This is only the second case of Carter Clan intermarriage I have encountered!
Yes, I was suspicious of Chester's comments, but his Bays line is VERY well documented thus. He did NOT say his Nancy was from Goochland, did he? We should first ASK for clarification, shouldn't we? Let us NOT cut off discussion based on one or two DNA tests!!!
From multiple RootsWeb postings - proof Peter Bayes II was a neighbor of Thomas of Goochland - every generation is VERY well proven:
"The following was provided about Peter [the II], and is a summary of the research conducted by Anne Bays (Email from Anne, dated 12 December 2003):
1. "April 15, 1739 Goochland County, Virginia Court (OBK 4:455) Peter Bayse, orphan of Peter Bayse dec'd came into Goochland Court and chose David Walker as his guardian. (In Virginia, minors could choose their own guardians at age 14. This means that Peter was born no later than 1725".
2. Peter III ca. 1750 of Halifax, Pittsylvania, Bedford, etc.(that part of Halifax that became Bedford)
Our note: Russell / Scott / Lee counties are on the west side of the Blue Ridge - with Henry and Bedford directly east.
3. James b. 1781 VA Death: Aug 1850 Russell Co VA
4. James Jr. b. 1817 Russell Co VA
5. William Anderson Bays b: 19 Aug 1839 Russell Co VA CSA survivor of a Union prison camp in NY; Nancy became pregnant in his absence, hence a divorce.
And then ... the Bayes Researchers have the VERY correct Ancestry of Nancy Carter Bayes Hensley:
Capt. Thomas Carter Sr. of Barford Thomas Jr. Peter of Fauquier - d. Amherst but will in Fauquier Norris d. 1816 Rye Cove, Russell/Scott Co Williamson d. 21 DEC 1853Scott Co VA Dulaney 1811-1877 Scott Co VA Nancy 1834