David's Mill community a.k.a. Box Church and Cross Roads (Located between Teague and Dew)
William Haden David moved to Freestone County from Barbour County, Alabama between 1857 and 1860 settling between Luna and Avant Prairie (later called Dew). The community that later grew around William's large three story wooden grist mill that became known as David's Mill.David's Mill is a settlement that appears on old maps. David's Mill was the first mill in Freestone County. *1*
About four miles west of Dew on a gravel road between Hwy 179 and F. M. 489 is the site of where once stood David's Mill.David's Mill had a school, church, grange hall, masonic lodge and other establishments.The main attraction was the grist mill used by farmers to turn the corn into meal.
David's Mill was an early mill that was very important to the community and even those in neigboring Leon county. Rebuen T. Long drove an ox cart full of corn all day from near Marquit in Leon County spending the night at Edward Ezell's home near Luna. Reuben would then in the morning go to the mill to have the corn ground returning to the Ezell home to spend another night before returning home after another full day's drive. Reuben eventually successfully courted Edward's oldest daughter, Sally Ezell, and was they were married on 6 Jan 1870.
David's Mill community faded after the old three story grist mill burned down in 1876. Later the community would be called after its church, Box.
School: Davids Mill School (#8) had 31 pupils in 1887. had 22 students in 1891-92.
Box Church School apparently was a later school at the site.
Church: Box Church (petitioned for membership to the Prairie Grove Association on 22 July 1887.)
Masonic Lodge: David Masonic Lodge #318 (1868-1876) David's Mill Masonic Lodge #318 was chartered on June 16, 1868 and until its demise in 1876 when the mill house it located in burned down. The Lode room was on the third floor of the old mill house. All of its annual return lists its post office as Fairfield. The members merged into the masonic lodge in Boggy Prairie (that later moved to Teague).
Families in the area were William Haden David and Henry Bailey Cabiness.
Cemeteries in the Area: Driver Cemetery Harrison Chapel cemetery Kendrick Family Cemetery Box Church Cemetery
Nearby Communities: Box Church #1 Cross Roads Stoney Point "Stump Toe" Harrison Chapel
Past Residents: Acuff, W. B. David. Dr. John White (dentist) David, James Clark David, Sarah Carter David, William Haden Gilliland, L. A. Harvey, Mr. Richards, M. R. D.
*1* = Davis, Ellis Arthur and Edwin H. Grobe, editors. The Encyclopedia of Texas, Book, [1921 - 1922]; page 552.
Fairfield Recorder newspaper - December 23, 1887 issue: "...Mr. J. B. Killborn, near Mills, and we learn from him that a movement is on foot to have the old David Lodge No. 318 revived, it having demised about thirteen or fourteen years ago, where David's Mill was destroyed by fire, the Lode room being in the third story of the mill house. If the Lodge is revived, it will be removed to Boggy Prairie, a more convenient location for the neighborhood, about four miles from the site of the old Lodge. The Masons interested are erectomg a new two story building for Lode and school purposes, has been made for the revival of the charter of David Lodge,..."