I'm answering both of your new GenForum postings, Jill, which pertain to the same Chamberlain/lin family.Let me begin by stating that, although you said you "know" that George was born in New Jersey, that just because the 1870 census said so, it ain't necessarily so!Other census records, and a genealogy I have here for this family, list his birth place as Massachusetts - not New Jersey, and there is no other evidence that his parents ever lived in New Jersey, though it is certainly possible.
George Metcalf (7) Chamberlain was born September 1827, probably Royalston, Worcester Co., MA, 1 of 5 known children of Joel(6) Chamberlain, b. 21 Feb 1799, and Polly Metcalf, residents of Royalston, Worcester Co., MA, Wilmington, Windham Co., VT, and Sennett, Cayuga Co., NY.The ancestral line of descent is listed as: John(5), Simeon(4), Thomas(3), Samuel(2), Thomas(1) Chamberlain.Thomas(1) was one of the five original Chamberlain immigrant ancestors in early New England, brother of two of the others - Edmund and William.George's brother, Charles Mitchell(7) Chamberlain, b. c1829, was unmarried at the time of the 1860 census, and was perhaps married to someone named Mary at the time of the 1870 census (Mary was the same age as George and living with the family, and has not been identified as a sibling, though she could be a cousin, I suppose).In 1880 Charles had been married for 10 years to "Emma T.", whom I have listed here as Evina Isabella Ogden.So, Charles may have been married twice, but this is uncertain.
Here are some census data for these persons (data also available for Joel(6), but not included here:
- 1860 Census, Sennett, Cayuga Co., NY, J? M? Chamberlin, p. 450, #163/163, 22 Jun 1860, age 32, farmer, $500/4795, b. MA; Sarah, age 31, house work, b. NY; also William Walt?, age 24, b. NY
- 1870 Census, Elbridge, Onondaga Co., NY, George Chamberlin, p. 158A #124/122, 4 Jun 1870, age 40, farmer, b. NJ, U. S. Citizen; Charles, age 35, farmer, b. NJ, U. S. Citizen; Mary, age 35, kpg h., b. NY; June or Jane, age 28, b. NY; John, age 6, attends school, b. NY; Alice, age 9, attends school, b. NY
- 1880 Census, Elbridge, Onondaga Co., NY, Geo. M. Chamberlin, p. 136B, head, age 53, farming, MA/MA/MA; Sarah J., wife, age 52, keeping house, NY/NJ/NJ; Alice A., dau., single, age 19, teacher, NY/-/-; John R., son, age 16, farmer, NY/-/-; Mary A., dau., age 7, NY/-/-; also Fred Downey, relationship "other", single, age 22, farm laborer, NY/-/-; Mary A. Higgins, sister-in-law, single, age 60, companion, NJ/NJ/NJ
- 1880 Census, Elbridge, Onondaga Co., NY, Chas. W. Chamberlin, p. 136B, head, age 49, farmer, MA/MA/MA; Emma T., wife, age 35, keeping house, NY/NY/NY; Frank O., son, age 10, school, NY/-/-.Living next door is brother Geo. M. Chamberlin.
- 1900 Census, Elbridge, Onondaga Co., NY, p. 162A, #188/193, 11 Jun 1900, George Chamberlain, head, widowed, age 72, b. Sep 1827, married 35 years, farmer, owns, MA/MA/MA; Alice, daughter, single, age 39, b. Mar 1861, house keeping, NY/MA/NY; Mary, daughter, single, age 26, b. June 1873, NY/MA/NY; also James Shanahan, servant, single, age 28, b. Jan 1872, farm laborer, NY/IRE/IRE.Living next door is John R. Chamberlain & family.
- 1900 Census, Elbridge, Onondaga Co., NY, p. 162A, #189/194, 11 Jun 1900, John R. Chamberlain, head, age 36, b. Sep 1863, married 10 years, farmer, owns, NY/MA/NY; Julia S., wife, age 35, b. Dec, 1864, married 10 years, 4 children, 4 living, NY/NY/NY; Louise R., daughter, age 8, b. Aug 1891, at school, NY/NY/NY; George M., son, age 6, b. Feb 1894, at school, NY/NY/NY; Bertha M., son [sic], male, age 3, b. Dec 1896, NY/NY/NY; John R., son, age 2, b. May 1898, NY/NY/NY; also Raymond Stevens, servant, single, age 17, b. Sep 1882, farm laborer, NY/NY/NY
As you can see, John R. Chamberlain/lin is listed with his family in these records.Regarding the surname spelling of Chamberlain or Chamberlin, it was evidently spelled Chamberlain in Joel's generation, but it is unclear whether some of Joel's children changed it - perhaps you have family records which might confirm this.Please contact me via Email if you wish to discuss this information in greater detail.If you do, please let me know how you are related to this Chamberlain/lin family.