Biographical and Historical Record of Greene Co IA 1887
GEORGE C. DILLAVOU, farmer, section 17, Kendrick Township, was born in Randolph County, Indiana, August 29, 1850, son of James Dillavou, a prominent pioneer of this county.He was five years of age when his father came to Iowa and settled amid the wild surroundings of pioneer life.His youth was spent in assisting his father on the farm, and in attending the common schools of Greene County. He was married March 13, 1879, to Miss Lotta Chase, who was a native of Canada, and a daughter of Rev. John W. Chase, a prominent minister in the United Brethren Church, and the founder of the first church of that denomination in Greene County.He was a native of Connecticut, and married Miss Susan Crawford, who was a native of Canada.They lived in Canada several years, and in 1855 came to Iowa, settling in Clayton County, where they lived until 1868, then came to Greene County and settled in Cedar Township.Mr. Dillavou came to his present farm in the spring of 1879, which he purchased some time previous.He owns 200 acres of excellent land, and his farm is known as one of the best in his township.He has a good two-story residence built in modern style, with bay window and piazzus, and surrounded with shade trees, and his farm buildings are commodious and comfortable.He is quite extensively engaged in stock-raising and feeding.Mr. and Mrs. Dillavou have had four children -- Mahlon J., Statten G.; Ross L., who died at the age of two years, ten months and fifteen days, and Maud.Politically Mr. Dillavou is a Republican.He served as township clerk when only twenty-one years of age.He has served as a member of the School Board and township assessor with satisfaction to his constituents.He well remembers seeing the deer and elk run up and down the creek on the farm of his father; seeing and hearing the prairie wolves howl when only a little boy, and at one time getting scared by the wolves, and in the place of seeing carpet-baggers and plug hats, hoops and bustles, or banged hair, he saw the hunter with his coon-skin cap and long rifle on his shoulder, and women dressed plain with long hair.
JAMES DILLAVOU, farmer, section 17, Kendrick Township, is one of the prominent pioneers of that township, and was born in Greene County, Ohio, May 15, 1825, son of John and Rebecca (Roberts) Dillavou, natives of New Jersey, who were the parents of eight children, of whom our subject was the youngest.When he was about twelve years of age his parents removed to Randolph County, Indiana, where he lived until twenty-five years of age.He was reared a farmer and received his education in the common schools.He was married May 21, 1848, to Miss Margaret Coon, daughter of John and Mary Coon, a native of Delaware.In 1850 Mr. Dillavou removed to McLean County, Illinois, where he resided five years, and November 9, 1855, he came to Greene County, locating on his present farm in Kendrick Township.There were about twenty-five families living in the township at that time.He first lived in a tent for some time, and his stock was sheltered in the brush.After a time he built a log cabin.He had to go forty miles to mill, and his postoffice was at Des Moines; the mail was frequently brought to Jefferson with an ox team.Elk were frequently found here at that time.Mr. Dillavou owns 460 acres of well-cultivated land, with good improvements.He has a comfortable house, a commodious barn and out-buildings for stock and grain.Mrs. Dillavou died May 25, 1862, leaving six children -- George, Elza, Rebecca, John, Mary and a babe; two are deceased.October 14, 1866, Mr. Dillavou was married to Mrs. Nancy Morelan, a native of Putnam County, Indiana, and daughter of William and Susan Beck.Mrs. Dillavou was the widow of Jackson Morelan and the mother of three children -- Evan, William and Jackson.By the second marriage there were eight children -- Martha, Samuel, Henry, Ira, Amos, Anice, Stacy and Margaret, deceased.Politically Mr. Dillavou is a Republican, casting his first vote for General Fremont.He has served inmost of the township offices, and has served twice as county supervisor.He donated the ground for the Dillavou Cemetery, and is a liberal supporter of all worthy enterprises.