Descendants of William Barton ALLEN
Generation No. 1
1. William Barton4 ALLEN (William Barton3, Duke2, George1) was born 19 September 1864 in Gainesboro, Jackson, Tennessee, and died 1 August 1949 in Beggs, Okmulgee, Oklahoma. He married Ludicey Victoria ELY1 16 December 1891 in Romance, Ozark, Missouri, daughter of Green Clay ELY. She was born 18 March 1876 in Gainesville, Ozark, Missouri, and died 20 September 1964 in Beggs, Okmulgee, Oklahoma.
Notes for William Barton ALLEN:
William Barton ALLEN Jr. was born on 19 September 1864 near Gainesboro in Jackson County, Tennessee; the son of William Barton ALLEN and Mary Ann "Polly" LANGFORD; son of Duke ALLEN and Sarah "Sally" LANGFORD. Mary Ann "Polly" LANGFORD was the daughter of John LANGFORD and Mary "Polly" CRANE. William brought his mother and her sister, Molenda Frances LANGFORD, to Missouri in the mid-1880's. His sister, Molenda Frances ALLEN, married John High. John and Molenda are buried at the Loftis Cemetery near Willhoit. William and Ludicey made several trips by wgon to the Indian Territories to visit relatives. On a trip in 1898 William's mother and aunt became very ill and died. They were buried near Afton, OK. William and Ludicey reared twelve children; five were born at Gainesville, two were born at Sparta; one was born in Minnesota; and the four youngest were born in Oklahoma. William and Ludicey moved their family to Oklahoma about 1910. They lived out the remainder of their lives on a farm near Okmulgee. William died on August 1, 1949. Ludicey died on September 20, 1964. Both are buried at Begg Cemetery. Their son, Andrew Jackson ALLEN, and three daughters, Polly Ann, Rosa Ethel, and Verda May are also buried at Beggs Cemetery. When Ludicey died, she had 47 grandchildren, 86 great-grandchildren, and 12 great-great-grandchildren.
Duke ALLEN was born Abt. 1790 in Greenville County, SC, and died 30 OCT 1882 in Jackson County. TN. He was the son of George ALLEN (born Abt. 1738 in Prince William County ,VA, and died Abt. 1804 in Greenville County, SC) and Nancy BARTON. He married Sarah "Sally" LANGFORD on 1 Novermber 1820 in Greenville County, SC. She was born 1795 in Greenville County, SC, and died 16 November 1882 in Jackson County, TN. Seven children:
1. Jesse ALLEN was born Abt. 1821 in Tennessee, and died 9 November 1900 in Jackson County, TN. He married Lodema CHITTY Abt. 1840. She was born in April 1825 in Jackson County, AL.
2. William Barton ALLEN was born Abt. 1822 in Jackson County, TN, and died 1864 in TN.
3. Daniel ALLEN was born Abt. 1825 in Jackson County, TN, and died 1870 in Missouri.
4. Martha "Patsy" ALLEN was born Abt. 1826 in Jackson County, TN, and died 1904 in Tennessee.
5. Rufus Wiley ALLEN was born 2 September 1826 in Jackson County, TN, and died 6 MAR 1917.
6. David ALLEN was born Abt. 1832 in Jackson County, TN.
7. John Thomas ALLEN was born 13 DEC 1836 in Jackson County, TN, and died 5 OCT 1922 in Missouri.
James Thomas ALLEN was found at the Tennessee Tech. Libary in a book, DUKE ALLEN and SARAH LANGFORD, 1790-1822. Jessee was one of his sons and James Thomas Allen was one of his sons. James Thomas Allen was born in 1849 In Jackson County, TN. He married Nancy Dawson from Simpson,Ky. James ALLEN is listed in the 1880 census 30 yrs. old. His wife is Amanda, age 24, ZaraT. 8(m), Wn Jr. 6, Mary F. 4 ,Martela P. 1. According to the the book, children are listed as Nancy, Sam, Lucy, etc. However, these are the children of James W. ALLEN and Nancy DENSON. Corben Newberry
More About William Barton ALLEN:
Burial: Beggs Cemetery
Notes for Ludicey Victoria ELY:
Ludicey Victoria ELY was born on 18 March 1876 near Gainesville in Ozark County, Missouri; the daughter of Green Clay ELY and his first wife, Mary Ann "Polly" (Dunigan/Dunnegan) HOWARD. Ludicey was reared in Ozark County. On 16 December 6 1891 at Romance in Ozark County, Ludicey ELY married William Barton ALLEN Jr. Ludicey and William had twelve children.
Green Clay ELY was born Abt. 1818 in Lee County, Virginia. He was the son of Thomas ELY and Isabel SHACKLEFORD. He married (1) Mary Ann "Polly" (Dunigan) HOWARD. She was born Abt. 1826. Green married (2) Mary Ruth KEITH in Arkansas, daughter of Berden KEITH and Mary "Polly" CRAIN. She was born on 23 February 1821 in McNairy County, Tennessee, and she died on 14 September 1912 in Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, CA.
Children of Green Clay ELY and Mary Ann "Polly" (Dunigan) HOWARD:
1. Samuel ELY was born Abt 1871.
2. Ludicey Victoria ELY was born 18 Mar 1876. She married William Barton ALLEN Jr. on 16 December 1891 at Romance, Ozark COunty, MO.
Children of Green Clay ELY and Mary Ruth KEITH:
3. George Burgoyne ELY was born on 25 September 1840 in Arkansas, and died on 15 June 1940 in Callahan County, TX. He married Letta B. FATHERLY on 17 October 1861 in Franklin County, AR.
4. Mary Jane ELY was born Abt. 1842 in Arkansas. She married a LEE.
5 . Barbara Warren ELY was born Abt. 1845 in Arkansas. She married Raleigh SMITH.
6. Nancy ELY was born Abt. 1846 in Arkansas, and died Bef 1850.
7. Thomas Elgin ELY was born Abt. 1847 in Arkansas.
8. Susanah Shella ELY was born 9 Feb 1849 in Carroll County, AR; died 24 July 1927 in Greer County, OK. She married David Clark SMITH on 12 September 1869 in Hunt County,TX; son of Godfrey Green SMITH and Elizabeth Jane WINNIFORD. He was born 27 November 1846 in Hunt County, TX, diedon 29 February 1928 in Dallas, Dallas County, TX.
9. Martha Langford ELY was born Abt. 1851. She married a ROSS.
10. Rebecca Adeline ELY was born on 20 December 1853 in Hunt County, TX; died on 11 April 1937 in Clyde, Erath County, TX. She married Allen Foy BARNETTE on 11 August 1872.
11. Charles Daugherty ELY was born on 29 April 1856 in Bonham, Fannin County, TX; died on 24 April 1949 in Grand Junction, Mesa County, CO. He married Mary WILLIAMS on 15 August 1879.
12. Lavina Isabel ELY was born ___ in TX. She married Pierce MORGAN.
Thomas ELY was born Abt. 1784 in Montgomery County,Virginia; son of John ELY and Barbara Jane FRY. Isabel SHACKLEFORD was born Abt. 1789.
Children of Thomas ELY and Isabel SHACKLEFORD:
1. Daughter ELY was born Abt. 1807 in Lee County, VA.
2. Bethel ELY was born Abt. 1809 in Lee County, VA.
3. Elgin ELY was born 1811 in Lee County, VA.. He married Betty VANOVER on 11 January 1835 in Lee County, VA.
4. Charles D ELY was born Abt. 1813 in Lee County, VA.
5. Lavina ELY was born 1814 in Lee County, VA. She married (1) William RYALS and married (2) David JONES in Lee County, VA.
6. Green Clay ELY was born Abt. 1818 in Lee County ,VA. He married (1) Mary Ann "Polly" (Dunigan) HOWARD. She was born Abt. 1826. He married (2) Mary Ruth KEITH in Arkansas, daughter of Berden KEITH and Polly CRAIN. She was born on 3 February 1821 in McNairy County, TN; died on 14 September 1912 in Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, CA.
7. Henry ELY was born 1820 in Lee County, VA.
8. Jane ELY was born 1822 in Lee County, VA.
9. Isabel ELY was born 1826. She married John KEITH.
10. Barbara ELY was born 1832.
Notes: When Green Clay ELY was about 20, his parents Thomas and Isabel (Shackleford) ELY traded the family farm in Lee Coounty, VA, and headed west, taking with them most of their nine children. In 1838, this Ely family settled in Crooked Creek Township in Carrol County, Arkansas. Green Clay ELY married (2) Polly KEITH, daughter of Scottish immigrant, Bird KEITH, of Alabama. His sister, Isabel ELY, married Polly's brother, Captain John KEITH. As documented in "Descendents of Nichodemus Keith," a genealogy book written and published in 1989 by Roy T. Marshall of Eagle Lake, TX, descendents of both families were to populate many parts of Texas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Arizona, and eventually California. Green Clay ELY moved his family to Hunt County, Texas about 1853 and fathered the rest of his ten children between there and Erath County, Texas. The last was born about 1858. His oldest son George Burgoyne ELY, fought in Indian skirmishes under Captain John Henry Brown around Stephenville in 1859. But when the Civil War broke out, Green Clay ELY moved back to Arkansas and joined the Confederate Army. Military records list him as a Private in Company I of the 15th Arkansas Infantry. About that time, Green Clay and Polly (Keith) ELY separated. Green Clay ELY moved to Missouri. He married another Polly and raised a second family. The 1880 Ozark County census lists Green Clay ELY as age 61, with his wife Polly Ann (Dunigan) and their two children-- Samuel and Ludicy, ages 8 and 4. Its known that Green left the family about 1884 and visited among his Texas relatives for a while before disappearing. Green's son, George Burgoyne ELY, became a Texas Ranger and then a Baptist minister. He had eleven children between six or seven moves between Arkansas and Texas. In 1940, Rev. George B. Ely died at the age of 99 in Clyde, Callahan County, Texas, where he had helped found the Baptist Church some 55 years earlier. But where and when did Green Clay Ely die? Silas J. Ely, 1247 Black Sage Circle
Nipomo, CA 93444, 805-343-6547, E-mail: email@example.com
Okmulgee County: The name Okmulgee comes from a Creek word meaning "boiling water." Created at statehood from lands in the Creek Nation, Indian Territory, the county seat, Okmulgee, has been the capital of the Creek Nation since the Civil War. The Indians chose the site in the belief that tornadoes would not strike the area and so far history has proven them correct.
Beggs Cemetery: Beggs Cemetery is located on Hwy 16 on the west side of Beggs, OK, approximately about 4.4 miles from Hwy 75 and Hwy 16. It is a very well maintained Cemetery with gravel roads
More About Ludicey Victoria ELY:
Burial: Beggs Cemetery
Children of William ALLEN and Ludicey ELY are:
+ 2 i. Pauline Ann5 ALLEN, born 5 June 1893 in Gainesville, Ozark, Missouri; died 15 March 1987 in Beggs. Okmulgee, Oklahoma.
3 ii. Molenda Frances ALLEN, born 24 April 1895 in Gainesville, Ozark County, MO; died in Ozark County, MO.
More About Molenda Frances ALLEN:
Burial: Loftis Cemetery
4 iii. Charles Edward Allen, born 26 February 1897 in Gainesville, Ozark County, MO; died 23 March 1979.
5 iv. Rosa Ethel Allen, born 25 October 1899 in Gainesville, Ozark County, MO; died 6 December 1985.
6 v. James Milo Allen, born 29 August 1903 in Gainesville, Ozark County, MO; died 4 May 1967.
7 vi. Verda Mae Allen, born 24 May 1906 in Sparta, Christian County, MO; died 13 January 1985. She married Raymond Jones; born 6 August 1910 in Ozark County, MO; died 2 June 1983.
8 vii. William Clyde Allen, born 27 July 1908 in Sparta, Christian County, MO.
9 viii. Anna Marie Allen, born 27 April 1910 in Okmulgee, Okmulgee County, OK; died 12 September 1985.
10 ix. Floyd Hercules Allen, born 10 May 1912 in Okmulgee, Okmulgee County, OK.
11 x. Melvin Ray Allen, born 29 April 1917 in Okmulgee, Okmulgee County, OK.
12 xi. Lawana Melba Allen, born 5 February 1919 in Okmulgee, Okmulgee County, OK.
13 xii. Andrew Jackson Allen, born 2 August 1921 in Oklmulgee County, OK; died 8 August 1921 in Beggs, Oklmulgee County, OK.
More About Andrew Jackson Allen:
Burial: Beggs Cemetery
Generation No. 2
2. Pauline Ann5 ALLEN (William Barton4, William Barton3, Duke2, George1) was born 5 June 1893 in Gainesville, Ozark, Missouri, and died 15 March 1987 in Beggs. Okmulgee, Oklahoma. She married James Hamilton JOHNSON2 5 December 1914 in Okmulgee, Oklahoma. He was born 31 July 1888 in Newton, Arkansas, and died 10 August 1972 in Beggs, Okmulgee, Oklahoma.
Notes for Pauline Ann ALLEN:
Pauline Ann "Polly" ALLEN was born on 5 June 1893 near Gainesville in Ozark County, Missouri; the daughter of William Barton ALLEN and Ludicey Victoria ELY. Polly grew up in Ozark County, leaving only for a short time when her father moved the family to Minnesota where he worked for the railroad. Later, the family returned to their farm in Ozark County. They remained there until 1910 when they moved to Oklahoma. Polly married James Hamilton JOHNSON on 5 December 1914 in Oklmulgee County, Oklahoma; son of James Monroe JOHNSON and Amanda Elizabeth STAMPS of Newton County, Arkansas. Polly returned to Gainesville with her son, Earl Charles JOHNSON, to visit relatives and to show her son the farm where she had grown up and the stone wall that her mother and father had built which was still standing in 1991. Polly and James had five children: Geraldine Farrell; Earl Charles; Jewell Billie; James Mearl; and Frances Louise.
More About Pauline Ann ALLEN:
Burial: Beggs Cemetery
More About James Hamilton JOHNSON:
Burial: Beggs Cemetery
Children of Pauline ALLEN and James JOHNSON are:
14 i. Geraldine Farrell6 JOHNSON, born 22 August 1915 in Beggs, Okmulgee, Oklahoma; died 12 March 1985 in Beggs, Okmulgee, Oklahoma. She married James Arley Curry.
More About Geraldine Farrell JOHNSON:
Burial: Beggs Cemetery
15 ii. Earl Charles Johnson, born 31 March 1917 in Oklmulgee County, OK; died 23 August 1987 in Okmulgee County, OK.
More About Earl Charles Johnson:
Burial: Beggs Cemetery
Military service: World War II, U.S. Army, Tech. 4
16 iii. Jewell Billie Johnson, born 31 May 1920 in Oklmulgee County, OK.
17 iv. James Mearl Johnson, born 25 May 1923 in Oklmulgee County, OK.
18 v. Frances Louise Johnson, born 25 May 1925 in Oklmulgee County, OK.
1. A History of Ozark County, Missouri, 1841-1991, William Barton and Ludicey Victoria (Ely) Allen, (Ozark County Genealogical & Historical Society, Gainesville, MO 1991), page 1, Sharon Dowdy.
2. A History of Ozark County, Missouri, 1841-1991, James Hamilton and Pauline Ann "Polly" (Allen) Johnson, (Ozark County Genealogical & Historical Society, Gainesville, MO 1991), pages 306-307, Submitted by Johnny W. Johnson.