Title: History of Washington County, Pennsylvania: with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men Authors: Crumrine, Boyd, 1838-1916, Ellis, Franklin, 1828-1885, Hungerford, Austin N.
Pg. 809 UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH – A Seceders’ Church was organized and a meeting-house built between Holliday’s Cove and Cross-Roads as early as the summer of 1785, near the place where the village of Paris now stands.The congregation at that time was much scattered, and it was first thought best to build about two miles south of Paris, near a spring (which about the year 1860 supplied the mansion-house of Thomas Graham).For that purpose those interested gathered at that place and cut the logs for the house. After further consultation, however, the society concluded to build, and did build where Paris now stands. This place of worship was kept for twenty years, when the society was so reduced in numbers by deaths, removals, and the growing interest of the union of the two parties of the church that the Seceder house of worship was given up to the united congregation, and remains in their possession to the present time.
In 1813 the REV. GEORGE BUCHANAN accepted a call to preach one-half the time to this society, and the other half to the Associate Reformed Society in Steubenville.He was a native of York County, Pa., received his early education at Gettysburg, and graduated at Dickenson College, Carlisle. He was licensed in the city of New York, and for a year or two preached in the city of Baltimore, and came west of the mountains in 1809, and placed himself under the Monongahela Presbytery.He remained as pastor of these churches for thirty years, and was succeeded by his son-in-law, the REV. JAMES GALLOWAY, who served until 1851, when he moved to Steubenville, and with the REV. JOSEPH BUCHANAN established an academy, which they conducted successfully many years.
After the REV. MR. GALLOWAY came the REV. JOSEPH BUCHANAN as pastor.