This is most intersting.All I know for sure is that for many years John DEWHURST was the proprietor of The Swan with Two Necks, at number 10, Lad Lane (renamed in 1845, to become the eastern stretch of Gresham Street), off Cheapside.
In 1805, John DEWHURST was the proprietor of the Wheat Sheaf Tavern, at number 433, in the Strand.The building stood on the north side of the street, opposite George Court.It was demolished in 1830, for the building of Nash’s elegant triangular block, with its ‘pepperpot’ corners, through which Lowther Arcade once famously cut.
By 1814, John was back in Lad Lane, as the following unhappy announcement regarding his nineteen-year old son, which was published in The Times on the 22nd of November 1814, reveals:
"On the 10th inst., at Bourdeux [sic], to which place he went for the recovery of his health, David Richard Dewhurst, son of John Dewhurst, Lad Lane.He was a young man much and deservedly respected by all who knew him, and his loss will be severely felt by his friends."
By 1820, John DEWHURST had moved premises again, to the north side of Covent Garden.On the 17th of July 1820, he paid the Sun Fire Office a premium of £12.12.6 for their financial protection against fire on his 18th-century tavern at No.81 Long Acre (The Freemasons’ Arms), Victualler.
On the 1st of August 1821, John DEWHURST paid the Sun Fire Office a further premium of £1.19s. for their financial protection against fire on two other properties, which afforded him a small income in rents:‘The Welch House’ in Fulwood’s Rents, Holborn and No.19 adjoining.
John DEWHURST’s origins are most likely to have been in Lancashire, where the surname is still predominantly found.All that is known of his family is that John had a sister, Ellen, who married Charles HOLMES.
John DEWHURST passed away at four o’clock, on the 4th of November, 1822, at his home in Long Acre.
Could this be your John DEWHURST, the blacksmith?Did he have children Mary and David Richard?