Your Drakes are part of the family of David Drake and his wife, Joanna, who left Edgecombe County, NC to settle in Orange County, NC around 1800, where David was listed as head of household in the Census of 1800.
Your Thomas Drake was married to Rachel Page 27 June 1829 in Person County, NC.
I would bet that the John H. Drake was John Hines (Hynes) Drake, as David had a son named Hines who married a Nancy Crawford 13 November 1817 in Orange County, NC.
David was a son of Lazarus and Sarah Hines Drake ofVirginia.David's birth was recorded in Albemarle Parish records as a christening date of 1 March 1752.
One of the telling aspects of your family is that there was a Joanna as a named child.
I have Francis listed as a Frances S. Drake who was married to a Reuben R. Woods, 12 September 1860 in Macon County, NC.
Below is a brief report of the family.I am a descendant of Joanna Drake Satterfield of Caswell County, NC.
Husband: David DRAKE
Birth: 1 March 1752(44) Place: Albemarle Parish, Sussex County, Virginia Christen: 12 July 1752 Place: Sussex County, Virginia - Albemarle Parish Occupation: Farmer Father: Lazarus DRAKE (1715-1783) Mother: Sarah HINES
Wife: Joanna (?)
Birth: About 1770 Death: After 1860
1. F Child: Elizabeth DRAKE Spouse: John SIMPSON Marriage: 21 June 1808 Place: Orange County, N.C.
2. M Child: Hynes DRAKE Spouse: Nancy CRAWFORD Marriage: 13 November 1817(45) Place: Orange County, N.C.( Would like to know of his place of settlement)
3. F Child: Rebecca DRAKE Birth: About 1793(15) Place: Edgecombe County, N.C. Occupation: Keeping House Spouse: Samuel PITTARD Marriage: 14 April 1817(45) Place: Orange County, N.C.
4. M Child: William "Willis" DRAKE Birth: About 1798(15) Place: North Carolina Death: About 28 February 187051 Occupation: Carpenter(15) Spouse: Elizabeth -?-
5. M Child: Thomas DRAKE Birth: About 1800 Place: Orange County, North Carolia Death: After 1880 Place: Macon County, North Carolina Spouse: Rachel PAGE Marriage: 27 June 1829 Place: Person County, North Carolina
6. F Child: Joanna DRAKE Birth: About 1802(15) Place: Orange County, N.C.(42) Death: 15 January 1888 Place: Person County, N.C. Spouse: Samuel SATTERFIELD Marriage: 6 August 1820 Place: Orange County, N.C.
7. M Child: Jesse B. DRAKE Spouse: Elizabeth Taylor(46) RIDLEY
8. F Child: Lucy DRAKE Birth: 1806 Place: North Carolina Spouse: William W. BLAKE Marriage: 4 March 1824 Place: Orange County, North Carolina
9. M Child: James Madison DRAKE Birth: 1809 Death: 7 February 1874 Place: Blount County, Tennessee Spouse: Jane Susan CHILDERS Marriage: 22 December 1828 Place: Person County, N.C.
Notes: Listed in a list of insolvents in the tax list of Edgecombe of Edgecombe Court Minutes 11 February 1791 for 1789 in Captains Hines and Colwells Districts.
Listed as 1 poll and in possession of 108 acres in 1791.
Residing in Orange County by 1800 and listed in the 1800 Census as head of household.
The 1820 Census for Orange County listed David with four sons and two daughters at home, as well as, a wife.Joanna Drake who married Samuel Satterfield in August of 1820, was probably tallied in this census.
Notes: Joanna Drake was listed in the household of Samuel and Joanna Satterfield in the Census of 1860, as being age 90.
Stephen Drake, son of William Drake, nephew of Joanna Satterfield, was residing in the household as well in 1860
Last Modified: 11 January 2002
Reference Note 15 1850 Census for North Carolina.
Reference Note 42 Census of 1800 noted David Drake as head of household in Orange County.
Reference Note 44 Albemarle Parish Records, Sussex County, Virginia.
Reference Note 45 Orange County Marriage Bonds.
Reference Note 46 Deed Bk F, pages 89-90, 1 March 1822.
Reference Note 51 Bond of Administration issued 28 Feb 1870 for his wife, Elizabeth, Thomas Lindley and William Pike.