A Narrative History
The People of Iowa
SPECIAL TREATMENT OF THEIR CHIEF ENTERPRISES IN
EDUCATION, RELIGION, VALOR, INDUSTRY,
EDGAR RUBEY HARLAN, LL. B., A. M.
Curator of the
Historical, Memorial and Art Department of Iowa
THE AMERICAN HISTORICAL SOCIETY, Inc.
Chicago and New York
CHARLES B. LEWIS, D. D. S., M. D. Few people fully realize how necessary to
the future welfare and happiness is the continued progress of dentistry.
The teeth more often become seriously affected, are more apt to become
defective beyond the possibility of successful curative treatment, and are more
commonly eliminated by surgery, than is any other portion of the human organism.
Therefore it is of paramount importance to have men of skill, ability and
honor in the profession that each day is rendering so important a service to
humanity. Such a man is Dr. Charles B. Lewis, of Ottumwa, Iowa, who is well
versed in the theoretical branch of his learned calling, but possesses manual
dexterity as well, has become remarkably proficient in the procedure of repair,
restoration and replacement of the teeth, and who is also a graduate
Doctor Lewis was born at Ottumwa, Iowa, February 6, 1875, a son of Dr,
Charles G. and Anna Harrison (Ball) Lewis. Dr. Charles G. Lewis was born in Ohio,
in 1832, and came to Iowa in the early '40s, after which he was graduated
from the State Medical College, Keokuk, and continued in the practice of his
profession until his death in 1900. When war was declared between the states
he enlisted with the Thirtieth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, of which he was
assistant surgeon and ranking captain. For many years after the close of the war
he was examining physician on the local pension board. High in Masonry, he
had been advanced in the Consitory to the thirty-second degree. The Lewis
family originated in Virginia, as did the Ball family, and Mrs. Anna Harrison
(Ball) Lewis descended from the same branch of the Ball family as did the mother
of George Washington, a distinction not held by many. Doctor Lewis of this
review had one brother, Fred A., who was born in 1871, and died in 1914. He,
too, was a dental surgeon, and for seven years was secretary of the Iowa State
Board of Dental Examiners.
In 1893 Dr. Charles B. Lewis was graduated from the Ottumwa High School; in
1896 he was graduated from the College of Dentistry, Iowa State University;
and from the medical department of the same institution in 1899. While in the
university he made XI Psi Phi Greek letter fraternity.
Doctor Lewis was appointed house surgeon in the medical department, and he
taught in dental and medical colleges from 1896 to 1901. In the latter year,
in conjection with five other dentists, he organized a corporation under the
name of the Des Moines Dental College, of which he was general manager and
professor of prosthetic dentistry. Later Doctor Lewis bought the interests of
his associates and became sole owner, but in 1906, sold the college to Drake
University, and entered upon a private practice at Ottumwa, where he has since
remained, building up a large and valuable practice.
On February 18, 1902, Doctor Lewis was married to Miss Juna Cummings, of
Mason City, Iowa, a daughter of Judge A. H. and Idella (Blake) Cummings, and a
member of one of the old and honored families of Iowa.
For years Doctor Lewis has been a member of the Wappelo County Medical
Society, the Iowa State Dental Society, the American Dental Association; is
secretary of the Gorgas Foundation; and is a member of the Kiwanis Club. For two
terms he had the honor and distinction of serving as lieutenant governor of
the Nebraska-Iowa district of Kiwanis International. He also belongs to the
Wapello Club and to the local lodge of the Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks. While in the University of Iowa Doctor Lewis, in company with Doctors
Balwin, Rogers and Eastman, organized the Triangle Club, which became the
leading faculty organization of the university. Doctor and Mrs. Lewis belong to
the First Congregational Church of Ottumwa, of which he has been a trustee,
and he is now president of the Men's Club, an organization within the church.
Mrs. Lewis is a member of the Fortnightly Club and other organizations.
Personally an example of what a professional man of skill and ability can
accomplish, and his standing has been won on his own merits.
Posted at this site with Debbie's permission
*Check your facts, do not know how accurate.