I am showing John Morgan Duty born Mar. 1, 1867 in ? and died Dec. 11, 1933 in ?. John married Mary Ann Carey July 30, 1898 in ?. John and Mary Ann had the following children: (1). Frank Duty (2). Carey Duty (3). Willard Duty married Margie Williamson (4). Grover Duty (5). Leo Duty born Nov. 8, 1907, married Alma Hatfield on Nov. 3, 1928, She was born Oct. 18, 1913 and they had 5 children. (6). William Duty (7). Edward Duty (8). Luther Duty (9). Charles Duty (10).Dolly Duty ============================================================= 1) Frank aka Benny had no children but adopted a girl name Sue Carol. Benny is deceased. Lived in Charelston W. VA where he and his wife owned a great deal of property downtown area. They were quite wealthy.
2) Carey is deceased
3) Willard had three sons as I remember and one was named Rudy. I can't remember the others as I was too young.
4) Grover married a woman named Hattie. They had three sons. 1) Jack Dempsey Duty 2) Max Baer Duty[deceased]3) Shane Patrick Duty Brn. Sept. 12/53 Note: Grover was a stone mason and built many of the stone bridges in West Va.. Before that he was prize fighter thus the names of his first two sons (his heros) Grove later went to work for the United Mine Workers District 50 and died of a heart attack about 1972 or 73. Grover lived in Bowlingreen (Sp?) Kentucky then Lexington. His wife is alive and lives there now. In Chatham Estates I believe on Chatham Rd.
5).Leo Duty died in Brooksville Florida. His wife still lives there. They had a son named Bob who was an engineer and is deceased of a heart attack.
6) William aka Bill is deceased and had no children but adopted a girl. Wifes name was Lou. Bill was also a Union organizer for UMWof A District 50
9) Charles M. Duty Brn. Dec. 11/ 23 [date of fathers death] Had two sons. John Morgan Duty II [ME] brn Sept 11/ 53 lives in Spokane WA. Brn in Jasper Alabama. Steve Weston Duty Brn. Feb 19/55 died Oct 14/91 at age 36 brain tumor. Lived in B'ham , Alabama. Brn in B'ham Alabama. Married Mary Dorris Morris from Jasper Alabama. She died in Jasper Alabama May 11/ 90. Charles lives in Tampa, Florida and is 77 yrs old and retired from United Steel Workers started to work with brother Grover in UMWofA District 50
10) Dolly was still born. =============================================================Charles M. Duty was a flatboat operator and supplied the mines/miners owned by Devil Ance Hatfield with provisions and fresh fruit. He died in Matwan in a gunfight. My father Charles was at his side when he was shot.They lived in a one room cabin on the river in Pidgeon Creek. The cabin was standing until I was about 6 or 7. There is a family cemetery on top of Switzer Mtn.
Harvey and Lydia's son Harmon, lived across the road from Switzer Mtn. and he never married. After he came home from the war, he lived with two twin sisters and harvested Gensing for a living. The three lovers split up after many years and one of the sisters died percipitating the split. All three were quite elderly.
Harveys nickname was Rail Head.
There was a popular ditty about John Morgan that went like this:
Ol John Morgan was a fine old man.
He washed he face in a frying pan.
Combed his hair with a wagon wheel.
And died with a tooth ache in his heel.
I understand it was sung by the miners who anxiously awaited his return so they could enjoy the fresh food and supplies. They sang this song even after his death which wasn't with a tooth ache in his heel. LoL
============================================================= This was a very interesting family. Most of the boys worked for Devil Ance at one time or the other. He was a famous hill-billy that was very wealthy and has a statue erected in his memory with an eternal flame at the foot. He owned the mines, saloon, brothell, drygoods store etc...
When Leo married Alma Hatfield it percipitated quite a feud. Several attempts were made on his life by the Hatfield clan. They were of the Hatfield and McCoy fame. My aunt Hattie was a Hatfield family member too but was born of a daughter that married so her maiden name wasn't Hatfield.
Ed was quite a lady's man and had a reputation for "whippin the hell" out of the State Hwy Patrolmen every chance he got. He got shot by one of them while "dating" one of the troopers wives. (Caught in the act)Didn't die until many years later in Charleston W.Va
Those are all the stories I know and I hope they were amusing to read. I love the folk lore about the Hatfields and McCoys. Thank you so much for the info. I hope I helped fill in some of the blanks.
I'm sorry about Teague. I have never heard of him but will ask my aunt.
Where do you fit into the family and do you have any info on the country of origin. I understand the Dutys immigrated though Portsmouth Va. and rumor has it they were from Holland. (Dutch) Any info on this? A deceased relative said we were Black Dutch which means we were German Gypsies. I certainly look the part as I have been to Holland researching but found little as there were so many Dutys and Dutz's. They told me that Duty came from Dutz. I've been looking for immigration records. Are there any that you know of.