Hi, Cousin Curtis! I found six Chaffee "branches" listed in "The Chaffee Genealogy" that had people moving to Minnesota.
1) Allen6 Bennett Chaffee (Otis5, Atherton4, David3, Nathaniel2, Thomas1)was the brother of my mother's greatgrandfather. Born Vt, 1802, died "Brooklyn" (St. Louis Co., NE Minn) in 1858. Moved to Minn 1854 with his family. Among his six children, one, Jacob Warren, b. 1842, hadeight children, five boys, between 1868 and 1882, names Rudolph Allen, Adolph Warren, George Charles, Ira Eugene, and Walter Henry. Jacob was living in "Dora"? (Dora Lake?), Minn in 1890, as a farmer. Nothing further on this branch.
2) Samuel7 Chaffee (William6, Isaiah5, Joseph4, John3, Joseph2, Thomas1) was b. Enfield, Conn Nov 3, 1801, died Red Wing, Minn, 1856 just before the rest of his family (wife and ten children) arrived. (very interesting story in the book). The last of his children, William, b. Conn 1848, married in Red Wing, 1876. In 1887 William was living in Minneapolis with his children, including Samuel W., b.1876, William H., b 1880, and Clinton E., b 1887. Nothing further.
3) Rev. James Franklin7 Chaffee (James Cady6, Stephen5, James4, Joseph3, Joseph2, Thomas1) was b. NY 1827, entered ministry 1848, m. in Ill 1849, served as Chaplain of the 5th Minn from Fort Snelling during part of Civil War, 1862. Lived Minneapolis 1883, CA 1908. Seven of his nine children died young. One son, Hugh Goheen, b 1868, apparently alive in 1908. Nothing further.
4) William8 Chaffee (Henry7, Nathaniel6, Nathaniel5, Nathaniel4, Johnathon3, Nathaniel2, Thomas1) b. VT or NY, no date; Father b. VT 1802. William "married Cornelia ______, and had two dau and several sons; moved to Minn."
5) Amos Wells7 Chaffee (William6, Noah5, Nathaniel4, Johnathon3, Nathaniel2, Thomas1)
b. PA 1810, m. PA 1834. Lived PA, then Wis abt 1863-?, and, in 1893, was living in Minn. Fourteen Children; 2-3 m. and lived in PA, 1-2 m. and lived in Wis., most lived "Fort Ridgely"(?)/ Rock Creek/ Pine City/ Rush City/ "Eunice"(?), (East Central) Minn. One or two lived Byron, SE Minn. Son William Edgar, b. 1845, m. 1893, living Fort Ridgely 1893. Guy S., b 1849, m., living Fort Ridgely, 1893.CURTIS M.,(your namesake?)b Dec 29, 1857, PA; m Ella Shurl; residence, 1893, "Eunice", Minn.Hiram Sawyer, b 1851, PA, m. Byron, Minn, 1873. Lived in "Kalmar" 1873, Byron 1893. Seven children. Son Raymond b 1874, son Vernon b. 1879, and an unnamed child b. Aug 10, 1893.
6) Henry8 Chaffee (Miner7, Thomas6, Thomas5, Johnathon4, Johnathon3, Nathaniel2, Thomas1) b. Mass 1826, Moved to Chicago 1850, "commercial traveller" until moved to Faribault, Minn in 1857, living there 1890, as a miller, farmer and merchant.Married, Ohio, 1870. Yes, Ohio, 1870! Children, b. Faribault, Mary Grace, b 1872, Federick Miner, b. 1874, Thomas Knowlton, b 1877.
So, do you recognize any locations? Walt, Roy, Avis, or Myrtle born or lived in any of those towns? Curtis your namesake? Good luck, happy hunting! Steve.