Their is a picture of Charles Henry Dewey on the site also.
[No business man is better known in Omaha than Charles H. Dewey. He was born in Kennebec county, Maine, and was raised in Ohio, to which State his parents moved during his infancy. When gold was discovered in California, in 1849, Mr. Dewey, who was then in his young manhood, was among the first of the many fortune hunters who crossed the plains for the land of gold. He spent seven years in California and on the Pacific coast, and met with the ups and downs of an adventurer's life. He finally
returned to the East, and spent some considerable time in various sections of Tennessee, Iowa and Colorado. In 1865 he drifted to Omaha. At that time Omaha was attracting considerable attention, owing to the building of the Union Pacific Railroad. After looking the city over carefully, he came to the conclusion that it was destined to become a great commercial center at no distant day, and he invested all his money, amounting to less than two thousand dollars, in the furniture business. Soon after opening his establishment he associated with himself Mr. E. L. Stone as a partner. This firm has built up a business in the furniture line second to none in the United States. They began business in a small frame building on Farnam street, and have remained at the same location ever since. Their Farnam street display building, which was erected upon the site of the old frame shell, was the first four-story structure in in Omaha, and when built
CHARLES H. DEWEY.
it was considered a great enterprise. It is yet one of the largest buildings in the city. Adjoining their Farnam street store they have a five-story warehouse, fronting on Harney street, and in addition to this they have two other extensive warehouses on Tenth and Eleventh streets. Mr. Dewey, in 1870, went to Europe to recuperate his health. He made an extensive tour of the Continent, and became imbued with a great desire of travel and sightseeing. This desire he has since gratified, and the consequence is that he has seen since 1879 nearly every place on the face of the globe worth visiting. During his visit to Europe he was in Paris when the Franco-German war broke out, and he remained there for some time after, watching the stirring events with a deep interest. In 1878 Mr. Dewey was appointed by President Arthur as one of the United States Commissioners to the World's Exposition at Paris, where he again spent several months. In 1881 he took a
trip around the world, sailing from San Francisco. Since then he has been almost constantly on the go. His vast store of information, obtained in this way, has made him very cosmopolitan in his character. Naturally a shrewd observer and a rather humorous off-hand talker, he is a very entertaining conversationalist. Mr. Dewey is a staunch Republican, and has always taken a deep interest in politics, although he has never sought office. In 1884 he was induced to accept the nomination of Presidential Elector-at-Large on the Blaine ticket. This is the only political position he has ever held, although frequently pressed to accept the nomination for offices of trust and honor. Mr. Dewey was married to Miss Bell, of Belleville, Ohio, in 1866. He belongs to no church, or society, secret or otherwise, and is a liberal, enterprising and independent man. Ill health has prevented him from attending closely to business, and he may be called a man of leisure, and an honored and respected citizen.]
Missouri river. Much of the sediment common to the river water is thus settled and the water in a measure purified. No pains are spared to preserve the water from organic taint, and the city may be said to be particularly fortunate, from a hygienic point of view, in its water system. For fire protection there are six hundred hydrants distributed about the city. From these the water is taken directly into the hose by the fire department, the pressure being supplied by a special direct service engine at the water works, the pump having a capacity of 2,000,000 gallons. The works have a total daily capacity of 30,000,000 gallons. The corporation owning the works has been very enterprising, the annual increase made in its plant amounting to 30 per cent., the total value of .the investment being at present not far from two million dollars.