If all this gets posted, and you still need more let me know, it's long.I will check the boards to see that it all got posted and if it didn't I'll add what's missing in another posting.
Here is what was provided to me in 1977:
James Sample Alexander Ancestors:
James Alexander (Weaver)- b. unk d. ca 1740 (we think)
Moses Alexander b. ca 1690-93 d. 1762
Daniel Alexander b. 1720-24 d. 1776
Josiah Alexander b. 9-1755 d. 6 Dec 1817 m. Mildred Orr - b. 6 Sep 1762 d. 12 Oct 1815 - daughter of Nathan and Mildred (spelled "Mildridge" in Nathan Orr's will) about 1778
(Josiah had 4 children [I won't list all info on each to save room to answer your questions]:Azariah; Elihu; Prudence; and "James Sample Alexander b. 8 Jan 1787 in Mecklenberg County, NC, d. 2 Jan 1879 in Pontotoc County, MS lacking a few days of being 90 years old.First married, 21 Mar 1809, in Mecklenburg County, NC, to Elizabeth McCracken, daughter of James and Elizabeth (Davidson) McCracken.She was born 26 May 1788, and died 10 Aug 1827, in Mecklenburg Co, NC.Second marriage, in Lincoln County, NC, to Abigail Phillips.
"Sample Alexander lived in the vicinity of the Paw Creek Presbyterian Church, where he and his family worshiped, which is located nine miles from Charlotte.Sample Alexander seems to have dabbled in gold mining stock...and to have not been too successful at it!He seems to have lost his land that way.In 1838, his son-in-law, John Johnston, removed to Dallas County, Alabama, with his family to join some of his kin who had preceded him to that State.Later, about 1841, Sample Alexander came with his son, James (Sample) Alexander, Jr., and they settled in Perry County, Alabama, adjoining Dallas County.Here they tarried a while, but about 1850, he and his son, James, removed to Pontotoc County, MS, where he died in 1878.The children of Sample and Elizabeth McCracken Alexander:
1. MILDRED LOUISA b. 24 Dec 1809 d. 2 Mar 1871; m. 2 Jun 1838 (as his second wife) Ulysses Alexander, b. 26 Apr 1808 d. 9 Feb 1867. (his first wife was Jane Hunter, whom he married 1-13-1831)
2. (ELIZABETH) CAROLINE b. 23 May 1811, Mecklenburg County, NC d. 16 Jul 1887. Dallas County AL m. in Mecklenburg County, 19 Dec 1833, John Johnson b. 19 Jul 1812 d. 15 Dec 1891 in Dallas County AL
3. JOSIAH [my line] b. 1 Mar 1813 in Mecklenburg Co NC d. 1 Apr 1892 in Perry Co, AL m. (first) 8 Oct 1845 Angeline Anthonet Burford, daughter of William Burford of Prairieville, AL.Second marriage, 4 Jan 1855 to Mary Ann Osborne b. 1818 d. 1880, daughter of Christopher Osborne.
4. PRUDENCE b. 7 Aug 1817 d. 29 Oct 1864 m. ca 1838 (William) Daniel Shelby b. 1816 d. 1896, son of Moses and Mary Ann (Knox) Shelby.Mary Ann b. 28 May 1785 d. 27 May 1855
5. ESTHER D. b. ca 1822 m William Morrow b. 1823; two children William Edward Morrow b. 14 Sep 1850 d. 9 Jan 1860 and Sara Morrow died unmarried
6. JAMES (SAMPLE) JR. b. 1824 m 28 Jun 1847 in Dallas Co AL to Eliza Ann Russell
7. ELEANOR? b. 1826 died young
8. M F. (daughter) b. 1832, Child of Sample and his second wife, Abigail Phillips Alexander.
Children of Josiah and Angeline Burford Alexander:
1. ELIZABETH ANGELINE
2. JOHN ADOLPHUS
3. JAMES SAMPLE b. 29 Apr 1852 d. 9 Mar 1929 m. 22 Dec 1875 to Peletiah Hartfield Edwards b. 17 Oct 1857 d. 6 May 1932, daughter of James and Alice (Hunter) Edwards.[I have a list of their children if needed]