I've taken the role of family historian from my mother, who has done a wonderful job without benefit of the internet - and am hitting a couple of roadblocks.
I originate from Murray County, GA, where my mother still lives.Most of our ancestors came from NC, through Gilmer County, GA, and then to Murray County.I won't bore you with the entire story, but I am on a hunt for a couple of specific people's ancestors:Levina Searcy and Mary Elizabeth Patterson.Here's the basic chain (all the dates and other information is on my family tree at http://www.genealogy.com/users/s/i/n/Pamela-E-Sinclairhttp://www.genealogy.com/users/s/i/n/Pamela-E-Sinclair:
1. Hiram Searcy & Anna Deboard
2. Levina Searcy and Phillip Whitener
3. William Everett Whitener and Mary Elizabeth Patterson - married in GA - moved to Foyil, OK in 1905. Mary died there in 1920. William returned to GA in 1929.
4. Rex Venable Whitener - born in Foyil, OK
5. Rexene - lives in OK
I've run across a letter from Rexene - a cousin of my mother's -who lives in Oklahoma and I need some help with it. Rexene writes: "Yes, Dad (Rex V. Whitener) told me a long time ago that he and granddad (William E. Whitener) got land given to them and Dad said he signed up because he was Indian and got 20 acres which he said he sold later for a car. I think Uncle Att was in Georgia at the time or he would have gotten his. And since Dad and Granddad Whitener was the only ones who went, that's how he got his. I can't remember which town they had to go to. Anyway, Dad said he remembered his Dad's mom (Levina Searcy) coming and seeing them when they (William and family) moved to Oklahoma - he was just a kid. He said she (Levina) was a full blood cherokee and her husband married her off the reservation (Levina and Phillip married 1852). Also, William married into an Indian line - I used to hear uncle Albert (one of Rex's brothers) and Dad talk and they say that their great grandmother Elizabeth Patterson (Mary Patterson's mother) was on the William Cole roll..."
1. Any idea where William Whitener and Rex Whitener would have gone to get this mythical 20 acres of land? How could I track this down?
2. What is the William Cole roll? I can find no mention of such a roll, and I'm not sure which of the multitude of rolls she might be referring to. Could this have been an agent's roll?
I can bore you with more dates and specifics if you think you can help me find a direction for this research. Because I'm seriously obsessed with this, I'm willing to travel to Oklahoma if that's required. If you're interested, you can find this family tree on the URL I've linked to. With thanks for your patience,