ITS HISTORY AND TRADITION
H. C. JORDAN
The man who achieves success solely through his own efforts and strength of character is deserving of the highest commendation, and of this type was the late Henry C. Jordan. He had no advantages to aid him at the outset of his career and out of the struggle with obstacles and difficulties he emerged into a field of broad influence and usefulness, occupying an important place in financial circles of Battle Creek, while he was also numbered among the large landowners of Ida county. He was born March 8, 1853, in Fulton county, Ohio, a son of Henry Calhound and Louisa (Brown) Jordan, the former a native of Vermont and the latter of New York state. They migrated from Ohio to Michigan, settling near Adrain, and the father was one of the pioneer farmers of that district. Of their children, Sibyl died in infancy, and the others are:Huldah,Henrietta, Stephen,Mary,Samuel,Sibyl(the second of the name)Joseph,
Henry C. and Norton and Hannah.
Henry C. Jordan received a public school education and assisted his father in the cultivation of the soil, thus acquiring a practical knowledge of agricultural pursuits. At the age of twenty he started for the west, securing the
consent of his parents by promising to send them all of his earnings after deducting the amount required for living expenses. At the end of a year he returned home and brought to his parents the sum of two hundred and fifteen dollars. He spent two years on the homestead and on July 28, 1877, started across the plains, driving his horse the entire distance. He was nine days in making the journey to O'Brien county, Iowa, and after reaching his destination rented a farm, which he operated for some time, investing his capital in calves. He purchased his first land in Ida county, acquiring a tract of one hundred and twenty acres, and his home was a rough shanty, which he constructed. He planted fifty acres to corn and the rich soil of this region yielded bountiful harvests in response to his well directed labors. To the original property he added from time to time until he was in possession of a six hundred
acre farm supplied with all modern improvements. Mr. Jordan was a man of progressive ideas and demonstrated the value of efficiency and system in promoting productiveness. In 1918 he bought a fine home in Battle Creek, where he
thereafter resided. He served as vice president of the Farmers Bank and made a close study of financial problems, and he was well qualified for the office, contributing his share toward the success of the institution.
Mr. Jordan was taken ill November 2, 1926, a blood clot forming and lodging just below the elbow in his right arm, which was amputated November 8. On November 18 a second embolism lodged in his heart, causing his death. He was
buried November 21, 1926, Mount Hope cemetery, Battle Creek.
On March 1, 1889, Mr. Jordan married Miss Rebecca E. King, and they became the parents of these children: Roy G., of Battle Creek; Mabel L., the wife of Peter Benn, Jr., of Sioux City, Iowa; and Mary, Bessie, Lucille and Sybil,
all of whom are at home. They also had two sons, Wright K. and Earl, but both are deceased. Mr. Jordan was a Mason and cast his ballot for the candidates of the republican party but never entered the political arena. Modest and
unassuming by nature, he always avoided the public gaze, and an honorable life, directed into constructive channels, enabled him to win and retain the esteem of his fellowmen, who sincerely mourn his passing.