My g grandmother was Elizabeth Grace Young. She married John Closs and they resided in Carlow Twp in Ontario. John Closs and Elizabeth Grace Closs were grandparents of my mother, Audrey Alena German who resided in Carlow/Mayo Twp. She lived close to Elizabeth Grace and remembers her and many of the Closs family.
Before she passed away, my mother recorded what she could remember of the Closs family from Carlow Twp. Her notes are summarized below.
John Closs came to Canada from Scotland ( I suspectIreland). He brought with him a son from his first marrage by the name John McFadden Closs who move to Ottawa.
John Closs married Elizabeth Grace Young and the lived in Carlow Twp.Their children were William, Jim, Racheal, Janet Elizabeth, Annie, Grace, Mable, Adela and Jean.John Closs died relatively early and left his wife Elizabeth Grace to raise the children.
Mother's notes related to the children are as follows:
1. Janet Elizabeth married Fred Miller. They lived most of their lives in Mayo Twp which was originally joined with Carlow Twp. Toward the end of their lives they moved toPrince Edward County. Their children were Mary Jane, Ethel Grace, Muriel Elizabeth, Audrey Alena, Mae Lucinda, Evelyn Edna and Wilfred.
2. William whom my mother refers to as Uncle Will lived in Capreol, died of a stroke in a nursing home in that district. Was married to Pearl ?). They were separated. They had two sons (names unknown).
3. Jim Clossmarried Irene Stewart from Boulter (in Carlow Twp). They had two children, Mary and Ron . Uncle Jim worked at the mines at Copper Cliff, Ont. As a widow Irene moved back to Boulter. Mom wrote to Ron after her death but received no response.
4. Jean lived in Hamilton but was not remembered by my mother as being around the Closs family at Carlow/Mayo when mother was growing up.
5 Rachel married John Franklin . They lived in the states and then moved to Quesnel B.C.Not sure how many children they had. Mom indicates several son, a daughter Grace and a daughter Veneice.Veneice married Len Knudson and they lived near Quesnel on a huge parcel of land. My mother corresponded with Veneice over the years and visited her once at Quesnel.
6 Annie (married ?). Her daughter Edna married a McVittie. They had one son (name ?) That's all mother remembers of Annie.
7. Mabel McFadden (I believe that means that she married a McFadden). They had a son Bernard who lived in Hamilton.Mabel married a second time to a Smith and they resided in Midland.Mother's grandmother Elizabeth Grace Closs was visiting Mabel in Midland when she took ill, died, and was buried there.
8. Adela lived at Craigmont. Ontario and my mothers note indicates that she ended her life following a love affair
9. Grace lived in Toronto and died unmarried.
These are the main component's of my mother's memory and notes related to John and Elizabeth Grace Closs.
I have a picture of mother's grandmother Elizabeth Grace Closs standing together with her mother Janet Elizabeth Miller and a few more details concerning Veneice and others which I woun't include here.
Because my mother grew up close to her grandmother, I believe her memory is reasonable accurate but would welcome any additional information, clarification, corrections that might materialize as a result of this posting.