We here in northeast Tarrant County have a Civil War veterans monument in place, and are posting biographies and photographs of the men at our Genweb site.If you can add to the following biographical sketch, or could share any photos you might have of this veteran, his wife, or his home, we’d be happy to have them.Thanks for taking the time to read our query.Mike Patterson, Colleyville, Texas.
William Riley Allen, a son of Alexander Allen and brother of Rufus Perry Allen and Thomas B. Allen, was born in Dekalb County, Tennessee on February 16, 1834.About 1844, Alexander Allen moved his family to Texas, and by 1850 they were living in Upshur County. They arrived in present-day Bedford, Texas in 1853 and built a large comfortable log home which sat in the grove of old post oaks now standing in the northwest corner of Harwood Road and Oak Grove Lane in Bedford. The home was later purchased by another of our veterans, Wiley Green Cannon.Riley Allen was a private in Co. A, 9th Texas Cavalry.He enlisted on October 14, 1861 at Camp Reeves for twelve months. He was stationed at Fort Gibson [Oklahoma] on December 31, 1861. He was detailed to drive a wagon with saddles, etc. from Des Arc, Arkansas to Texas on April 16, 1862, and was occupied at that task until he again appears on the company rolls for November and December of that year. He is shown present for duty on all surviving rolls for 1863. On the May-June 1864 rolls, he was absent sick in a hospital. Allen married Mary Elizabeth “Molly” Sansom of Bedford on September 17, 1865. She was a daughter of Rev. Samuel D. Sansom, and was born June 28, 1845. She died November 4, 1877, and was buried at Smithfield.Allen patented the 160-acre W. R. Allen survey on May 12, 1863. The northeast corner of his survey was at the present-day intersection of Harwood Road and Forest Ridge Drive. The southeast corner lay at the intersection of Forest Ridge Drive and Morrow St.The west line of the survey runs about where Shady Grove Drive runs today, with its north end about halfway between Springdale and Spring Brook, and its south end about one hundred feet north of Shady Lane. Loma Alta Lane lies about where a portion of the Allen survey’s south line lay. William Riley Allen died near Bedford on June 9, 1884, and was buried in Smithfield Cemetery.