NORTHWESTERN IOWA ITS HISTORY AND TRADITION VOLUME III 1804-1926
B. L. FORD
One of the most highly esteemed of the younger business men of Sioux City is Burton Lincoln Ford, head of the Ford Lumber Company. He is devoting himself indefatigably to the interests of this business, which was founded and successfully operated for many years by his father, and he has shown himself a man of splendid business qualifications, winning the respect and confidence of all with whom he has dealings.
Mr. Ford was born in Sioux City on the 11th of December, 1902, and is a son of William N. and Frances E. (Lincoln) Ford. The father was born in Chicago, Illinois, October 6, 1866, a son of Burton M. and *Mary Jane (Dwight) Ford. He was educated in the school of Des Moines, Iowa, later worked a short time for the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad, and then entered the employ of the J. H. Queal Lumber Company of Des Moines. In 1887 he came to Sioux City as manager of the branch yard which the Queal company had established here, and retained that position until 1900, when he engaged in the retail lumber business on his own account, first as a member of the firm of Ford & Hollandsworth, and later under the name of the Ford Lumber Company, with which he remained identified until his death on December 15, 1921. On September 28, 1893, he was married to Miss Frances E. Lincoln, of Fort Dodge, Iowa, daughter of David Kennedy and Lucy (Parmelee)Lincoln, and to them were born two children, Lucy and Burton Lincoln. Mr. Ford was a member of the Masonic order and stood high in the esteem of his community. Further reference to him is made in a personal memoir on the other pages of this work.
Burton Lincoln Ford received his elementary education in the public and high schools of Sioux City, after which he had two years in the Shattuck Military Academy, at Faribault, Minnesota. He then entered Dartmouth College, where he had attended two years when his father's death necessitated his returning home and taking charge of the business, to which he is now devoting his attention. Mr. Ford is a member of Tyrian Lodge, No. 508, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and Sioux City Chapter, No. 26, Royal Arch Masons, and also belongs to the Sioux City Country Club, the Sioux City Boat Club and the Lions Club. He is a communicant of the Protestant Episcopal church. He has shown himself a splendid citizen in every respect, giving his wholehearted support to everything concerning the best interests of the community, and his is well worthy of the respect and confidence which are accorded him.