NORTHWESTERN IOWA ITS HISTORY AND TRADITION VOLUME III 1804-1926
J. C. WADE
The tremendous growth of the automobile business in recent years has attracted men of ability and energy and in no other field is there a better opportunity for the exercise of progressive and enterprising methods. One of the most important and successful business houses in Sioux City is that of Wade & Brunight, dealers in Buick cars, for which they hold the agency for southern South Dakota, four counties in Nebraska and four counties in Iowa, including Woodbury. In the splendid growth which this company has enjoyed, John C. Wade has been an important factor, having devoted himself closely to its interests, and is now numbered among the able and successful business men of this community.
Born in Clayton county, Iowa, on the 20th day of November, 1869, he is a son of Frank F. and Cynthia (Dow) Wade, who were natives of New York state, where they were reared and married. Soon afterward they came to Iowa, settling in Clayton county in 1865 and remaining there until 1872, when they moved to Union county, South Dakota, where the father engaged in farming. In 1887 he settled in Hawarden, Iowa, where he engaged in the hardware business until his death, which occurred in 1903, at the age of fifty-five years. His wife is still living at Hawarden, at the age of eighty-six years, and is remarkably active of one of her age.
John C. Wade attended the district schools to his eighteenth year and after the family located in Hawarden engaged in the newspaper business, becoming half owner of the Sioux Valley Blade, to which he devoted his attention for two years. He then sold his interest in the paper and established a grocery business in Akron, Iowa, which he carried on until 1907, when he sold the store and entered the automobile business, becoming associated with Thomas L. Burnight, under the firm name of Wade & Burnight. At that time they secured the agency for the Buick car for a territory including six counties. They were very successful in this venture and in 1914 came to Sioux City, their territory being increased to ten counties, including Woodbury. The steady and continuous growth of their business, which has been very gratifying, is evidenced by the fact that the volume of sales had increased from one hundred and fifteen thousand dollars in 1917 to over a million and a half dollars in 1925.
In 1890 Mr. Wade was united in marriage to Miss Elsie B. Phillips, of Elk Point, South Dakota, and to them have been born two daughters: Grace F., who graduated from Drake University, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts, and is now the wife of Guy F. Phellis, of Sioux City; and Jessie E., who graduated from Morningside College, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. Mr. Wade is a member of the board of directors of the Toy National Bank. Because of his splendid business record, his very commendable interest in the progress and prosperity of his city, and his forceful personality, he has won a high place in the esteem of all who know him.