T. E. CALDECOTT T. E. Caldecott, who enjoys the distinction of being the oldest merchant in point of years of service in South Berkeley, owns and conducts one of the best drug stores in this section of the Bay district. He has been successful in his commercial affairs and moreover has gained a splendid reputation as a loyal and publicspirited citizen of his community. Mr. Caldecott was born in Chester, England, on the 27th of July, 1878, and is a son of John and Elizabeth Caldecott, the former a carpenter. Mr. Caldecott accompanied his parents on their emigration to America in 1880, the family settling in Toronto, Canada, where he was reared and attended the public schools, after which he entered the pharmacy department of Toronto University, from which he was graduated in 1900, with the degree of Bachelor of Pharmacy. In 1902 he and his brother John paid a visit to San Francisco, California, and liked this section of the country so well that they decided to remain, his father and the other members of the family coming out at a later date. His parents passed away here, the father dying at the age of seventy-one years, and the mother when nearly eighty years of age. T. E. Caldecott obtained a position in a drug store at Dwightway and Shattuck streets, Berkeley, now known as the Saylor drug store, and after working there a year, bought the store, which he conducted until 1906, when he sold it and came to his present location, at the corner of Ashby and Adeline streets, just two weeks before the great earthquake. His store is known as the Rexall drug store and commands a large and representative trade throughout this part of the city, for Mr. Caldecott's courteous, prompt and efficient service has gained for him many friends and the good will of the people of his city. He carries a full line of pure drugs and the standard proprietary remedies, as well as toilet articles and sundries, all of which are attractively displayed. Mr. Caldecott is a director in the Berkeley Chamber of Commerce. He was made a Master Mason in Durant Lodge in Berkeley, and is one of the charter members of East Bay Lodge, No. 489. He also belongs to the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the Lions Club, both of Berkeley, and is a member of the Alameda County Druggists Association. A member of the city council, having been twice elected, he has stood for every measure calculated to advance the best interests of the city in any way. He has proven a valuable citizen and wherever known he commands confidence and respect because of his excellent business record and his sterling character.