I'm interested in the Goerge Cogbill family in Chesterfield County, VA.George had a daughter, Sally who married Jesse Goode.Does anyone know who Jesse's parents were?
Here is my copy of George's will:
1786, Feb 16 - assumed this is this George - will in Chesterfield co., Va. - to son John, son Charles, son Jesse, grandson Edward Goode, to grandchildren John Jackson and mary jackson - their father Ezekiel Jackson.To two grandsons Thomas Nelson Cobgill and George Washington Cogbill.Exec: sons Charles, John and Jesse.Wit: George Cogbill, Jr., Daniel Franklyn, Jesse Cogbill.
Question = is the witness, George Cobgill, Jr. his son?Who is Daniel Franklyn?
More Cogbill questions:
1. Who is Hill Cogbill that witnessed Peter Baugh's will in 1788? Is he son of Thomas Cogbill and Ann Hill?Witnesses to Thomas' will was an Edward Goode.Edward was the father of John Goode, who married Sarah Brown and moved to Bedford County.Are there Brown and Cobgill connections in Henrico or Chesterfield County?
2. Chesterfield Co., Va. deed bk 11-Page 516: Indenture made 9 April 1789. Between Aaron Ferguson of Chesterfield Co., and James Gill, same, Gill bought 37 ½ acres. Witnesses: John Cogbill, Edward Dance, Daniel Dyson Recorded: April, 1789. Is the Dance clan also related to Cogbills?Two of Francis Dyson's daughters married Gills, and one married a Dance.
3. 1765, April 6 - deed bk 5 page 316 - Chesterfield Co., Va. - Charles Burton of Chesterfield Co., to Peter Johnson of same, for L 40, land on south side Swift Creek, 190 acres; being all of tract said Burton lives on, adjoining James Franklyn, Thomas Dance, and Thomas Burton.Wit: Arch'd McRobert, George Cogbill, Jr., Joseph Watkins. Signed: Charles Burton..... Did George Cogbill have a Junior?
4. 1761, Nov 6 - deed bk 3 pg 417 - Joseph Franklyn of Chesterfield Co to Peter Baugh of same land given to said Joseph by his father is his will, being part of land were said James Franklyn lived at his death on south side of Long Swamp, 150 acres, adjoining charles Burton, Thomas Dance, George Couzins and said Baugh.Wit. Richard Covington, Isham Thompson, Thomas Cogbill.Franklyn's wife released her dower. .... Is this Tohomas Cogbill a brother to George?
5. 1791, June 23 - will in Chesterfield Co., Va. will of Robert Donald - Wit: Jesse Cogbill, A. Bass, Arch'd McDonald, John Royall. .... Who are the above witnesses? This Robert Donald was a merchant and married Nancy Osborne, dau. of Thos. Osborne and Frances Friend.
6.1767, Dec 4 - Chesterfield Co. Deed bk 5 page 515 - Edward Bolling of Dale Parish, Chesterfield Co. to John Watkins of same county, land on both sides of Third Branch of Swift Creek, 386 acres, bounded by Daniel Ferguson and Newby.Signed: Ed Bolling, Wit: George Cogbill, Jr., Daniel Weisiger, Arch'd Broadie.Rec. 4 Dec 1767.....Is this George Jr. actually Charles and Jesse's father or grandfather?
7.1751, Dec 4 - Chesterfield Co., Va. deed bk 1 page 290 - Cornelius Short of Dale Parish, Chesterfield Co., to Alexander Smith for L35, land on south side of Swift Creek, bounded by James Farguson, Alder Branch, the Iron Mine Line, John Ellit and Moses Farguson; it being land said Short bought of Francis hesterly that Hesterly had of John Nash, 145 acres.Wit: George Cogbill, Jr., Joseph Smith, Mary (M) Blakley.Recorded Dec 6, 1751.Short's wife relinguished her dower........Yes here he is again.
8. 1766, Aug 12 - Chesterfield Co. deed bk 5 page 371 - John Ferguson of Chesterfield Co. to William Cogbill of same, 400 acres bounded by Ezekiel Jackson, Joseph Watkins, William Loftis, James Smith and Grissell.Signed John Ferguson, George Cogbill, Jr., Joseph Watkins, and Joseph Ferguson.Recorded 5 Sept 1766.Ferguson's wife released her dower......This William is too old to be a son of George.Who is he?
9.Deed book 11 Chesterfield co.
Page 505: Indenture made 6 Sept. 1788. Between Robert Gill of Chest. Co., and Isham Wells, same co. Gill sold 300 acres. Begins at Benjamin Gill's land, mentions land of George Vaden, Michael Wells, William Cogbill, John Cleaton, Aaron (Tarye's?) Robert Gill (mark) Witnesses: James Gill, William Eames, Edward Dance Recorded: Feb., 1789...... Here is William again.
= = = = = = =
I am mainly researching the following surnames in Chesterfield - Gill, Goode, Brown, Dance, Ferguson.But these Cogbills keep turning up.
Any help will be appreciated.