One other note to connect (vicariously?) this family in with the Martins and then to the Woodyards:the plantation Southwick.
On the Athey family website, there is the following comment:
"10 Dec 1686 George Athee sold 20 acres called Southrisk to Thomas Shuttleworth for 1,600# tobacco"
The plantation has been rendered by transcribers throughout the years as Southrisk, Southrich, Southrick and Southwell, but it is in fact Southwick.
Southwick was transferred to John Woodyard and his wife Jane Browne Woodyard by 1712 when they allowed it to be used by the brother of John's sister's husband.[Indenture was granted in February 1712 for 20 acres of Southrick (sic) to Henry Brett who was a younger brother of George Brett Jr., married to Elizabeth Woodyard.]
The land eventually became the home of John and Jane (Browne) Woodyard's eldest son, Henry Woodyard, husband of Margaret Martin, daughter of James and Elizabeth (Athey?) Martin.It was willed to Henry by his father in 1743.