Additions and Corrections to the Cole Family Pedigree:
For original pedigree see: Barnes, Robert W., "British Roots of Maryland Families", Vol. I, 1995,pp.124-126.
6. William Co(a)le, son of Humphrey (5)
Additional records from Accomac-Northampton Co., Va.
20 Sep 1642:A Headright Certificate for 5 persons granted to William Cole:
William Cole, Richard Mason, Luke Billington, Thomas Price and
John Hinmon.( Ames, County Court Records:Accomack-
Northampton, Va., 1640-1645, p. 204)
18 Nov 1642:Deposition of Edmund Scarborough, 24, that Levin Denwood
said he gave Wm. Cole 100 acs. situated on Nuswattock Creek,
adj. Garret Andrews, and the said Mr. Cole was to seat there
with three hands.(Ames, Ibid, p. 216-217).
28 Nov 1642:Deposition of Mr. John Rosier, Minister, that Levin Denwood,
being at Mr. Cole's house, confessed that he gave the sd Mr.
Cole 100 acrs whereon he is now seated.(Ames, Ibid, p. 220-
5 Apr 1647:Ordered by the Court that a Comission of Administration be
granted to John Henman upon the Estate of William Cole, dec'd,
as Creditor to the estate,he putting in security to the Court.
(Northampton Co., Va. Record Book, Vol. 3 1645-1651, p.
150, ed. by Dr Howard Mackey, Picton Press, ca 1999)
1 Aug 1665:Richard Hinman (son of John) granted 100 acs, Accomac Co.,
granted to William Cole, dec'd and lately found to escheat...
(Nugent, Cavaliers and Pioneers, Vol. I, p. 463)
Notes on William Cole (d. 1669) of St. Jerome's, St. Mary's Co., Md.
This William Cole has been identified as the son of Humphrey Cole of Tillingham
and the father of William Cole of Anne Arundel Co., Md (d. ca 1678) by Willis B. Coale in his work: "The Coale Family: Nine Generations" and by Elise Greenup Jourdan in Vol. 10 of her "Early Families of Southern Maryland" Series.
The following records make this doubtful:
19 Dec 1643:A William Cole listed as a headright by Cesar Puggett for 800 acs
in Lower Norfolk Co., Va. (Nugent, op. cit., p. 150)
22 Aug 1647:William Lucas pat. 800 acs, Lower Norfolk Co., granted to
Cesar Huggett (sic) and due Lucas by his marrying the relict
and Administratrix of Cesar Huggett (sic) and taken up as
deserted land.(Nugent, ibid. p. 169.)
1650/1:William Cole, immigrated to Md., transporting his wife Sarah and
dau. Susan, and claimed three headrights,along with William
Lucas, who transported his wife and claimed 2 rights. Skordas,
pp. 98 and 169, citesLand Book ABH, folio 201, for both of
them.The Rent Rolls for St. Mary's Co. show no pats. or land
ownership for either of them. ("St. Mary Co., Md., Rent Rolls,
1639-1771, pub. by T.L.C. Genealogy, Miami Beach, 1993.)
However, On 20 Oct 1662 a survey for 550 acs, "Colebrooke"
in Somerset Co. was made for William Cole, his wife Sarah, dau.
Susan, and four servants. (Prob. 100 acs each for the Coles, 50
acs each for the servants, and50 acs for his service). (Torrence,
Old Somerset on the Eastern Shore of Md.,pp.471, 475.)
He was granted a patent on25 May 1663, and sold the land to
Richard Witty of Somerset Co. on 15 Dec 1668. (Archives of
Md. Vol, 57, pp. 402-3).
This seems to indicate that all six of the other children of William and Sarah Cole
were born in St. Mary's Co. after they immigrated, and it is difficult to see how his son, William, could be born in St. Mary's Co. around 1653 or later and marry in Anne Arundel Co. in 1654, as William Cole of Anne Arundel Co. did.Also, the fact that this William's first record in Va.appears to be 1643 would eliminate
him as the son William that Humphrey Cole says is in Va. in 1623/4.The Will of
William Coale of St. Jerome's is dated25 Mar 1659, which would mean that he
and his wife had six children in 7 years, but I suspect that is an error for 1669, as it was proved 17 Jul 1669.The reason for the lack of land records for him and William Lucas, also of St. Jerome's, is explained by the following Chancery case:
27 May 1677: Wm. Guyther, gent., Complaintant vs Ignatius Mathew, an infant,
son and heir of Thomas Mathew,Jr. dec'd, who was son and heir to Thomas Mathews, Sr, dec'd, by Wm. Boareman, Gent., his guardian, Defendant.
Complt. Bill presented in Oct Court 1674 States that Capt Wm Hawley, late of St. Mary's Co., Esqr. having right to 6,000+ acs of land from Jerome Hawley Esqr. late of sd Province, dec'd.granted to sd Wm. Hawley on St. Jerome's creek.He, about 1654 made his will, giving the land to sd Complt who was an infant of about two years, and died, leaving Complt. legally entitled to the land.
He, having come to the age of 21, wanted an account from the persons who had held and enjoyed the land.But sd Thomas Mathews, Sr, (and others) including William Clawe and Sarah, his wife, widow of William Cole, dec'd, and Richard Cole, an infant son of William Cole, having combined to defeat the Complt. of his
right and title to the premises, had gotten into possession of several parcels and the original will of sd Capt. Hawley, which they did surpress and conceal, nor would they show by what right or title they held the same... Sd Thomas Mathews the elder's depositon is presented, setting forth that he believedsd Wm Hawley had right to the premises and that the Complt. was his Godson, and great friend of Nicho. Guyther, father of the Complt., who was taken a prisoner at Severn and sentenced to be shot to death, but escaped to England.His return and the circumstances of Wm. Hawley writing his will and then dying are given along with much more information.The Justices voted to allow Wm. Guyther to renew his suit, which he does and they find in his favor - that the will was written and made him the heir.Any deeds or sales by Nicholas Guyther are declared invalid and W. Guyther gets the entire amount of land, and the defendents have to pay court costs. (Archives of Md. Vol. 51, pp. 496-503.)
7.Thomas Cole, 2nd son of Humphrey (5)Additional records:
14 May 1635:Charles Harmer testified at court that the following persons were
and are his servants: a list of 19 names follow, plus Harmer and
his wife, Ann, one being Thomas Cole, for a land certificate for
1050 acs., for whicha pat. was granted 4 Jun 1635.
(Nugent, Cavaliers and Pioneers, Vol. I, p. 28.)
16 May 1636:In the Accounts of Cloberry and Co. at Kent Island, Thomas
Cole was paid 5 pounds 5 shillings for wages this year, for
trading in boats.
20 Sep 1636:William Cole was paid for clothes when he was free, and for
some work afterwards 163 lbs tobacco and 2 pounds 14 shillings
snd 4 pence.
12 Apr 1637:Thomas Cole was paid for wages in our boats, 6 pounds, 3
shillings, 4 pence.
(Md. Hist. Mag. Vol 28, 1933, pp 174-176)
31 Apr 1643:The Court granted Ms. Elizabeth Harmer, dau of Chas. Harmer.
dec'd, in his right, a certificate for 14 persons, including Thomas
Cole and John Cole. (Ames, Op. Cit. p. 301)
10 Feb 1643/4:The court granted Ms Elizabeth Harmer, in the right of her
father, three rights fot Thomas Cole, John Stoner and Thos.
Symonds.(Ames, Op. Cit. p. 330.)Pat granted for 1200
acs, 1050 by pat dtd 4 Jun 1635, plus 150 acs for thetrans.
of the above three.(Nugent, Op. Cit., p.155)
29 Dec 1647:Ordered that the boat belonging to Thomas Cole be appraised
by men whom the men and Thomas Cole think fit.
(Northampton Record Book 3, 1645-1651, p. 234)
18 Dec 1649:Ordered that Richard Beard pay to John Johnson, Sr., Joyner,
550 lbs tobacco, for it appears that Richar Beard, without License
or pass, transported Thomas Cole out of the County.Sd Cole
engaged to sd Johnson for 500 lbs tobo. Therefore ordered that
Richard Beardpay sd Johnson the sd debt.Court charges, on
the petition of sd Beard, that Thomas Cole pay him the like
quanity of 500 lbs tobo and cask and court charges. (Ibid., p.376-
20 May 1650:Thomas Cole demanded 200 acs of land for transporting himself
and his wife, Priscilla into this province the last year at his own
charge.Warrent to lay out 200 acs for Thomas Cole, at Parson's
Neck upon the Isle of Kent Co. or any part of that, or Anne
Arundel Co., by Michaelmas next. (Md Land Pat Book 2, p.
27 Oct 1651:Pat. for Cole's Cliffs, 200 acs. South River Hundred, AA Co, adj.
"Todd", neighbor, Thomas Todd. (Sold to Patrick and Margaret
Dunken in 1663). (Hall, R. W., Early Landowners of Md., Vol.
I, Anne Arundel Co., p. 43)
1658:Letter from Elizabeth Harris to London lists Early Quakers in
Anne Arundel Co., including Richard Beard and Thomas and
William Cole.(Kelly, J. R., Quakers in the Founding of Anne
Arundel Co., Md., p. 16. )
19 Oct 1665:Thomas Cole pats. "Coles Point", 50 acs with rights assigned by
George Puddington.According to the Rent Roll of 1707 it was on
the eastern side of Fuller's Creek on the Severn River, but Hall
places it in South River Hundred by Fishing Creek.He may have
patented "Coles Quarter",100acs, about the same time.
According to a deposition,a John Merekin pat. 100 acs, part of a
tract called "New Scotland" on the N. side of the Severn River,
east side of Scotcher's Creek, adjoining "Coles Quarter", and the
Rent Roll lists a "Merekin, 50 acs, surv. 1 Jun 1664 for Christian
Merikin, N. side Severn River, N. side Scotcher's creek, near
"Coles Point" (Md Rent Rolls, Balt. and AA Cos., pp 240-241)
A deed of sale for both "Cole's Point", 50 acs. and "Coles Quarter"
100 acs, dtd 10 Jun 1684, from John Kelly to Theophilius Hackett,
has "Cole's Point" on the mouth of Fuller's creek and on the S side
of the line ofEdward Skidmore, while "Coles Quarter" is given as
on the N side of Skidmore's line, along Chestnut swamp to
Scotcher's creek, part of the Estate of Thomas Cole, dec'd.,who
sold it toJohn Kelly, Sr., dec'd.("Abstracts of Land Records of
AA Co, Md.", Vol. I., pp. 135, 156.)
8.William Coale, son of Willliam (6)
Correction.The lack of this William being listed in the 1625 Census, or any indication that William Cole (d. 1647) had a son in his Accomac-Northamption records, make it unlikely that William Coale (d. ca. 1678) of Anne Arundel Co. was his son.However, the name of a Willi. Cole as the last name in a pat. for Mr. Wm. Stone for 1800 acs in Accomac Co. dtd 4 Jun 1635, just ahead of the 4 Jun 1635 pat. to Mr Charles Harmer, in which Thomas Cole is the second name, (Nugent, op. cit., pp. 27-29), and the fact that a William Cole and Thomas Cole were both working forCapt. William Claybourne on Kent Island at the same time, and that Thomas Cole and William Cole were together in Anne Arundel Co. where they both became Quakers at the same time, certainly seems to indicate some sort of relationship between them.
The records of William Coale (d. 1678) and his family are presented in Elise Greenup Jourdan's Vol. 10 of her "Early Families of Southern Md." series,
pp. 217-241 and are very complete and accurate, with the exception of his being identified as William, the son of William Cole of St Jerome's (d. 1669), who probably died before he reached the age of 21.
9.John Cole, son of William (6)
Correction:No evidence that he was a son of this William.
He was not the John Cole who married Mary Beedle.He probably was
the John Cole who was listed with Thomas Cole in Elizabeth Harmer's
land certificate of 31 Aug 1643. (Ames, Op. Cit. p. 301)
1650:Ralph Hawkins demands land for transporting himself, his wife,
Margaret, and Ralph, William and Mary, his children, and John
Cole. (Coldham, P. Settlers of Md., 1701-1730, p. 32, and p. 78,
citesRY 1/228 -Repatent of "Hawkins"600 acs., in 1714, by
William Hawkins, grandson of Ralph).Hall, op. cit., p. 101, gives
"Hawkins" as patented. (1)0 /17/1652, 500 acs. Liber ABH, p.280.,
but the Rent Roll has:"Hawkins",600 acs. surv. 27 Sep 1652,
which would include John Cole's headright, Broad and Town
Hundred, near Maggothy River. It adds" Wm Hawkins of Patapsco
is son and heir of the sd Ralph Hawkins.He does not claim this
land, nor has his father ever alienated it, that appears, but the
land is now in other surveys possesed" (Which is why William
Hawkins, son of this William repatented it.) (Md Rent Rolls,
op cit., p.231).It is possible that John Cole came with Thomas
Cole, in 1649, and sold his Headright to Ralph Hawkins.
20 Nov 1662:John Cole sold Thomas Martin 50 acres, part of 200 acs.
that John Cole, together with Francis Gill, Jeremiah Sullivant,
and Henry Parry bought of William Hunt, part of 642 acs
called "Carter Bennett Relation" (They had probably pooled
their rights for service).On 8 Jan 1696, Richard Wells
of AA Co., Farrier, and Mary his wife, dau. and heir of
Thomas Martin, dec'd, deeded 25 acs out of the 50 acs.
to Morgan Jones of AA Co., Carpenter, "Divided by a line
from White Oak Branch to the land of the late Francis Holland,
E. to the Chesapeake Bay, N. to land of Jeremiah Sullivant,
now in poss. of John Sollars, except a 15 ft. house, standing
by the bay, commonly called the Cole house, and a 15 ft sq.
graveyard, the burying place of Thomas Martin, father of Mary.
for 10,000 lbs tobo. (Abstracts of Land Records, AA Co., Md.
1662-1703, p. 111.) (Deed rec. 21 Jan 1696, Liber B, fol. 310)
In the Maryland Rent Roll of 1707 for AA Co., Herring Creek
Hundred, the first tract given is "Carter", 600 acs. surv. 28 Oct
1651 for Capt, Edward Carter, near Herring Creek Bay.
It was owned as follows:100 acs Wm. Durrumple, 50 acs.
Henry Archer's orphans, 25 acs Thomas Watkins, 25 acs
Morgan Jones, 100 acs Walker Emerton.The Watkins and
Morgan land appears to be John Cole's 50 acs. who is refered to
in the deed of 1696 as "late of this County"
23 Jul 1680:The Inventory of Mr. Ambrose White of Somerset Co. lists
Bills which include one of"John Coal in Anne Arundel Co."
(Perog. Ct. Abs. 1679-1686, p. 27)
It is very possible that this John Cole was the father of John
Cole of Baltimore Co. (ca. 1667- 1746), who is recorded
as coming from Anne Arundel Co to Bush River before 1700,
with William Cole,2nd son of William (d. 1678), and John and
Edward Talbot and Samuel Wallis. (Md. Hist. Mag. Vol. 77, No. 4,
Winter 1982, p. 365.)
The Records of him and his family are given in Elise Greenup
Jourdan's "Early Families of Southern Md.,", Vol. 10, pp 281-288,
and are very complete.
End of Cole Family Pedigree update.