cavers and his wife.
Probably Mrs Cable is the only centenarian living in the county of Wentworth. She has seen Hamilton grow from a hamlet of less than half a dozen houses to be the great manufacturing city of Canada. Her life has been independent of others for she has had sufficient means to provide for her own wants. Her one great desire during the closing years of her life has been to again meet her brother Edward, from whom she was separated more than eighty years ago.