Possible leads Land agents, empresarios, and Indian fighters began visiting the area about 1821. Land grants, however, were not issued by the Mexican government until 1826, when Benjamin R. Milamqv was given a contract to settle 300 families between the Colorado and Guadalupe rivers. The land granted constituted a small part of the early Blanco County area. In 1835 Jesse L. McCrocklin,qv Horace Eggleston, Noel Mixon, and Benjamin Williams each received a league of land now in Blanco County, but these tracts remained largely undeveloped until the middle of the nineteenth century.
Also in 1854 Gen. John D. Pitts,qv who had fought in Indian campaigns with Callahan, came to settle in the Blanco County area. Pitts, with Callahan, Judge William S. Jones from Curry's Creek in what was then Comal County, Andrew M. Lindsay of San Marcos, and F. W. Chandler of Travis County, chartered the Pittsburgh Land Company and laid out the town of Pittsburgh between 1854 and 1855. The first church in the county was built in 1854 by a Methodist circuit rider named Daniel Rawls.qv As more and more settlers moved into the area, missionaries from various Christian churches also established themselves in Blanco County.