Mansfield DUCKWORTH was born about 1828 (probably in St. Clair County, IL or Putnam County, IN), son of William and Jane L. DUCKWORTH. (Jane's maiden name is unknown).
By 1842 the DUCKWORTH family were residing in Missouri as their fourth child was born in Missouri that year. As early as 1858 the family were residing in Ozark County (MO) according to a deed dated on 14 September 1858 for 40 acres of land in the Nottinghill Township.
On 12 September 1852 in Ozark County, Mansfield DUCKWORTH married Jane E. McCULLOUGH, daughter of Pleasant Johnson McCULLOUGH and Matilda WELCH. They were married by Jesse Evans, J.P.(Matilda WELCH was the daughter of William WELCH)
Jane E. McCULLOUGH was born on5 January 1828 in ___ County, TN(probably in Lincoln County). She died on 22 May 1909 at Thornfield, Ozark County, MO.
According to the 1860 census of FallingRiver Township in Ozark County, MO: Jane L. DUCKWORTH (widow of William Duckworth) was living with her son's family, Mansfield DUCKWORTH. During the Civil War, Mansfield DUCKWORTH served in Company A of the Ozark County (MO) Home Guards and in Company F of the 74th Regment of the E.M.M. (Enrolled Missouri Militia) under Captain Hurd. About 1861 Mansfield and his family were driven from Ozark County by guerilla warfare. The family stopped in Dallas County (MO) where it is said that Mansfield died in 1863. After Mansfield's death, Jane returned to Ozark County where she lived in a one-room log cabin located on Little North Fork River. Later, Jane (McCullough) DUCKWORTH married (2) Warren ELY.
1. William Goforth DUCKWORTH was born on 30 August 1854 in Ozark County, MO. On 28 September 1875 William DUCKWORTH married Eliza Jane ELY, daughter of William Ambrose ELY (born 3 Dec 1835 VA, died 10 Mar 1916 Ozark County, MO) and Martha MANNING (born 25 Nov 1834 KY; died 23 Mar 1916); dau of Samuel MANNING. William and Martha (Manning) ELY had moved from Kentucky to Kansas about 1860. They homesteaded in Kansas, then later settled in Ozark County. Eliza Jane ELY was born on 6 Nov 1857 in Kentucky. Her grandfather, Samuel Manning, came from southern France to Kentucky.One family historian says that Martha MANNING was born in France and came to Kentucky as a small child. Others believe that she was born in Kentucky.William and Eliza Jane (Ely) DUCKWORTH homesteaded 160 acres in Ozark County. They had 13 children...
2. Martha Ann DUCKWORTH was born about 1856 in MO; died on 17 October 1945 in Portland, Multomah County, OR; burial at Swauk Prairie Cemetery, Ellensburg, WA. On 8 April 1877 in Ozark county, Martha DUCKWORTH married JAMES EVANS. About 1882 James and Martha Ann (Duckworth) EVANS moved by covered wagon to Washington Territory. They had 9 children.
3. Pleasant J. DUCKWORTH (born on 1 Jun 1859 in Ozark County, MO; died 23 Nov 1891 at Gainesville, Ozark County, MO. Burial in the Friend Cemetery. On 25 January 1877 in Ozark County, Pleasant DUCKWORTH married Amanda CAPEHART (b. Oct 1858) on 25 Jan 1877. "Plez"was in a gunfight with John C. Barrett that took place in the hall of the Ozark County Courthouse in Gainesville.Later, Amanda (Capehart) DUCKWORTH married Abijoha TRENT on 20 Nov 1893.
4. Oliver Perry DUCKWORTH was born on 25 January 1861 in Ozark County, MO; died 8 January 1933 in Ozark County, MO; burial at Sallee Cemetery at Igo, MO.On 26 February 1888 at the Thornfield Hotel, Oliver DUCKWORTH married Minnie Gay ELY (born on 28 April 1871; died 26 April 1951; burial at Sallee Cemetery); daughter of William Ambrose ELY and Martha MANNING.
5. Mansfield Jane DUCKWORTH was born in 1863 MO; died on 23 November 1938 in Ozark County, MO. Burial at the Gaulding Cemetery). She was born after the death of her father (probably the reason for her being named Mansfield, although she always went by the name Jane). On 26 November 1882 in Ozark County, Mansfield Jane DUCKWORTHmarried John Stephen "Steve" CAPEHART (born on 2 June 1865; died 3 Apr 1929 Ozark County, MO. Burial at the Gaulding Cemetery.Five children, all born in Ozark County.
I would appreciate all additional information and/or corrections. Feel free to contact me directly. Joyce