“Old and New Westmoreland” Vol. 4
Author: Boucher, John Newton, 1854-1933
JOHN GEORGE FOX, founder of this branch of the FOX family in Westmoreland County came from east of the mountains at quite an early day, and settled in Hempfield Township, and there owned a farm of 123 acres.He marriedMISS BAUM and had sons: DAVID, JOHN, JACOB, SAMUEL, ISAAC, and the daughters: LIZZIE, who married C. MACKLIN; JULIA ANN, who married JACOB MECKLING; and HANNAH, who died unmarried.
JOHN FOX, son of JOHN and __ (BAUM) FOX, was born in Westmoreland County, and married ANNA CRIBBS, a sister of CAPTAIN CRIBBS.JOHN FOX and his wife made their home on the farm, about a half mile west of Old Stanton, now occupied by L. CHRIST FOX.JOHN FOX died November 4, 1874, age 74 years, and his wife, ANNA, in 1872, at the age of 64 years, and both are buried at Seanor's Church.They were the parents of three sons and a daughter: 1. ISAAC, who married a MISS STAUFFER, and lived near Latrobe, later moving to the FOX farm near Seanor's Church, after which he located near Alverton, where he remained until his death.His wife and two children survived him.SARAH, the elder of these, in unmarried and lives, since the death of her mother, with her half-sister, NORA FOX, on a portion of the home farm near Alverton.BURTON S., the younger, took a complete college course and followed the profession of teaching for several years, but was compelled by trouble with his eyes to give it up and has devoted himself to farming and teaming.2. LEVI, father of L. CHRIST and MARION FOX, of Hempfield.3. JOHN C.4. MOLLIE, married JOSIAH GENGAWARE, but according to the pre-nuptial agreement continued to reside with and care for her parents as long as they lived.The union was blessed with but one child, J. DIRVIN, who survived both his father and his mother, but died in the summer of 1899, of epilepsy.
JOHN C. FOX, son of JOHN and ANNA (CRIBBS) FOX, was born at the homestead in Hempfield Township, Westmoreland County, Pa., September 22, 1836, and died April 17, 1900.After his marriage, February 2, 1860, he moved to the old Beck farm, near Seanor's Church, starting out as a tenant farmer and with fifty cents as his cash capital, besides a few farm implements of the rudest character and a (pg. 1013) horse he obtained from his father for his feed...In March, 1873, they decided they would like to own the place where they were living, which contained 181 acres, and accordingly negotiated a deal at 65 dollars per acre, by which they could pay for it in installments.They arrangement was that they should pay down 2,000 dollars on April 1, 1874, and 500 dollars a year thereafter without interest until all was paid.Possession was to be taken April 1, 1873.The undertaking was a success and during the payments an additional 54 acres, without the buildings, at $50, were also paid for, and the house was remodeled in 1876, and re-roofed.The present brick farmhouse on the property was built by Michael Beck about 1838, and there all of the married life of JOHN C. FOX and his wife was spent, and there she died September 10, 1917, at the age of 87.To the original 181 acres were added the 54 acres acquired as before mentioned by MR. FOX.Later he sold this additional piece of ground and the farm reverted to its original size, until MRS. FOX, on April 8, 1882, purchased a 41 acre tract from John Errett, adjoining on the south.While MR. FOX conducted a general farming business, he made a specialty of cattle raising and feeding until 1882, when he sold his stock at a public sale.He invested the proceeds in property in Jeannette, and intended to give up the farm and established himself in that town.The plan was never carried out and he resided n the farm until his death.He was a Democrat.He was a member of the Seanor's Reformed Church.
JOHN C. FOX married, February 2, 1860, ELIZABETH C. BIERER, daughter of AMOS and MARIA (BLANK) BIERER, her mother a daughter of GEORGE J. BLANK.She was born at the homestead two miles west of Greensburg (just north of where the Carbon Coal Works now stand), June 10, 1840.For over half a century she resided in the brick house erected by Michael Beck about 1838.There her children were born and there her married life of 40 years was happily spent.MR. and MRS. FOX were the parents of two children: MARY ANN, born May 14, 1861, died November 24, 1869, of scarlet fever; and JOHN G.