Ok J. W Carter m Esther Midget researchers...bare with me...ok?
I believe our John W Carter b1786 NC m Esther Midget abt 1809 Hyde Nc was born Halifax NC and is one of Giles Carter descentant.
1795Joseph Carter; John, Richard.(A Richard Carter lived next door to Wiley Wray and John W Carter Wilson Tn.
1799 Sarah Carter; Phillip, Jesse(here Philip Carter and Jesse.
Halifax NC-Will of Joseph Cotton-1894
Joseph CottonDec9 1794, Feb. Court1795
Daughter Lucy Russel 4 shillings….Elizabeth Jackson daughter of my last wife negros etc. and if she dies without heirs her legacy to go to my sons John Cotton and Richard Cotton…grandson John Simmonsnegros etc…..reminder of my estate to be divided between my 2 sons John and Richard, brothers of Sarah Claybourn Simmons and sons of my last wife when the said ``Richard is 18 and if ``John and Richard ``die under 18 the legacy to go to the suvivors.
Wit: Penelope Whitaker
Extrs: Cary Whitaker
``John Carter``, son of my last wife.
Note: Joe. is adding sons of his last wife, Richard and John Carter.
So it appears our John W Carter mother remarried after their father death, their father Joseph Carter death is noted in records which show Joseph and sons John and Richard are descendant of Giles Carter.
Here is a little info on Giles Carter and Jiles Carter in Halifax and a few other Carter's maybe info will help someone.
1. 140-(131) GILES CARTER JR. of Halifax Co. to WILLIAM CARTER of same. 16 Jun 1760. 1 horse and 30 , shillings current money. 150 acres, joining Northumberland Creek, HAWS. GILES CARTER(x). Wit ROBT. CARTER(x), CHARLES JOLLY JR., JOHN EZELL JR. Sept Ct 1760. CC: Jos. Montfort
2. 94-(150) EDWARD MONTFORT of Halifax Co. to JILES CARTER JR. of same. 1 act 1770. 40 pounds proclamation money. 348 acres which was part of a Granville Grant of 568 acres 10 May 1762 (220 acres of the grant sd MONTFORT had already sold to JOHN CARTER). EDWD. MONTFORT. Wit WILLIAM CARTER(x), DOYLE MILLS(x). Feb Ct 1772. CC: Jos. Montfort
3. 797-(287) JOHN CARTER of Rowan Co. to CHARLES CARTER of Halifax Co. 24 Aug 1779. 25.pounds of Virginia. 50 acres, joining ROSSER, CARTER, JOHNSON, Cymons Branch. JOHN CARTER(x). Wit THOS. ADKINS, WM. CARTER, WILLIAM LOWELL CARTER. Nov Ct 1779. CC: Ben McCulloch
4. 307-(271) GILES CARTER JR. to JOHN CARTER both of Halifax Co. 6 Dec 1760. 100 acres "betwixt the two Northumberlands",joining JOSEPH BRADLEY, CHARLES JOLLY, EDWARD MUMFORD. GILES CARTER Wit: JOHN EZELL JR, CHARLES JOLLEY, WM. CARTER(x). Jun Ct 1761.CC : J. Montfort
5. 639-(238) JILES CAR!ER of Halifax Co. to Robert Carter of Same.29 Jul 1762. 10 pounds proclamation money. 100 acres which was part of a Granville Grant to sd. JILES CARTER, joining WILLIAM CARTER, Bons(?). Jiles Carter (x) Wit: Edwd Montfort , Wm Carter (x). Jan Ct 1763 CC: Jos. Montfort.
6. 624 (510) JOSEPH CARTER to WILLIAM CARTER SR. of Halifax Co. 25 Mar .1799 30 pounds VA. 50 acres, joining SLEDGE, PIKE, PARSON, HAMLIN. JOSEPH(x)CARTER; WIt. , FRANCIS CARTER, JOHN(x)BAKER, JACOB(x)CARTER Nov Ct 1799. L. Long, CCt
7. 37 - (52)ROBERT CARTER of Halifax co. to EDWARD MONTFORT of same. 18 Nov 1770. 20 pounds proclamation money. 100 acres which was part of a Granville Grant of 640 acres to GILES CARTER 2 Jan 1760 and deeded to sd ROBERT CARTER 9 Ju11762, joining Cain Quarter Creek. ROBERT CARTER(x). WIt: JOSEPH CARTERS(x), JOHN POVEY. Nov Ct 1771. CC: Jos. Montfort
8. 88-(140) EDWARD MONTFORT of Halifax Co. to JOHN CARTER of same. 5 Aug 1769: 30 pounds proclamation money. 220 acres which was part of a Granville Grant to sd EDWD. MONTFORT, Joining JOHN MILLS, JOHN ROPER. EDWD. MONTFORT. Wit: CHARLES JOLLEY,JACOB CARTER(x). Feb Ct 1772. CC: Jos. Montfort
9. 284-(117) JILES CARTER to CHARLES CARTER. 6 Apr 1774. 10 pounds proclamation money. 100 acres joining JOSEPH PERRE, JOHN ROPER, MILLS. JILES CARTER JR. Wit: THOMAS EATON, WILLIAM CARTER(x). May Ct 1774. CC: Jos. Montfort
10. 769-(239) GILES CARTER of Bute Co. to WILLIAM SHANY [SHARRY(?) of same. 4 Feb 1778. 30 pounds Virginia money. 200 acres, joining JOHN CARTER, CURLE, PERSON. GILES CARTER (x). WIt: SAMUEL YEARGAIN, MARY YEARGIN, RICHARD SHANY [SHARRY?]. Aug Ct 1779. CC: Ben McCulloch
11. 870-(425) .JAMES JACKSON of Halifax Co. to ARCHIBALD SLEDGE of Warren Co. 14 Aug 1779. 600 pounds proclamatIon money. 640 acres, joining BENJAMIN BRADLEY, ELLIS, GILES CARTER, JOHN MUCHAMP. JAMES JACKSON, SUSANA JACKSON(x). Wit DANIEL SLEDGE, JOHN SLEDGE, PALY ANDERSON JACKSON. May Ct 1780. CC: Ben McCulloch
12. 290-(129) .JILES CARTER of .Halifax Co. to EDWARD MONTFORT of same. 17 Oct 1766. 12 pounds proclamatIon money. 50 acres which was part of a Granville Grant of 640 acres to sd JILES CARTER, joining JOHN CARTER, Northumberland Creek, sd MONTFORT. JILES CARTER(x). Wit: WILLIAM HALL, WILLIAM COLEY(x). Aug Ct 1774. CC: Jos. Montfort
13. 291-(130) JILES CARTER JR. of Halifax Co. to EDWARD MONTFORTof same. 17 Nov 1770. 120 acres which was part of a Granville Grant to sd JILES CARTER, joining EDWARD MONTFORT, ROBERT CARTER. JILES , CARTER(x). Wit: JOHN HYDE, WILLIAM CARTER. Aug Ct 1774. CC: Jos. Montfort
14. 292 (131) WILLIAM CARTER of Halifax Co: to EDWARD MONTFORT of same. 14 Jun 1769. 50 pounds of Virginia. 150 acres which was part of a Granville Grant to JILES CARTER JR. who conveyed it to sd WILLIAM CARTER, joining NorthumberlandCreek, CHARLES JOLLEY, JILES CARTER, HOWE. WILLIAM CARTER(x).WIt: BENJAMIN BRADLEY(x), JACOB CARTER, JILES CARTER. Aug Ct 1774. cc: Jos. Montfort
15. 293-(132) .JOHN CARTER SR. of Halifax Co. to EDWARD MONTFORT of same. 5 Aug 1769. 30 pounds proclamatIon money. 100 acres which was part of a Granville Grant to JILES CARTER who sold it to JOHN CARTER, joining JOSEPH BRADLEY, JOLLEY, Northumberland Creek, MONTFORT, BRADLEY. JOHN CARTER(x). Wit: CHARLES JOLLEY, JACOB CARTER(x). Aug Ct 1774. CC: Jos. Montfort
16. . 1412-(344) WILLIS RAWLS cooper of Onslow Co. to WEST WILKINS of Halifax Co. 19 Oct 1768. proclamation money. 150 acres, joining WHITEHEAD, BRANTLEY. WILLIS RAWLS. Wit: JOHN CARTER, JAS. WILKINS. Feb Ct 1769. CC: Jos. Montfort
17. 621-(218) WILLIAM WILKINS to JAMES WILKINS. 10 Apr 1763. 20 pounds of Virginia. 150 acres which was part of 500 acres patented to JOS. WALL 16 Nov 1738, on north side of Fishing Creek joining Short Swamp , WALL . WILLIAM WILKINS(x). Wit: ELIAS FORT, WEST WILKINS(x), PHILIP RAWLS(x) Jan Ct 1763 CC: Jos. Montfort
18. 800 (293) WM SHANY [SHARRY?] and NANCY his wife of Halifax Co. to WILLIAM JONES of same 7 Sept 1779( 200 Pounds proclamation money. 200 acres, joining Great Creek, CARTER, PERSON.WILLIAM SHANY(x), NANCY SHANY(X). Wit: RICHD. WILLIS. Nov Ct 1779. CC: Ben McCulloch
***19. 542-(441 ) Petition of JOHN CARTER His father JOSEPH CARTER died about 24 Dec 1794 testate leaving 553 acres, joining DEMPSEY PITMAN, RICHARD RUSSEL Land to be divided between sd JOHN CARTER & his Brother RICHARD CARTER Feb Ct 1799. Commissioners: WM. MERRITT ,ELEY B. WHITAKER, DEMPSEY PITTMAN, ROBERT BRANTLEY, JOHN WHITAKER Plat included. 553 acres joining Short Swamp, Beach Swamp, SPEER(?
) CHAMPION. lot 1 276 acres, joining Short Swamp, ARTHUR SPEAR.****
20. 285-(220) NANCY MARSHALL, widow of BENJAMIN MARSHALL, petitions for dower. she stated that her late husband died last March with will but did not leave her sufficient He owned 2 tracts. His heirs were his minor children: ELIZABETH MARSHALL, HOWELL R. MARSHALL, POLLY MARSHALL Her dower was 210 acres, joining CARTER, the road, JOHN WHIT AKER. Jurors: ELI B. WHITAKER, DEMPSEY PITTMAN, JOHN CARTER, MOSES PULLEN, JAS. WHITAKER, WM. MERRITT,M. HOWELL, RICHD. CARTER, CARRY WHITAKER, WM. WHITEHEAD, ROBT. WHITAKER, JAMES JONES. Nov Ct 1803. CC: L Long
21. 66-(489) BENJAMIN WELDON, WILLIAM WELDON, JOHN CARTER & his wife MARTHA, to their brother THOMAS SHORT WELDON. 20 May 1803. Deed of gift. 100 acres which was the remainder of land patented 1 Mar 1780 by SAML. WELDON dec'd, being the land where PENELOPE SIMMONS lived, on south side of Roanoke River. Wit: THOS. B. PETERSON, WILLM. B. MOORE, SAML BRANTLEY. Feb Ct 1805. Long
22. 623-(221) JOHN MUSHAMP [MUSHAM} of Halifax Co. to GEORGE MABURY of Granville Co. 5 ,Oct 1762 30 pounds Virginia currency. 100 acres Which was part of 600 acres granted to JOHN MUSHAMP decd. 20 Apr 1745. JOHN MUSHAM(x). Wit: ISAAC MABURY , JOHN MABURY , BENJAMIN CARTER. Jan Ct. 1763 CC: Jos. Montfort
23. 129-(109) ROBERT WARD of Halifax Co. to MAT C. WHITAKER of same. 10 Feb 1797. 1500 pounds. 974 acres which was part of land sd WARD purchased from EGBERT HAYWARD, & also part bought from STANTON, also a tract of DAVID WARDs, also a tract of ELISHA PITTMAN, joining Fishing Creek, WARD, JACKSON, Gaulberry [Branch?], WOOTEN, PITMAN, MARSHELL, ROWELL, FOREMAN. ROBERT WARD. Wit: WIlSON W. CARTER, JOHN CARTER. Feb Ct 1797. L Long, CCt
24. 122-(103) BENJAMIN ROWELL of Halifax Co. to WILSON W. CARTER of same. 3 Jan 1797. 500 pounds. 353 acres which were 1 tract CHAS. DANIEL deeded sd ROWELL Mar 1770 & 1 tract from DAVID HOLLOWAY in May 1784, on north side of Fishing Creek. BENJ.(x)ROWELL Wit: B. MARSHALL, JAS. FOREMAN, WM. F. ROWELL Feb Ct 1797. L. Long, CCt
25. 285-(225) WILSON W. CARTER & his wife MILLY of Halifax Co. to JOHN BRANCH of same. 22 Nov 1797. $1325. 300 acres which had been a Granville Grant to JOSEPH LANE in 1738, on south side of Burntcoat Swamp, Great Bridge. W. W. CARTER, MILLY CARTER. Wit: NICHOLS MOORE, JOHN NICHOLSON JR., JAS. BRANCH. Examined by John B. Ashe, Esqr, femme relinquished her right of dower. Nov Ct 1797. L Long, CCt
26. 286-(226) WILSON W. CARTER & his wife MILLY of Halifax Co. to MATHEW C. WHITAKER of same. 22 Nov 1797. 202 pounds 10 shillings V A 300 acres, joining Great Bridge, Burnt Coat Swamp, Beaver Dam Swamp, Bear Marsh, WHITAKER. W. W. CARTER, MILLY CARTER. Wit: NICHOLS MOORE, JOHN NICHOLSON JR., JAS. BRANCH. Examined by John Bashe(?), femme relinquished her right of dower. Nov Ct 1797. L Long, CCt
27. Will # 788 Pg. 500 WILLIAM CARTER 17 Mar. 1810 May Ct. 1810 lend wife DEANITIA CARTER negroes etc. for her widowhood or life and at her decease it to go to: WILLIAM CARTER, THEODERICK CARTER, JOSEPH CARTER and FRANCIS CARTER lend wife land whereon FRANCIS COLEY now lives joining WILLIAM PIKE and WOOD J. HAMLIN containing 50 acres daughter MARY SAWYER negroes and at her death the sd. negroes to go to her children (names not given) daughters MARTHA BAKER, NANCY BOSTON (?) and LUCY PIKE negroes each and to daughters' children (names not given) at death of the sd. daughters son FRANCIS CARTER land whereon He now lives which I bought of MARK RICKMAN and NATHAN RICKMAN, negroes etc. grand son WILLIAM CARTER son of FRANCIS and grand daughter LOUISA JONES CARTER and grand daughter POLLY HARRIS and grandson BELFIELD N. CARTER 1 negro each THORNTON MALLARD son of JOHN MALLARD decd. 1 colt Wit.: WOOD J. HAMLIN, JESSE CARTER X his mark, BENJAMIN CARTER X his mark Extrs.: son FRANCIS and WOOD JONES HAMLIN
28. Will # 224 pg.29 JAMES CARTER 7 Mar. 1775 Feb. Ct. 1776 money in COL. JOSEPH MONTFORT'S hands to be used for Debts JOHN ROACH jacket etc. DAVID CARTER a coat son WILLIAM CARTER coat, jacket etc. daughter CHARITY CARTER bed, furniture etc. and I likewise conferm the Wording to be good respecting my Wife (name not given) wrote last October son THOMAS CARTER a great coat residue of estate to be sold for the Benefit of all my younger children (names not given) Wit.: JAMES AMOS Extr .: (not given) Probate indicates ELIZABETH CARTER widow of the decd. entered into bond and qualified as extr .
29. Will # 225 pg. 30 CORNELIUS CARTER 9 May 1775 Feb. Ct. 1776 son WILLIAM WHITAKER CARTER all my estate real and personal the negroes to be kept on the plantation under an overseer to raise Stock father (name not given) 1 negro should son die without heir his part to be sold and money arrising to be equally divided between my sisters: CRISSE CARTER JANEY CARTER and MOLLEY CARTER son to go to school from age 9 to 16 Wit.: JOHN WHITAKER, JAMES JONES JR., CRISSE CARTER Extrs.: good friends JOHN WHITAKER and ROBERT WARD
30. Will # 239 pg. 57 ELIZABETH CARTER 3 Oct. 1776 Aug. ct. 1777 estate to be sold and the money put to the following uses: son DAVID CARTER 5 pounds when he comes of age sons THOMAS CARTER, WILLIAM CARTER and JOHN ROACH and daughters CATHARINE THURSBY, MARY KAYS, ALANDIS (?) ROACH, CHRISTIAN MEGS and ELIZABETH ROACH 1 shilling sterling each residue of money to my daughters CHARITY and JANE CARTER Wit.: HENRY JOYNER, BRIDGMAN JOYNER Extr .: WILLIAM MONTFORT
If other J W Carter researcher have put his family together and this is incorrect please feel free to fill me in. I a descentant of John W Carter and Esther Midget and been trying to put the Carters together for 10yrs now. But I think I have the right ones.
And a note here: Our family legend is Louisa Carter m Wiley Wray daugher of John and Esther was Cherokee. I find it very interesting the Cherokee Randel, Molton,Fredrick Carterswho were living Halifax NC went to Wilson Tn as well and are living by the Carters and Wrays.
So what do you guys think?? Am I finally on the right track?