This post is made to summarize my research into the children of James Cheney and Hannah (Boynton) Cheney. James is listed in Pope's "The Cheney Genealogy" on pages 337 and 417, his children on page 417. I have been able to confirm most of what Pope wrote, and in the case of Abner Jones Cheney to add quite a bit. See post no. 1447 in this forum for my post about James and Hannah (Boynton) Cheney.
Abner Jones Cheney, 6th son and 11th child of James Cheney and Hannah Boynton.
- b. 15 Feb 1815 Coit’s Gore or Bakersfield (later Waterville), Franklin (later Lamoille) County, Vermont. [Note: This date comes from the Greenwood Cemetery monument transcription; Pope has 28 Feb as the birth date.]
- I find no mention of Abner in the Waterville Town Records. I have not checked the Bakersfield Town or Vital Records (Bakersfield had jurisdiction over the part of Coit’s Gore where the Cheney family lived prior to it becoming Waterville).
- removed to Ohio bef. 1840. Since Abner married in Ohio on 4 October 1840 (age 25), he must have emigrated there as a single man; have not yet found him in the 1840 census.
- was a clergyman and a farmer.
- married Sarah Ordway, 4 October 1840, Huron County, Ohio. She was the daughter of Nehemiah and Eleanor (Ferrand) Ordway. She had a brother Amherst Ordway.
- had children: Amherst b. 27 Oct 1841 in Huron Co, Ohio—a civil war veteran; Nehemiah b. 1843 in Ohio (wife may have been Nettie who is buried in Greenwood Cemetery); Zera V. b. 19 June 1844 in Huron Co, Ohio; Sabrie b. 5 March 1846 in Calhoun Co, Michigan.
- removed to Calhoun Co. MI in 1845; living in Albion Township in 1850; removed to Kent County MI 1858.
- living in Sparta, Kent County, Michigan in 1860.
- died 10 Aug 1861, Sparta, Kent County, Michigan; buried in Greenwood Cemetery.
- spouse Sarah Cheney died 1 Nov 1881, age 60, in Sparta, Kent County, Michigan; buried in Greenwood Cemetery. Others buried in this family plot include Nettie Cheney and Elsby L. Cheney, both with the designation “S.L.-Rev A.J.”
The monument inscription data for Greenwood Cemetery, Sparta Township, Kent County, Michigan was obtained from this website: http://kent.migenweb.net/cemeteries/sparta/greenwood/98cach.htmlhttp://kent.migenweb.net/cemeteries/sparta/greenwood/98cach.html
Short biographies of Amherst Cheney, Zera Cheney, and Sabrie Cheney Cummings (and her husband Marcene Cummings) are included in "History of Kent County, Michigan: together with sketches of its cities, villages and townships, educational, religious, civil, military, and political history, portraits of prominent persons, and biographies of representative citizens: history of Michigan, embracing accounts of the pre-historic races, aborigines, French, English and American conquests, and a general review of its civil, political and military history" Chicago: C.C. Chapman & Co., 1881, 1414 pgs. This work gives birth locations of the children of Abner Jones Cheney, and dates of the family’s relocations.
Abner Jones Cheney appears to have been named for Abner Jones of Morristown, Lamoille County, Vermont. Abner Jones married Abigail Cheney and together they had children. I have not been able to determine the connection between Abigail Cheney and James Cheney. Some Internet sources suggest Abner Jones’ full name was Abner Cheney Jones, but I have not been able to confirm that.
I have this data in more detailed form with specific source citations. Please contact me for additional information. I would enjoy making contact with any descendants of Abner Jones Cheeny.