Here's what the Strathclair book tells us.
*Amos Christopher Switzer*
A.C. Switzer, born in 1871 in Holyrood, Bruce County, ON, came to Strathclair in 1901, and with his brother Billy, brought a carload of horses. He purchased the farm N ½ of 15-17-22 (Furman Farm) and Billy bought the farm across the road, which we know as the Tom Burnell farm. Amos built a house and barn on his farm that summer. He went back to Ontario in the fall and in December married Margaret Anna McCuish, who was born in 1877 at Sylvan, ON.
In the spring of 1903, Amos and his bride came to Strathclair and settled on his farm. While living here, three children were born; Mary, Cecile and Murt.
Mrs. Switzer planted a grove of Maple trees, still standing today (1984), from seed that she bought in a store at Shoal Lake.
Later Amos sold this half to Mr. King and he moved his family to the Bambury farm, NE ½ of 10-17-22. While living here, two more daughters were born; Anna and Jean.
To facilitate the children’s schooling, Amos bought the Sutherland house in town. Three more children were born here; Grace, Harold and Clare. Once the move to town was made, farming operations shifted to SE ½ of 11-17-22, which had originally been a school section. In 1914 the McIntyre Brothers built a barn and a small house from a carload of lumber that Amos had shipped directly from the coast. A large corral here enclosed part of Amos’s herd of horses; made up of many broncos, bloods and a pure-bred Clydesdale stallion, used as a cross. He was a great lover of horses and showed his prized stallions at the fairs.
In the spring of 1929, Amos sold the house in town to Archie McIntyre and moved to a half section at Ochre River, but came back the next spring to his farm, SE ½ of 11-17-22, where Charlie Cramer built an addition to the house. It was here that Amos died in 1935, and since then, Clare has taken over running the home farm. Mrs. Switzer stayed on the farm until 1946, then moved into her new home in Strathclair where she lived until her death in 1961, at the age of 84 years. At the time of her death, there were 18 grandchildren and two great grandchildren. The eight children of Amos and Mrs. Switzer are; Mrs. A.G. Little (Mary) of McConnell, Mrs. Peter Fisher (Cecile) of Regina, Mrs. Norman Corbett (Anna) of Rosser, MB, Mrs. Fred Wellar (Jean) deceased, Mrs. H.G. Thompson (Grace) of Edmonton, Murt, Harold (deceased) and Clare.
Clare married Dorothy Dawson of Shoal Lake and have two sons and a daughter; Dawson, employed by the Manitoba Co-op in Brandon, Chris, presently working in Brandon and Colleen, who is a telephone operator with the Manitoba Telephone System in Brandon.
Harold joined the R.C.A.F. during World War II and upon his discharge he took a course in electrical work. He married Blanche Stewart of Winnipeg, settled in Strathclair, where he opened an electrical shop. After a few years they moved to Calgary where Harold worked as an electrician until his death in 1965. Their son, Thomas and daughter, Mary Lynn also reside in Calgary.
Murt married Mae Johnston in 1930 and lived on the Banbury farm until 1957. At that time, they moved to the town of Strathclair, while still continuing the farm operations. Murt served on the council from 1940 – 1958, and served on the school board for several years. Mae worked for the Manitoba Telephone System as night operator from 1956 to 1966. They have a son, Graham, born in 1932, and a daughter, Anna-Marie, born in 1950, who is working in a Royal Bank in Winnipeg.
Graham married Shirley Pederson of Newdale. They live on the Turner farm, NE 3-17-22, and have one son and two daughters; Larry, Yvonne and Lynda