“Centennial Anniversary of the founding of Monongahela City, P.: celebrated November 15th, 1892. Monongahela City: C. W. Hazzard, 1895.
PHYSICIANS. James G. Sloan, M.D.
Pg. 227 DR. J. H. CONNELLY was born in Washington County, Pa., November 22, 1817, within the bounds of Chartiers Presbyterian Church.His father was for many years a ruling elder in that church.He received his classical education at Jefferson College, Canonsburg.He read medicine with Doctor Stevens, of Washington, and graduated in medicine at Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia.He located in Monongahela City, Pa., in 1841, and was in continuous practice until 1853, when he moved to Triadelphia, West Virginia, continuing in practice until 1861, when, becoming interested in the production of petroleum, he abandoned the practice of medicine and moved to the city of Wheeling.Here, as a senior member of the firm of CONNELLY, Cook & Co., he erected one of the first oil works in the country for the refining of petroleum, and during the same year he obtained he pioneer patents for the manufacture of gas from petroleum, and was for several years engaged in the erection of these gas works in all parts of the country.
In 1870 he obtained patents for the utilizing of waste gases from coke ovens, and interested a number of Pittsburgh capitalists in his invention.He moved to that city, and to his efforts were largely due the formation of the “Consolidated Gas Company” and the erection of their works on his system in 1872.In 1875, he patented the “Fire Extinguisher” which bears his name, to which he gave special attention until the time of his death.DOCTOR CONNELLY was married April 29, 1846, to MISS MARTHA STORER, of Monongahela City; she and six children still survive him.DOCTOR CONNELLY died suddenly at West Penn Hospital, January 14, 1883, having gone with one of his sons to that institution on an errand of mercy.He was an earnest, true Christian gentleman.