Dowlen’s and Spouses plus children:
Below is a list of Dowlen’s from 1748 to about the early 1900’s, this should help some people connect to the line. If you find anything - that can add or expand the information provided --- email me at email@example.com Put Dowlen in the subject line. In addition, the information below, I DO have more notes for some names, just let me know who your are interested in..
Happy to share,
1.Whitmill Dowlen.Whitmill Dowlen maybe Amos Dowlen daddy strong probability Dowlen/Doolin Whitmill born circa 1748 of North Carolina.
He married Miss Harris.
2.i Amos Dowlen b. circa 1775.
ii John Dowlen. Migrated to Georgia circa 1775 went from Nashborough to Georgia or Illinois.
iii Harris Dowlen, b. in Waxhaw District, NC, d. 13 Sep 1855. Stayed in TN. circa 1777 Came to TN with his older brothers, Amos & John in 1795 Married Susan Hargrove a Virginian of Dutch Descent, possibly coming direct from Holland, in 1797 They lived on Ewing branch, six miles northwest of Nashville and owned the land on either side of the branch, then he moved to property in front of Good Springs Church, selling the Ewing Property. Some yrs later, he sold this land and bought land in Nashborough. sold it bought Good Speed Baptist Church in Cheatham Co., Tenn. where he died.
He married Susan Hargrove.
Susan: After the death of Harris Dowlen first wife in 1820 He married Sallie Harrington. He raised six children by his first wife Susan Hargrove and seven by his second wife. For full information on Harris and his children, see ---- "The Dowland Family Tree" Pages 130 -.
2. Amos Dowlen, b. circa 1775 in North Carolina.Migrated from North Carolina to Tennessee in 1795 and settled on the Cumberland River in Nashborough (now Nashville) the capital to become long-hunters with 2 brothers: John and Harris, Sr. He was 18 at the time so he left without the consent of his parents. They arrived at Nashborough on the Cumberland River, perhaps in the latter part of 1700's Later Migrated to Texas. Living with Archibald and Malinda at the age of 75 and blind.
He married Ann Marshall, married 30 Oct 1787 in Warren Co., North Carolina.
Ann: Amos and Ann Married Bondsman Samuel Marshall, witness Hy Giles Dowlen probably the daughter of Archibald Marshall whose estate was administered on 13 Mar 1800, Naming Amos Dowlen and Samuel, Charles, Dolley and Jeremiah Marcshall (probably Ann's brothers and sister).
3. i Archibald Dowlen b. 9 Sep 1802.
3. Archibald Dowlen, b. 9 Sep 1802 in North Carolina, d. 31 Oct 1887, buried Hickroy Grove in at Petty, Lamar, Texas.settled in Nashborough, now Nashville, the capital. In Bledsoe Co., in 1850, farming 259 acres in Lamar, Co, Texas in 1860.. Cemetery; On tombstone: "Dear is the spot where Christian's Sleep And sweet the Strains that angels pour O why should we in anguish weep They are not lost but gone before".
He married Malinda Hasken, married 9 Apr 1831 in Knoxville, TN, b. 14 Jun 1804 /14 in Tennessee, d. 10 Jun 1887 in Honey Grove, Petty, Lamar, Texas.
Malinda: Married by Samuel Love, Minister of the Gospel, When Archibald was 29 and Malinda was 17 Malinda (Called Matilda) Haskew/Hasken/Harkins/Askew.
i John Wesley Dowlen, b. 25 Mar 1832 in Knox County, TN, d. 6 Nov 1936 ?, buried Holiday Cem. in Archer, Texas.
He married Martha Ann Jackson, married 31 Jun 1868 in Lamar County Texas, b. 7 Nov 1849.
Martha: Martha A. Dowlen - Widow Confederate Pension application #51172 found for Wichita County, Texas. Husband John Dowlen.
ii Mary Ann Dowlen, b. 1834 in Knox County, TN, d. 6 Nov 1936 in Fannin County, Texas.
She married Joshua Callaway, married 27 Jul 1865 in Lamar County Texas.
iii Eliza C. Dowlen, b. 1837 in Knox County, Texas.
4.iv Vincent Asberry Dowlen b. 1838.
v Joseph Amos Dowlen, b. 1841 in Bledsoe County Tenn., d. 31 Oct 1929.Called Amos Married went to war and never returned.
5. vi William Harrison Dowlen b. 8 Dec 1844.
vii Nancy J. Dowlen, b. 1847 in Bledsoe County, Tenn.
She married Judson Harrell, married 17 Dec 1867 in Lamar Co., Texas.
viii Samuel M. Dowlen, b. 1849 in Bledsoe County, Tenn.Married May Webb/Bettie Campbell ?? She and daughters living with Archibald in 1857 daughters Martha Dowlen & Nancy E. Dowlen.
6. ix Alexander P. Dowlen b. 29 Feb 1852.
7. x Lewis Chiles Dowlen b. 31 Jan 1854.
4. Vincent Asberry Dowlen, b. 1838 in Knox Co., Tennessee (70 in 1908), d. 6 Aug 1910 in Walters Cotton Co., Okla., buried in I00F Cemetery at Walters, OK.Tenn/Missouri then TX Near Honey Grove TX in 1853 at age 15 with his family. Job freighter/muleskinner during the civil war. Always managed to be out of town when Army recruiting officers came by.Owned grocery store - Wichita Falls sold it -went to OK. Moved to Randal Co., in 1891 then to OK. 2/7/1902 Bought 160 acres for homestead near Walters, OK. Built own house 4 rooms, 2 wells, fenced farm valued $800 became Paralyzed Had gone by the name Doolen until his cousin said it was pronounced Dowlen. Founded Canyon Masonic Lodge.
He married Julia Ann Ragsdale, married 24 Oct 1863 in Honey Grove Fannin County, Texas, b. 13 Jul 1842 in Red River Co., Texas, (daughter of Robert Campbell Ragsdale and Abigail SinClair) d. 7 Dec 1925 in Walters, Cotton Co., Oklahoma, buried in I00F cemetery with Vince.
Julia: Married by J.W. Pinu of MEC church at Honey Grove Marriage License issued in Lamar CountyJulia moved to OK in 1902; Methodist Julia is known to be the child of Abigail; all others Children unknown Julia still living in 1924.
8. i Robert Archibald Dowlen b. 15 Aug 1864.
9. ii John Wesley Dowlen b. 27 May 1867.
10. iii Charles Murray Dowlen b. 31 Jan 1869.
11. iv William Asberry Dowlen b. 30 Mar 1871.
12. v Alice May Dowlen b. 3 Jan 1873.
13. vi Lucy Clementine Dowlen b. 5 Apr 1874.
14. vii Thomas Alexander Dowlen b. 27 Apr 1876.
15. viii Mary Jane Dowlen b. 21 Jun 1878.
16. ix Sam M. Dowlen b. 25 Oct 1879.
17. x Vincent Marvin Dowlen b. 1 Mar 1881.
xi Lewis Clark Dowlen, b. 31 Mar 1882 in Randall Co., TX, d. 1954 in or 1952, buried Dreamland Cem. in south of Canyon, TX.Married circa 1952 to Frances Beckman Hess, They always had a new car and showy, big diamonds. He lived for about 25 years with Frances before marrying her. Her first husband was killed in the first world war and re-marrying would mean the loss of her pension. However, they finally eloped to New Mexico and returned to the farm. Two days later, while feeding cattle, on his farm near Umbarger, TX he died before they had a chance to go on a honeymoon. no children.
He married Frances Beckman Hess, b. 1901, d. 1975.
18. xii Nancy Malenda Belle Dowlen b. 30 Nov 1883.
5. William Harrison Dowlen, b. 8 Dec 1844 in Bledsoe County, Tenn., d. 23 Feb 1915 in Oakwood C, HNVGV, Fannin., Texas.
He married Mary H. Parham, married 21 Sep 1877 in Oakwood C. Honey Grove, Fannin Co., TX, b. 20 Sep 1856, d. 3 May 1940 in Oakwood C., Honey Grove Fannin Co., TX.
Mary: 6 children.
i William Lee Dowlen, d. 17 May 1939.
He married Daisey Meacham.
Daisey: Married circa 1907.
ii Burnie Dowlen, b. 22 Feb 1834, d. 27 Jan 1901, buried in Oakwood C., HNYGV, Fannin., Texas.
iii Eula May Dowlen, b. 25 Jul 1880, d. 15 Jul 1974, buried in at Oakwood Co., HNVGV Fannin., Texas.
She married George M. Schnabel, b. 9 Nov 1876, d. 3 Apr 1941, buried in Oakwood C., HNYGV Fannin Texas.
iv Joseph Amos Dowlen, b. 14 May 1888, d. 31 Oct 1929, buried in Oakwood C, HNYGV Fannin, Texas.
He married Leah Leeman, b. 27 Jul 1892, d. 24 Apr 1967, buried in Oakwood C, HNTGV, Fannin Co., Texas.
Leah: Married circa 1914.
v Claude Dowlen, b. 10 Apr 1890, d. 14 Feb 1937, buried in Oakwood C, HNTGV, Fannin Co., Texas.
He married Loneta Leeman, b. 9 Dec 1893, d. 5 Jun 1965 in Oakwood C, Honey Grove, Fannin Co., Texas.
Loneta: Married circa 1917.
vi Ruth Dowlen, b. 12 Dec 1896 in Texas, d. 1 Sep 1979, buried in Oakwood C, HNYGV Fannin, Texas.
6. Alexander P. Dowlen, b. 29 Feb 1852, d. 12 Apr 1917, buried in Oakwood Co, HNYGV Fannin, Texas.
He married (1) Ellen Grizzard.
He married (2) Susan Bell Ragsdale, b. 8 Feb 1860, (daughter of Robert Campbell Ragsdale and Abigail SinClair) d. 11 Jan 1957, buried in Oakwood C, Honey Grove Fannin Co., Texas.
Susan: Still Living in 1924.
i Bascome G. Dowlen, b. 9 Sep 1998, d. 21 Nov 1998 in Oakwood C., Honey Grove, Fannin Co., TX.
7. Lewis Chiles Dowlen, b. 31 Jan 1854, d. 6 Apr 1924, buried in at Hickory Grove, Petty. Lamar, Texas.Had nine children.
He married Annie Evelyn Ragsdale, married 26 Jan 1882, b. 8 Nov 1838, (daughter of Martin (Mart) Henry Harrison Ragsdale and Jane Keller) d. 6 Nov 1935, buried in at Hickory Grove, Petty, Lamar Co., TX.
i Bonnie Lewis Dowlen, b. 6 Jan 1883, d. 27 Oct 1897, buried in at Hickory Grove, Petty, Lamar Co., TX.
ii Joseph Martin Dowlen, b. 27 Mar 1884.
iii Vince Dowlen, b. 11 Nov 1885, d. 30 Mar 1969.
iv Lucille Dowlen, b. 9 Mar 1887, d. 21 Oct1942, buried in Hickory Grove, Petty, Lamar Co., TX.
v Robbie Bell Dowlen, b. 16 Mar 1889, d. 18 Oct 1963, buried in at Hickory Grove, Petty, Lamar Co., TX.
vi Eugene R. Dowlen, b. 16 Nov 1890, d. 5 May 1944.
vii Lloyde C. Dowlen, b. 6 Jun 1895, d. 5 Jan 1960.
viii Annie Madge Dowlen, b. 31 Aug 1897.
19. ix Fewell Baird Dowlen b. 8 Apr 1900.
8. Robert Archibald Dowlen, b. 15 Aug 1864 in Beaver Township Cotton Co.Nickname Bob In 1920 census shows him in Beaver Township. Cotton Co., with his mother Julia Ann, Lived in Conway TX in 1925; A good man but not a progressive farmer;.
He married Emma Hill.
Emma: Emma died before 1926 don’t believe the children could be hers but from another spouse?
20. i Claude Young Dowlen b. 14 Feb.
21. ii Troy Dowlen.
22. iii Bert Dowlen.
iv Baby died at Infancy.
9. John Wesley Dowlen, b. 27 May 1867 in Forrest Hill, Lamar Co., Texas, d. 29 Sep 1932 in Temple Cotton Co., Oklahoma.in Lamar Co., TX in 1880 interesting man, successful, made lots of money married twice.
He married (1) Cora Lee Farrow, married c. 1889, b. 16 Oct 1869, d. 25 Apr 1950 ?, buried in Temple Cotton, Oklahoma.
Cora: She was sick all of her life and spent most of her time in bed. John Not understanding her problems, He gave up on her "disgusted with her inactivity" John left everything with her and walked away and later divorced her. However, he came back twice a year fully clothed their children.
23. i Carl Creswell Dowlen b. 3/13 Dec 1890.
24. ii Norma Ione Dowlen b. 6 Nov 1893.
iii Norine Dowlen, b. 20 Feb 1898, d. 6 Sep 1899, buried in Charlie Cemetery Clay, Texas.
25. iv V. A. Dowlen b. 10 Aug 1900.
He married (2) Bessie Pauline Guthrie, married c. 1902, b. c. 1880, d. c. 1956 in Walters, Cotton, Oklahoma.
Bessie: She was called Aunt Bessie John because John's brother Tom also married a Bessie and she was called Aunt Bessie Tom.
26. v Faye Dowlen b. 27 May 1904.
27. vi J. W. Dowlen b. 28 Sep 1908.
28. vii Pauline Dowlen b. 9 Nov 1910.
10. Charles Murray Dowlen, b. 31 Jan 1869 in Honey Grove, Petty, TX Fannin/Lamar Co.,, d. 17 Oct 1960 in Texas.Not sure, about Charles day of birth I have seen it for 30th & 31st Have lots more information on Life of Charles Murray Dowlen.
He married Bertha Eleta Wade, b. 3 Sep 1880 in Griggsville, IL, d. 23 Jul 1966 in Canyon Texas.
Bertha: One known child with Charles Bertha nickname birdie, she was a good, very nice person, good cook, worked in the Methodist Church helped run a boarding house for boys for many years. Spent last year or so in Canyon Nursing home. I have a lot more information on Bertha's life.
29. i Glen Wade Dowlen b. 29 Jul 1902.
11. William Asberry Dowlen, b. 30 Mar 1871 in Honey Grove, Fannin, Texas, d. Jul 1948 in Byers, Clay, Texas.Nickname Bill."Ugly", married late in life, least progressive of the Dowlen brothers Lived in Duncan, OKThe statement about being ugly was not by me. I find it wrong to state such a matter, or to say least productive. This man must of put up with a lot.
He married Mary Ethel Norman, married 2 Sep 1913 in Temple, Cotton, OK, b. 7 Nov 1893 in Bristol, Sullivan, TN, d. 26 Nov 1973 in Charlie, Clay, TX.
Mary: Called Ethel Lived in Duncan, OK.
i Joe Norman Dowlen, b. 1 Jul 1914 in Byers, Clay, Texas, d. 23 Mar 1986 in B. Seaside, Memo., Corpus, Texas.called Norman.
He married Ruby Lee, married 8 May 1956, d. 29 May 1987 in B. Seaside Mem., Corpus, TX.
30. ii Billie Frank Dowlen b. 9 Dec 1925.
31. iii Vincent Nat Dowlen b. 21 Jun 1930.
12. Alice May Dowlen, b. 3 Jan 1873.
She married William E. Roberts.
William: with Alice went to Ontario Calif. Called Bill.
i Bessie Clara Roberts.Had a college education and taught.
ii Tuffie Robert.no children, died of appendicitis.
iii John Roberts.Of Ontario, Calif., died in car wreck in Montana or drowned in New Mexico.
32. iv Frank Roberts.
13. Lucy Clementine Dowlen, b. 5 Apr 1874.Lived in Canyon Texas Married Emory Fulton Brown (Fulton brother of Euel Brown who married Mary Jane Dowlen)- Sister of Lucy.
She married Emory Fulton Brown.
33. i Herman Allen Brown.
ii Charles Edward Brown, buried in Forth Worth, Texas.foreman on a ranch in Oklahoma owned by Carl Vraig; Retired, then lived and Wife from Fort Worth, No children.
iii Sally Belle Brown, b. 8 Dec 1899.always called Pet from infancy - still living on home place just east of Canyon, Texas, at age 92; attended college in Canyon, Lived first in Umbarger, then just east of Canyon. Married Louis Franks Snelley who died at age 35; then married Clay Willis Allen - no children, farmed
Amarillo Globe-News, April 1, 2002 Canyon
Sallie B. Allen
Sallie B. Allen, 102, of Canyon died Friday, March 29, 2002.
Gravesideserviceswillbe at 11 a.m. Tuesday in Dreamland Cemetery withthe Rev. David Lowrie, pastor of First Baptist Church of Canyon, officiating. Arrangements are by Brooks Funeral Directors of Canyon.
Mrs. Allen was born Dec. 8, 1899, to Fulton and Lucy Clem Dowlen Brown inUmbarger. Shegraduated from Canyon High School and received her Bachelor’s degree in education from West Texas Normal.
Shetaughtforseveral years and then was a self-employed insurance agent. ShemarriedClayAllen in Canadian. She was a member of the Eastern Star.
She was preceded in death by her husband; two brothers, Charley Brown andHermanBrown;threesisters,Docia Borders, Gracie Palmer and Corine Camp; and a niece, Carmen Camp.
Survivors include a sister, Julia Long of Amarillo; several nieces and nephews;andtwo cousins, George Dowlen of Amarillo and Marie Manley of Canyon.
She married (1) Louis Franks Snelley.
She married (2) Clay Willis Allen.
34. iv Dochie/Docia Lee Brown.
v Julia Edith Brown. Married to an oilfield worker named Johnny Long, but didn’t like living in an oilfield so she divorced him; never re-married, no children.
She married Johnny Long.
35. vi Gracie Brown.
14. Thomas Alexander Dowlen, b. 27 Apr 1876 in Petty, Texas, d. 3 Oct 1963 in Canyon, Randall Co., Texas.Birth Records for Residents of Randall Co., TX - list Spelling of this Dowlen Child "Dowlen, Thomas Alexandra born 27 Apr 1876 Randall Co., Texas.
In 1891, came with his Parents to Randall County, TX(Mr. & Mrs. V.A. Dowlen) raised cattle and farmed. He gave $100 to help bring WTS Normal College to Canyon. Nickname Tom
1930 Census, Precinct 1, Randall County, Texas
Thomas A Dowlen Precinct 1, Randall, born in TX 53 1876 Texas WhiteHead (Both Parents of Thomas shown born in Texas).
Betha J Dowlen Precinct 1, Randall, born in Kansas 48 1881 Wife (Parents born in Kansas Father, Mother Indiana ?)
Bernice K Dowlen Precinct 1, Randall, TX 25 1904 Daughter (Bernice born in Kansas, all other kids born in TX)
William R Dowlen Precinct 1, Randall, TX 22 1907 Son
Lewis E Dowlen Precinct 1, Randall, TX 20 1909Son
Charles G Dowlen Precinct 1, Randall, TX 17 1912 Son
Mary E Dowlen Precinct 1, Randall, TX 14 1915 Daughter
Thomas T.A. Jr., Dowlen Precinct 1, Randall, TX 2 5/12 1927 Son.
He married Rebbeca Jane Snider, b. 1 Oct 1880, d. 1 May 1966.
Rebbeca: She was called Bessie Tom because brother John Married Aunt Bessie John.
On Head Stone name was listed as Bessie Jane Dowlen.
36. i Bernice Dowlen b. Sep 1904.
37. ii William R. Dowlen b. 29 Apr 1907.
38. iii Lewis Elwood Dowlen b. 12 Jan 1910.
iv Charles Dowlen, b. 7/17 Sep 1912 in Canyon Randall Co., Texas, d. 10 Sep 1993 in Amarillo, Texas.
He married Bonnie Pipkins.
39. v Mary Elizabeth Dowlen b. 8 Jul 1915.
vi Thomas Jr., Alexander Dowlen, b. 18 Oct 1927 in Amarillo, Potter, Texas, d. 10 Jun 1971 in Canyon, Randall, Texas.Nickname T.A.
T.A. was born mental retarded and was hutch over, they said he looked like a monkey, the way his body curved.
A note from Joann Crawford: T.A. Died in Abilene, Texas. He was in a state intuition after my grandparents died.
vii Infant 1st child.This infant of Thomas and Rebbeca died at 2 months old.
15. Mary Jane Dowlen, b. 21 Jun 1878 in Texas, d. bef. 1926.
She married Euel/Ewell Brown.
Euel/Ewell: Of Amarillo, TX Euel committed suicide due to depression resulting from death of one son in war and sickness of other son from war; Euel Brown brother of Fulton Brown who married Lucy Dowlen (sister of Mary Jane) and had 7 children.
i Virgil Brown. died in the war.
ii Ray Brown.twin, worked for Post Office, liked antiques, lives in Plainview Texas.
He married Frances Byars.
iii Russell Brown.now in Calif. with one son, twin to Ray.
He married Jewel.
40. iv Ewell Brown.
v Curtis Brown.
He married ____ Jowell. ____: from a family of cattle buyers, died in Calif., 2 daughters one living in California.
vi Gerald Brown. called Buster, had a daughter who married a black man.
vii Noel Brown.came back from war a total wreck, but married with one child and living in California.
16. Sam M. Dowlen, b. 25 Oct 1879 in Honey Grove, Fannin Texas, d. 5 Jun 1962, buried in Walter, Cotton, OK.A farmer and a good worker, shows on 1910 Census for Beaver Township, OK, along with wife Maggie M., and children Sybil, Marie, and J. A., and parents Vince and Julia Ann Dowlen; Mason, Church of Christ; had 4 children.
He married Maggie May Carter, married 14 Jan 1906, b. 3 Feb 1888 in Comanche or Lamar Co., Texas, (daughter of Joel Amos Carter and Sarah Carter) d. 28 Jan 1968 in Henderson Co., Texas.
i Baby, b. 26 Aug 1906, d. 26 Aug 1906.Baby Stillborn.
41. ii Sybil Dowlen b. 9 Jul 1907.
42. iii Marie Dowlen b. 26 Oct 1908.
43. iv J. A. Dowlen b. 2 Jan 1910.
44. v Mitt Hay Dowlen b. 13 Feb 1911.
17. Vincent Marvin Dowlen, b. 1 Mar 1881 in maybe 1882 at Petty, Fannin, Texas, d. 10 Mar 1946 in Oklahoma City, OK, buried Temple Cemetery in Walter's OK.32nd Degree Scottish Rite Mason as of 29 Sept 1921 - #218582 Certificate.
He married Mary Elva Custer, married 13 Mar 1905 in Temple, Cotton, OK, b. 20 Feb 1890 in Peru, Chautauqua, KS, d. 13 Mar 1958 in Walters, OK.
Mary: Called Aunt Elvie.
i Babe Dowlen, b. 1 Feb 1906, buried 2 Feb 1906.
45. ii Klever K. Dowlen b. 6 Sep 1907.
18. Nancy Malenda Belle Dowlen, b. 30 Nov 1883 in Petty, Fannin, TX, d. 19 Jan 1980 in nursing home in Aurora, CO., buried in Duncan, Stephens, OK.Called Belle Moved to Charlie Texas with parents, Lived in Corum, then moved to Dunan in 1910 Bob was about 20 years older than she and was ugly; with 7 children. Nancy was widowed and remarried toAlvidore A. Holiday in 1929 at Duncan. Lived in until 1972, then moved to Aurora, CO. Baptist. He died in 1951 in Duncan, OK.
She married (1) Robert J. "Bob" Lester, married 25 May 1902 in Walters, Comanche, OK, b. 7 Oct 1870 in Roswell, Georgia, d. 3 May 1924, buried in Duncan, Stephens, OK.
46. i Winnie Lester b. 9 Mar 1903.
ii Preston Lester, b. 6 Dec 1904 in Beaver Creek, Stephens, OK.
He married (1) Cora ______.
Cora: 1 child with Preston.
He married (2) Phyllis Bogle.
Phyllis: Lived in Denver and Aurora, CO.
47. iii Robert "Bob" A. Lester b. 11 Jun 1906.
iv Lucille M. Lester, b. 12 Dec 1909 in Corum, Cotton County, OK, d. 7 Jul 1952 in Duncan, OK.Worked for South Western Bell Telephone.
She married Wesley Harrell, married 1929.
v Lois Lester, b. 1911, d. 1912.
vi Dowlen Lester, b. 12 Dec 1915 in Duncan, OK, d. Apr 1991.lived in Shelby, Montana.
He married Lois.
vii Margie Lester, b. 1922, d. 1925.
She married (2) Alvidore A. Holiday, married 1929 in Duncan, d. 1951 in Stephens, OK.
19. Fewell Baird Dowlen, b. 8 Apr 1900, d. July 1977 in Texas.
He married Juanita Pierce.
i Jane Myrick Dowlen, b. 24 Jul 1932 in Tarrant Co., Texas.
Note: If you need any help or would like to see a family in Group Family format, let me know.