Am intensely interested in the ancestry of John K Clear of Saltville, VA.
JOHN K CLEAR was born abt 1810 in VA (1850 census) and died May 31, 1878, in Smyth Co, VA. He married ELIZA UNKNOWN. She was born January 18, 1818, in VA, and died June 05, 1894 in Smyth Co, VA. Both are buried in the "second" Buchanan Cemetery on the west side of Rte 42 in Smyth Co, VA.
Children of JOHN CLEAR and ELIZA UNKNOWN are:
1. SARA ANN CLEAR, b. Abt. 1833 (1850 census)
2. STEPHEN RUTLEDGE CLEAR, b. January 31, 1836, Tazewell Co, VA; d. December 10, 1922, Smyth Co, VA (date per confed military record)
3. SUSAN CLEAR, b. Abt. 1839
4. SOLOMON CLEAR, b. Abt. 1840
5. JOHN CLEAR, b. Abt. 1841, VA
6. MARY CLEAR, b. Abt. 1843
7. EMILY CLEAR, b. Abt. 1845
8. WILLIAM CLEAR, b. Abt. 1847
9. CALEDINEA (CALDONY) CLEAR, b. Abt. 1849; d. 1931, Smyth Co, VA
10. BENJAMIN RUSH FLOYD CLEAR, b. July 15, 1851, Smyth Co, VA (1870 census); d. December 13, 1925, Chatham Hill, Smyth Co, VA
11. AMANDA JANE CLEAR, b. Abt. 1853 (1870 census)
12. OSCAR GEORGE CLEAR, b. Abt. 1860 (1870 census); d. 1933, Smyth Co, VA
An 1838 property tax record for Smyth Co reveals a James and Henry Clear. Henry may have been John's brother. Also the 1840 Smyth Co census reveals a Phebe (right next to Henry), who may have been the matriarch.