Henry Ware Allen Mansion aka H. W. Allen Villa 434 South Market St. Troy, Ohio 45373 "The Most Palatial Mansion in Town" "Miami Union, " July 4, 1874
Henry Ware Allen came from Massachusetts to live in Troy, Miami County, Ohio.He owned the largest flour mill in Miami County.He was president of the First National Bank of Troy and president of the Troy Spring and Wagon Company.He owned business buildings in the area.
He built his palatial home consisting of 14 rooms with white and black walnut trim throughout the house for his family in 1874.White marble and Vermont slate were used to complete the fireplaces.There were bay windows, a winding staircase to the third floor, and a carriage house in the same style as the mansion.There was a ball room on the third floor and a separate staircase to the servants' quarters.
The Allen family occupied the house until 1940's at which time it became a guest home for the Hobart Corporation of Troy, maker of KitchenAid appliances.After that it sat vacant for a time, and eventually became a bed & breadfast home fully restored to its original beauty and elegance and enhanced with antiques of the period.
[Posted for information only.No additional information. ASH]