M. A. Dilts is one of six surviving children in a family of twelve born to the marriage of Frank Dilts and Sarah Weaver, both of whom were natives of Montgomery County, Ohio, and of Scotch and German descent respectively. The family emigrated to Indiana in 1856, located in Elkhart County, but removed to Fulton County in 1857, and from there to Pulaski County in 1860, where Mr. Dilts died in May 1877. His widow yet survives him and resides on the old homestead, one mile east of Winamac. M. A. Dilts lived with his parents until eighteen years of age, receiving his education from the public schools and finishing with a business course at a college in Xenia, Ohio. When in his twenty-first year, he began traveling for a wholesale agricultural house in Xenia, but in 1871 he engaged in the grocery and restaurant business at that place, continuing until 1874. He then commenced auctioning dry goods and notions at Greenville, but the fall of that year came to Winamac, continuing the same business. The ensuing winter he wholesaled cigars for Dilts Bros., manufacturers of Winamac, but the summer of 1875 again returned to auctioning dry goods and notions. In 1876, he embarked in the drug trade in Winamac, but the following season sold out to Dolph & Carper. Since that time he has turned his attention exclusively to handling real estate, and making it his business to learn of the best lands in the market; he has obtained the agency for these and is enabled to find good homes in Pulaski County for poor men. Mr. Dilts was born February 25, 1849, in the same county as his parents. He came to Winamac in the fall of 1860, a poor boy, but possessed of courage and enterprise. He is a Republican, a member of the Royal Arcanum, and he and wife are members of the M. E. Church. He was married November 17, 1874, to Mrs. Rachel W. Williamson, of Greene County, Ohio, and to them have been born three children - Minnie M., Florence E., and Reuben A., deceased.