The area's that you stste your Joseph Allen being are exactly where my Allen family were. They were in Anson County and then Morengo County, Alabama.
Here is the family group sheet,
Children of RICHARD ALLEN and MARY BRAXTON are:
2. i. EDMUND2 ALLEN, b. Bef. 1789, Anson County, NC; d. Aft. 1841, Madison County, MS.
3. ii. WILLIAM H.(HODGES?) ALLEN, b. 20 Nov 1789, Anson County, NC; d. 21 Nov 1837, Lexington, Holmes
4. iii. GABRIEL ALLEN, b. Abt. 1791, Anson County, NC; d. 1849, Madison County, Mississippi.
5. iv. JACOB ALLEN, b. 24 May 1793, Anson County, NC; d. 27 Dec 1858, Madison, MS.
6. v. DOROTHY ALLEN, b. Abt. 1807, Anson County, NC; d. Madison County, MS.
7. vi. ELIZA ALLEN, b. 1811, Dickson County, TN; d. Leake County, MS.
8. vii. REBECCA ALLEN, b. Abt. 1813, Dickson County, TN; d. 24 Jan 1872, Leake County, MS.
9. viii. BENNETT R. (RICHARD?) ALLEN, b. 1814, Dickson County, TN; d. Madison County, MS.
ix. CATHERINE ALLEN1, b. 1821, Dickson County, TN1; d. Bef. 1839, Madison County, MS.
Notes for CATHERINE ALLEN:
not mentioned in father's will.
x. WESLY G. ALLEN, b. Bef. 1822, Dickson County, TN; d. Madison County, MS.
Notes for WESLY G. ALLEN:
[Summers, Alma Jannett (Allen).GED]
There is concern because mother Mary would have been 54 at his birth ?????
More About WESLY G. ALLEN:
Residence: 1840, Madison County, MS
3. WILLIAM H.(HODGES?)2 ALLEN (RICHARD R.1) was born 20 Nov 1789 in Anson County, NC, and died 21 Nov
1837 in Lexington, Holmes Co., MS3. He married MARY (BELIEVED TO BE CHICKASAW). She was born Abt.
1798, and died Bet. 1845 - 1850 in Holmes County, MS.
Notes for WILLIAM H.(HODGES?) ALLEN:
William was Not included in father's will because he was already dead and because his wife was Indian, the children were not mentioned either. 1837 Mississippi State Census 1830
census Madison County - William 40-50 wife 20-30
2 sons under 5 (1826 -1830) 1 son 5-10 (1820 - 1825)
(William R.) 1 son 15-20 (1810 -1815) Thomas Hodges 1daughter 5-10
(1820 - 1825) (Rebecca) 1daughter 15-20 (1810 -1815)
Son John Braxton Allen was next line on census with wife age 15-20.
Son Edmond Allen was two lines after John B with the following:
2 males under 5, 1 male 20-30 (Edmond) 1 female under 5 1 female 20-30 (wife)
Lexington Standard & Holmes Co., Records, June 12, 1838; "Notice
is hereby given to all persons intrested in the lands and
tenements of William Allen, deceased, to appear before the Court
of Probates in Lexington on the 1st Monday in August next."
We will sell to the highest bidder, real estate of William,
deceased, on the 23rd Dec. next. Mary Allen, admintratrix, John B. Allen, Administrator." (Lexington Union, Dec 15, 1838 )[Summers, Alma Jannett (Allen).GED]
More About WILLIAM H.(HODGES?) ALLEN:
Burial: Sproles Cemetery, Holmes Co., MS3
Census: 1816, Franklin County4
Occupation: Indian Agent5
Notes for MARY (BELIEVED TO BE CHICKASAW):
Believed to be Indian, probably Chickasaw or Choctaw.
Mary in Holmes Co. Pioneers by Betty C. Wiltshire, page 125.
Mary the widow was admintratrix and John B. Allen was
administrator.(Lexington Union, December 15, 1838).
Willam was an Indian Agent. According to age on 1840 and 1830
Census, she could not possibly be the mother of John Braxton
Allen, Thomas Hodges or Gabriel, but was probably the mother of the rest of the children.
We have yet to identify the remaining children.
Here we see that there are some missing children.( As your Joseph Allen named his son William, there is a strong possibility that he is one of them.)
Since this was made the missinig girl was found. She was Elizabeth Allen. Also the correct dates of the Allen children was confirmed by census data and John Braxton Allen was born later than thought.
So Joseph could be the son of William H. Allen.
Something that may confirm that could be the middle names of his children.
There was 1
more girl (found)about the age of John Braxton and 2 little boys under the age of 5 on 1830 Holmes County Census. (when we move John Braxton Allen down in age then we have room for a boy born 1808)By 1840, Mary was a widow on the Census for Holmes County with only one son left at home aged 10-15.
More About MARY (BELIEVED TO BE CHICKASAW):
Census: 1841, Holmes County, MS
Children of WILLIAM ALLEN and MARY CHICKASAW) are:
11. i. JOHN BRAXTON3 ALLEN, b. 09 Oct 1809, Dickson County, TN; d. Mar 1860, Attala County, MS.
12. ii. GABRIEL ALLEN, b. 1812, Dickson County, TN.
13. iii. THOMAS HODGES ALLEN, b. 1813, Dickson County, TN; d. Abt. 1867, Nacogdoches, Nacogdoches County,
14. iv. WILLIAM H. ALLEN JR., b. 1819, Choctaw District, MS; d. Aft. 1880, Holmes County, MS.
15. v. REBECCA ALLEN, b. 21 Mar 1821, Choctaw District, MS; d. 1873, Grapeland, Houston, TX.
While none of the Children above shows being born in Morengo Co. Alabama, we know that they were there. If you look on the map of the area Morengo Co. Alabama was in the Mississippi Territory. Madison County, Mississippi was not far away and both places were on the Natchez Trace.
Is there more about the decendants of Joseph Allen.
Major John Braxton Allen is my 3rd great grandfather.