These Howard Co, MO Brashears are all descendants of one Waymack Brashear, a stray from Maryland, whose entire family moved west after Waymack died.
The ones in the Service are brothers.
The Neriah in George W. Brashear's household in 1850 is George's son, named for his brother, Neriah, who died before August, 1850.
This family will get extensive treatment in vol 8, when/if I ever manage to complete it. The chapter on Waymack and his descendants is already about 100 pages long.
Here is a little snippit from Neriah's sketch:
NERIAH BRASHEAR and
MARY ANN ELIZABETH STAPLETON
67. Neriah Brashear, (s/o Judson M. Brashear, I, and
Elizabeth _____ (?Carlton), of Maryland), b. c1802 (30-40 in 1840
Howard Co MO), d. 25 Aug 1850, Howard Co, MO; m. 22 Feb
1827, in Howard Co, MO, Mary Ann Elizabeth Stapleton, b.
c1790, KY (60 in 1850, Howard Co, MO), d/o Eliza Stapleton.In
Eliza Stapleton's HH in 1850 are George Stapleton, age 20, b.
MO; Neriah's twins, Amanda and Eliza; Lucy Kingsbury, 30, b.
VA; and James B. Brashear, 4, b. MO.)
1830 Census, Howard Co, MO: N. Brasher, 20-30 (00001-
1840 Census, Howard Co, MO: Neirah Brasher, 30-40
Administration of his estate is dated 24 Aug 1850, with
Theodore C. Stapleton, Admr, who was also appointed
guardian of Elizabeth and George W. Brashear, minor
heirs.I presume the others were of age.Harrison
Stapleton and Joseph M. Wilcoxson were securities, 24
Aug 1850, and D.C. Stapleton was Security, 2 Dec 1851
(Items #83 and #168, Howard Co, MO, Wills and
Administrations, 1847-1857, by Elizabeth Prather
Ellsberry. Additional data from ARCfiles, FHL, which
have not been verified.)
402. 71. Amanda Ann Brashear, (twin), b. 19 March 1828 (20
in HH of Eliza Stapleton in 1850 Howard Co, MO);
m. John Jackson Shock, b. 14 Aug 1826, Boone
Co, MO; moved to Colorado where she died.Left
five children, named in Lilburn's estate papers:
403. 81. George Thomas Shock, b. 19 Jan 1854,
Mexico, Audrain Co, MO; m. Mary A.
Wallace, b. 15 Aug 1862 , Evensville,
Vanderburgh Co, Indiana. They lived in
Haines, Baker Co, OR in 1892.
404. 91. Hattie Shock, b. c1884, Baker, Oregon
405. 92. Elizabeth Corrie Shock, b.2 Apr 1886,
Weatherford, Parker Co, Texas; m.
Archie Jackson Long
406. 93. Jess Shock, b. c1890
407. 94. Melvin Wallace Shock, b. 29 Jan 1895,
Delta, Delta Co, Colorado; m. Lora
408. 82. Mary Eliza Shock, b. 16 Apr 1855, Mexico,
Audrain Co, MO; m. James Thomas
Maddux, b.9 Jul 1841 , Van Wert Co, OH.
They lived in Alamosa, Conejos Co, CO in
409. 91. Alva Marion Maddux, b. 16 Mar 1879,
Alamosa, Conejos Co, CO; m. _____
410. 101. Irene Ruth Maddux,
411. 102. Agnes Mary Maddux; m. Lyle
412. 92. Laura Etta Maddux, b. 28 Jan 1881
Alamosa, Conejos Co, CO; m. John
413. 93. William Blain Maddux, b. 28 Aug 1884
Alamosa, Conejos Co, CO; m. Della
A. Starbuck; m. Katheryn Margaret
414. 94. Mary Ellen Maddux, b. 22 Mar 1887
Alamosa, Conejos Co, CO; m. Ivan
415. 95. Nora Edith Maddux, b.9 Jul 1891
Alamosa, Conejos Co, CO; m. Eldon
416. 96. Aria Josephine Maddux, b.7 May
1894 Alamosa, Conejos Co, CO; m.
Alex Premius Pearson
417. 97. Arthur James Maddux, B. 18 Sep 1897
Alamosa, Conejos Co, CO; m. _____
418. 83. Luella Shock, b.3 Dec 1856, Mexico, Audrain
Co, MO; m. Mathew Seyfried. They lived in
Del Monte, Rio Grande Co, CO, in 1892.
419. 84. Joseph Edward Shock, b. 26 May 1858,
Mexico, Audrain Co, MO; m. Ella
Harshman. They lived in Haskell, CO, in
420. 85. Laura Alice Shock, b.5 May 1860, Mexico,
Audrain Co, MO; m. William M. “Arch”
Hock. They lived in Monte Vista, Rio
Grande Co, CO, in 1892.
421. 72. Eliza Ann Brashear, b. 27 Nov 1829, Howard Co, MO
(20 in HH of Eliza Stapleton in 1850 Howard Co,
MO); m. James F. Dinwiddie, they lived in
Fayette, Howard Co, MO, in 1892, at the time of
Lilburn's estate papers, which does not mention
422. 73. George Washington Brashear, b. 22 Jan 1832,
Howard Co, MO (19 in HH of James M. Brashear
in 1850 Howard Co, MO), d. 9 Dec 1874, bur. Mt.
Zion Cem, Howard Co, MO; m. Mary A. Williams.
Four children named in Lilburn's estate papers:
423. 81. Marietta Brashear, m. James I. Gilvin,
Meyers, Howard Co, MO
424. 82. Ann Eliza Brashear, m. James Reed,
425. 83. Sallie Brashear, m. Bud Lyle, Fayette Saw
426. 84. Walker (?William) Brashear, of Meyers, MO
427. 74. Margaret Ann Elizabeth Brashear, b. 18 Nov 1834,
Howard Co, MO (13 in HH of James M. Brashear
in 1850), d. c1864; m. 1858, William H. “Will”
Long, b. 24 Nov 1828, s/o Reuben Long and Mary
Hocker. Four children were named in Lilburn S.
Brashear’s estate and in his biog, below.
428. 81. Annie M. Long, d. at time of estate papers; m.
429. 91. Genelle Darby, of New Franklin,
Howard Co, MO
430. 82. Effie Long, m. Sam Miller, of Fayette, MO
431. 83. Della Long, m. Arch Maxwell, of Howard Co,
432. 84. Willie Long, m. Sallie _____, lived Franklin, MO
Biog:WILLIAM H. LONG.
Except two years spent in California, during the gold
excitement in that state, Mr. LONG has followed farming all
his life, and his career as a farmer has been a decidedly
successful one.His farm contains 320 acres and the
improvements are of a very superior class, the residence
alone — a brick house—costing over $6,000.Mr. LONG is a
native of this county, having been born here November 24th,
1828.His parents were both from Kentucky, but came to this
county among the first settlers.Reuben LONG, his father,
was an energetic, successful farmer, and his wife, the mother
of Wm. H., was Mary HOCKER.Wm. H., the second of a
family of seven children, was given a good practical education
in the common schools of the neighborhood.In 1858 he was
married to Miss Elizabeth BRASHEAR, and six years
afterwards she was taken from him by the grim destroyer,
Death, leaving him four children, Annie M., Effie, Della and
Willie.Five years more dragged their slow length through his
lonely home, and then it was again brightened by the tender
love of woman—wife.In December, 1869, Miss L. A.
McCAULEY, became his wife, and to them three children have
been born: Luella, Ida and Emmett.Mr. LONG is a member
of the Christian church and of the Masonic order. (Howard
County Missouri Biographies (Franklin Township)
If anyone has more data on any members of this family, (or other Brashear[s] families for that matter), please send them to me.
2380 NW Estaview Circle
Corvallis, OR 97330-1066