CAMPION The English Jesuit historian, Edmund Campion came to Ireland in 1569, next we find a William Campyon, who was a soldier who obtained a "pardon" in 1578. The particular Fiant in which he appeared is of special interest because the first name in the list is that of Miler Magra (sic), Archbishop of Cashel. In 1590 William Campion (alias Champion) was appointed dean of Ferns and archdeacon in 1608. By 1659 the family had become so firmly established that Campian appeared in Petty's "census" of 1659 as one of the principal Irish surnames in the barony of Ossory, Co. Leix. Ossory is no longer a barony name: that territory is covered by Upper Woods and Clandonagh. when Griffith's Valuation was made in the 1850s there were 74 householders named Campion in Leix and 118 in Co. Kilkenny, and there are still mainly located in these counties. Thomas Campion given in the 1659 "census" as titulado of Leitrim near Fermoy, Co. Cork, is regarded as English. In this connexion it is noteworthy that there are 21 Campions in the marriage license bonds for the three Co. Cork dioceses from 1639 to 1800. As early as 1295 and 1297 several Champaynes and de Champagnes appeared in law cases, and it is possible that this name may have become Campion in England, though it is normally Campain or Campen; There is no reason to believe that it has survived here in the descendants of these mediaeval figures.