I know what you mean about the literacy issues when it comes to spelling. I assume it's pretty much universal in this type of research though I've had a real healthy dose of it in the Newfoundland branches (my maternal as well as my spouse) where until fairly recently it was strictly church records - i.e. non-universal standards.
I'm actually excited to hear you've managed to obtain baptism records. While I've dabbled a bit for the past several years, I took on the project this past winter to go back to the beginning of the reasearch I started back in the early 80's, the focus this time being quality as opposed to quantity. My objective being to rely, to the extent possible, on what I could actually verify. I think I'm driving a few relatives crazy as I try to collect things such as copies of birth/baptism/marriage certificates etc.
It's been interesting (FRUSTRATING) to find some of errors as I do this. For example my wife and I had the opportunity last summer to get back to a few cemeteries in Newfoundland. We were, of course, visiting graves and I was taking digital photographs of headstones. Usually one assumes these stones are going to be fairly accurate. When we got to her grandmother's, whose name was Crant, the spelling was Grant. Not the type of error I expected to find. Though it was a reminder to me that the more documented sources I can obtain for everyone in my tree, the more I have the chance to eliminate or at least navigate through these discrepencies.
I have arrived in England (and France, Holland, Germany, etc. with other branches) but haven't done much yet to verify the European data yet. Perhaps I can get to that next, once I've verified some of the North American data.
Good luck with your research and thanks for helping me feel a little more confident in the accuracy of mine.