This post is written in an effort to put as much information out as I know about David Allen Sr. It is done in hopes that someone can answer my many questions.
David Allen Sr is a mystery. The well known facts and ones that can be easily verified by me are:
1. He was listed in the 1850 and 1860 Census for Cleveland County North Carolina. In the 1850 census he is listed as being 53 years old. In the 1860 census he was listed as 64 years old. His wife was Elizabeth. He appears to have died somewhere between 1860 and 1870, as he was no longer listed in the 1870 census but his wife, Elizabeth, was listed living with her daughter Mary and was living next door to her son Champion.
2. He had a very large family. His sons were Clark, Elbert, Abner, David Jr., Laban, Champion,James, Perry and William(?). His daughters were Mary, Rebecca, Lucretia and Lydia(?)
3. Everyone of his sons, except Elbert, fought in the Civil War.
4. The first date I can verify for his appearance is the 1850 census, although his sons were listed in the1846 Tax Records for Cleveland County.
Now comes the many questions I have.
1. Who is his father? - This has been a mystery for years. It was felt by many researchers that is father was Larkin Allen, who was listed in the 1850 census. Larkin was 85 at that time. He had been listed in several census in the area, from 1800 in York County, SC, then in 1810 and 1820 for Rutherford County North Carolina.The name "Larkin" appears throughout the David Allen Sr. family. Elbert named a son Larkin and there are several other type incidents of family members using the name Larkin.
2. What is his wife's maiden name? - For many years it was unknown. About two years ago, I recieved information that he had married Elizabeth Camp, daughter of Abner Camp.
3. Where is he buried? - Once again this is unknown. No headstone could be found for him.
Now comes information that has me confused. I recently discovered a posting on GenDex that gives conflicting information.
1. It states David Allen Sr's father as Samuel Allen (married to Nancy Easter). It has David's birthday listed as 19 Nov. 1797. Everyone had always believed his birthday had been 1796. But that could always be explained by when did they take the census. If they polled him on either side of his birthday, then that could explain the confusion. It would fit with the 1850 census where he was listed as 53. This research had been completed by Champion Allen's family - one of David's sons.
2. It states his wife as Elizabeth Massie and their marriage date as 1821 in Loudoun Co., Virginia.
3. Samuel Allen was listed as being born in Bedford, Va.on Dec 30th, 1756. He was married to Nancy Easter on 27 Aug 1782 in North Carolina. Samuel's father is listed as William Allen. William was born Apr 12, 1711 in St Peters, New Kent, Va. His wife was Elizabeth Warren. He died Aug 25th, 1770 in Orange County, NC. William's parents were listed as Robert Allen and Elizabeth. Seems they wanted to marry a woman just like dear old mom. (All Elizabeth's).
4. Another find was an 1850 census Index for Rutherford County, North Carolina. It had every member of David Allen's Sr. family listed although they are also listed as living in Cleveland County in the 1850 census. They could have been checked twice. Another piece of information I must find.
5. I also discovered a post from a descendant of David Allen (son of Drury Allen). Drury and David had lived in Rutherford County in the early 1800's. Drury was listed in the Rutherford County 1800 and 1810 census. A David was listed living in Rutherford from 1820 through the 1840 census. The post had David Allen (son of Drury) as living in Macon County and dying in 1851. It leads me to believe that at least some of the census records from 1820 through 1840 was my David Allen Sr.
6. While researching the cememtary records for Pleseant Hill Baptist Church in Shelby North Carolina, I discovered next to the headstone for Elizabeth Allen is a headstone marked "unknown". Could this be David? Could there be records at the church to solve this mystery?
So anyway, I know this was a long post and threw lots of information out there, but if anyone can answer any of my questions with documented facts I would appreach it.
James Ford Allen descendant of Ira Palmer Allen, Jasper Loron Allen, Marcus Luther Allen, Elbert Allen, David Allen Sr.