Most of this was written in 1912, by my Aunt Lena Book Smith, and I just got it from my cousin who has a lot more family stuff than I do.Here's what I now know, which is a lot more than yesterday.It looks like it all started with Michael Book born 17 July 1740and he and his brother George in 1793. They setled a 400 acre tract,
now partialy owned by michael Book, son of Jacob.They came from Washington County where Michael was married shortly before leaving.He brought his wife out wiht him and in 1798-9 their first child Margaret was born.George was never married. Michael Book raised eight children.
Copied from Lawrence County history 1877.
Under Alva F. Book 1908, Second history of Lawrence County,
His parents were Ferdinand and Sarah R (Showers) Book.The Book family was a pioneer in this section andt's members have been identified with the development of Mahoning Township for many years.Ferdinand Book was the son of Jacob Book and was a lifelong resident of this township where he died June 14, 1894.He married Sarah Showers and they had seven children.The three who survive being Frank G. Book, residing in Pulaski, Pa., Alva F. Book and Sarah Adella Book who married Charles Cowden of Youngstown, Ohio.
Alva F Book married Anna Isabella Wallace, daughter of John and Nancy Wallace of Union Township, Lawrence Co., Pa. and they have three children, Ferdinand W. Book, Nancy R. Book and John A. Book.Mr. Book is an active member of the M.E. Churchof Edinburg, Pa.
Frank G. Book of Pulaski Township born in Mahoning Township, Lawrence Co. March 26, 1869 and is a son of Ferdinand and Sarah (Showers) Book.His grandfather Jacob Book was an early settler in that township and with his sons, George William Book and Ferdinand Book were life long residents of that township. Frank Book had two children, Raymond F. Book and Irma R. Book.
(Looks like this is the end of Lawrence Co. history)
My Aunt Lena wrote:
"William Stewart Book is my father, William Roland Book was his father, his father was Jacob Book, and his father was Michael Book.
Jacob Book is my great grandfather and was married to Martha McCombs and they had three sons, George Book, Ferdinand Book and William Book, (my grandfather), six daughters, three of whom are Agnes, wife of John N. Downey of Cleveland, Elizabeth, wife of David Steel, and Margaret, wife of Alex McFarland, the other three being dead.
My grandfather William Book came to Pulaski from the area called "Books Woods" in Mahoning Township, Lawrence Co., where there were quite a settlement of Book families. My grandfather William R. Book had a cousin named Lyman Book.
My faher William S. Book's mother was Margaret McFarland, her mother was a Glenn.
Children of William Rowland Book and Margaret McFarland Book:
1) Rosetta, wife of William E. Shaner of Elwood.Three children, Scott of New Castle, married to Margaret and they have six children, five who are still living. Chester of Grove City, Pa., married tto Pulah Price daughter of Mr. and Mrs. S.M.Price of New Wilmington, Pa., Earl, of Kospel, married to Alice Drake, she died in 1916 (2 children, he married Agnes Jason of Ellwood City, Pa. (some illegable writting here)
2) Hanna Appaline Terrill, wife of Charles Sewell Terrill of Dalhart, Texas.They have one daughter, Rena Amber married to Roy Craig Raycer, son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry K. Raycer of new Castle.Roy and Rena have two children, Charles Henry and Lillian Edell, born in Pulaski, Pa.
3)Nettie, married to Lewis N Houlette of Pulaski, Pa., they had two children, Laura May, married to Charles Mitcheltree of West Middlesex. (more illegable writting here)
Children of Eva Book McBride.Earl married to Lelah Herwig (dec'd Dec. 1924).Her children ,Virginia and June. Vera McBride married to John Specht, one son, John Jr. They have one child born Oct 12, 1912, Gwendoline Mitcheltree.Mary Bell second daughter of Lewis and Nettie Houlette marred to Fred Dalby of West Middlesex.
4) Charles, died at 11 years of age.
5) William Stewart Book, married to Jessie B. Brown, daughter of George Davidson Brown and Appaline Dewyra (Fausnaught) Brown.they had 14 children, Helena Appaline, Mary Gwendoline, George Donald, Bertha Blanche, Edna Jane, William Paul, Charles Stewart, Robert LeRoy, Margaret Lois, KatharyneLeNore, Samuel Bernard, Marion Veronica Lucille,Frederick, and James Herbert.
6) Eva (Sara Eva Jane) wife of Charles McBride of Ellwood City, two children, Earl and Vera.
7) Edith (Luella May), amrried to Oliver Clark, three children.
8) Lois Dela, wife of R. Edward Clark of Ellwood City, Pa., three children, Milton, married to Rose McClintock, Amber and Joseph.
9 and 10) Twins Clair and Clyde. Clair married Emma Root of Hubbard, Ohio.They have two children, Walter and Mildred.Clyde married Maude Crowl of East Brook, one son, John Arden.
11) James, died unmarried"
(end of my Aunt Lena's history.)
I hope that this helps you, it sure filled in a bunch of holes for me.