This is an update to my 7/30/2001 posting on Major Weymouth Allen.
Looking for information on Major Weymouth Allen & and Martha Eugenia Alexander & their children. Major & Martha were born in NC. Major was born 2/9/1868, probably Lincoln County, NC. Major is found in the Lancaster County, SC 1880 census with his Mother, Rachel Elvira Edwards Allen, shown as a widow & head of household.Two of Major’s 3 brothers are also listed in this census, John W. born 1866, and Joseph H. born 1873.The 4th and oldest brother William Franklin Allen, born 8/24/1861, was living in the household of his widowed grandmother Mary Polly (Howard) Allen in Gaston County, North Carolina.
Major married Martha & moved to Oklahoma Indian Territory about 1892. Major’s brother William Franklin also moved with Major to Indian Territory.Frankmarried Mary Jane Cook of Belair, Lancaster County, South Carolina.Mother Rachel Elvira also moved to Oklahoma Indian Territory. She is shown as a member of Major’s household in the 1900 Indian Territory census. This census also shows Major and Frank farming separate farms near the Red River. (Near present day Thackerville, OK/ Gainesville, TX).
In 1900 Major’s brother Frank and wife Mary Jane and their surviving son of 3 boys, Henry Crowel, moved to present day Artesia, NM.Frank and Mary Jane remained in Artesia for the rest of their lives.The 1910 NM census shows that mother Rachel was now living in Frank’s household and remained there until her death in 1922.
About 1900 to 1905 Major & family were in NM. (Probably near Artesia, NM) In 1907 Major & family were in Glendale, AZ where a son Beauregard was born. In1910 Major & family were in Duncan, Graham County, Arizona where a daughter Eugenia was born.
In 1911 the family was back in New Mexico where a son Weymouth was born.In 1913 &1914 Major & family were in Glendale, AZ. In 1916 Major & family were in San Joaquin County, CA where Major and Martha remained until his death on 4/27/1944. Major is buried at Park View Cemetery, French Camp, California.Martha Eugenia was born 9/17/1872 in NC and died 5/2/1952 in Stockton, CA..
1. Tracy Talmage Allen, son, born Gainesville, TX 6/13/1893 - died 9/5/1978 San Joaquin County, CA. Mar. Velva Ruth Wiley, born CA 8/17/1897 – died 5/31/1985 Stockton, CA
2. Mary Lee (Allen) Guthrie, dau, born Gainesville, TX 1895 - died 1988 San Joaquin County, CA. (Mary and her brother Tracy were to be married on the same date – 4/28/?)
3. Mernella Delphia (Allen) Wells, dau, born Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory 1898 (CA death record shows birthplace as NC) - died 1989 Red Bluff, Tehama, CA. Had at least one child, dau Mary Evelyn Wells born 12/14/1918. (Believe Mernella & husband were retired railroad workers)
4. Arlie Allen (dau) born Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory 1900.She was alive in1920 and is shown as 19 in the 1920 San Joaquin, O’Neil TWP, CA census – no further information
5. Robert Goldston Allen, son, born Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory 6/5/1903 - died Santa Cruz County, CA. 12/31/1982 – evidently married but no other information
6. Frank Buford Allen, son, born NM 7/5/1905 - died Stockton, CA. 8/16/1958 – married Velma Evans – born 3/28/1907 – died 3/14/1979 – at least 3 children – Richard W., Dorothy I. and Donald L.
7. Beauregard Allen, son, born Glendale, AZ12/05/1907 - died Stockton, CA. 12/20/1987 – married Mildred ? – at least 1 child Shirley (was the informant on Father's death certificate. Did not know the names of his father's parents)
8. Eugenia Allen – born Duncan, AZJan /1910 – probably died young
9. Weymouth M. Allen, son, born NM12/28/1911 - died Stockton, CA. 3/19/1987
10. Suella Allen, dau, born Stockton, CA. 1916 – shown as Luella, 4 years of age in the Stockton, O’Neil TWP, CA census - no further information
11. Lester Delbert Allen, son, born Stockton, CA 8/20/1917 - died Stockton, CA. 7/23/1965
12. Unknown Female Allen born Stockton, CA 1919 (may be part of this family)
Does anyone have additional information on this family?
William H. Allen