PELSALL ROAD. The Road to Pelsall. A very old road which was on yates's map of 1769. There were a few houses dotted along it at that time but the area between Highbridge and Chester Road did not develop until the Coal Mines were in operation on Coppice Side in the mid to late 1800's. This is where Brownhills started its life, around the Junctions of Coppice Lane, Clayhanger Lane and Pelsall Road. This road to Pelsall also goes on to Bloxwich and then to Wolverhampton. Before Pelsall had become a significant sized village the Pelsall Road was known as Wolverhampton Lane and is shown as such on the O.S. Maps of 1887. In 1881 there were a few houses at the Chester Road end known as 'Tory Row' and a few cottages mostly occupied by Coal miners. There was also a 63 Acre farm, owned by Edward Arblaster as you came down the Lane towards 'The Swan Public House'. Next to the Swan was a lane that went under the railway and to Coopers Bridge which went over the canal to Swingbridge Farm. The Pelsall Road then goes over the canal at Becks Bridge where in the late 1800's there was a row of 28 houses, 2 pubs and a shop. The first pub was,'The Jolly Collier' which was at the Junction with Coppice Side and at the other end of the row of houses near Highbridge was, 'The Yew Tree'. Opposite The Yew Tree was a small'Gin Pit' which was in a small coppice next to the railway line near Highbridge, this had been opened in the 1920's by two young local Coalminers called the 'Jones' brothers who had gained their Surveyors and Mining certificates at Cannock Mining Collage. They bored down to old mine workings to extract the coal which still lay in abundant quantities. The conditions in these small Gin Pits was very bad . The pit was drained of water by a big steam boiler and pump. One day the boiler exploded and flew through the air over the Railway line and came to rest in a field on the other side of Highbridge. A coalminer named Jim Arblaster was killed in the explosion and this was the end of the Gin Pit. The boiler remained in Bentons field for many years after. The Pelsall road changed significantly in the mid 1900's, the area above Swan Bridge was the upper class end with very big houses being built and below the Swan bridge there were still Arblastors Row of Miners cottages and poor housing. These houses and the Yew Tree which became unsafe due to mining subsidence were demolished to make way for Industrial Units which were taken by, 'Wagon Plc' (Formally Rosses). The Jolly Collier also became a victim of all the coal workings under it and before it collapsed was demolished in 1982 and the land took up by 'The TSS Group' who built a warehouse there. The Swan Inn is the only Pub remaining now on the Pelsall Road for how long who knows?.