Title: History of Allegheny county, Pennsylvania: including its early settlement and progress to the present time ; a description of its historic and interesting localities ; its cities, towns and villages; religious, educational, social and military history ; mining, manufacturing and commercial interests, improvements, resources, statistics, etc. ; also, biographies of many of its representative citizens
Author: Cushing, Thomas, b. 1821
Pgs. a224, a225
WILLIAM FREW, only son of SAMUEL and ELIZABETH (McCULLY) FREW, was born Jan. 10, 1826, in a house that stood until 1880 on the corner of Liberty and Wood streets, Pittsburgh. He completed his education at the Western University of Pennsylvania, at Pittsburgh, and was afterward employed, in the wholesale grocery-house of his uncle, JAMES McCULLY, located on Wood Street, between Liberty and Sixth Avenue. Later he was taken into partnership and formed one of the firm of JAMES McCULLY & Co.Aug. 4, 1853, he married MARTHA ELLIOTT, second daughter of JOSEPH and SARAH A. LONG, and niece of REUBEN MILLER, JR.In 1859, when petroleum oil was first discovered in paying quantities, he and Charles Lockhart, also connected with the McCULLY house, formed the partnership known for the next 21 years as Lockhart & Frew.This firm was among the pioneers in the production and refining of petroleum, and built the first Pittsburgh refinery, the Brilliant Oil-works.A successful business was done for 17 years, and when, in 1876, the Standard Oil Company was formed, the firm of Lockhart & Frew became part of that organization, Charles Lockhart being elected president of the Standard Oil Company, of Pittsburgh, and WILLIAM FREW vice-president.After a sickness of five weeks he died March 9, 1880, leaving a widow and one son, WILLIAM N. FREW.
At the time of his death he was a member of the firms of Lockhart & Frew, Warden, Frew & Co., Philadelphia, and Hubbard Bakewell & Co., Pittsburgh, besides being connected with many other business enterprises.He was one of the earliest believers, in Pittsburgh, in the homeopathic method of treating disease, and for a number of years prior to his death had served as president of the board of trustees of the homeopathic hospital.In 1870, much against his will, he was nominated by the better class of citizens on a Reform Platform for Congress, but, declining to secure his election by what seemed to him questionable and undignified methods, was defeated by his opponents, Gen. James S. Negley.Prior to 1860 he was captain of the Keystone Rifles, a military organization of Pittsburgh, and during the war was connected as major with the 15th regiment Pennsylvania state troops, into which the smaller organization had been merged.He was an exceedingly liberal and philanthropic man, giving freely to many religions, charitable and educational objects; a valued supporter of the Christian and sanitary commissions during the war; a firm friend of the Y. M. C. A.; a prominent member of the board of trustees of the Pennsylvania Female College of Pittsburgh, and chairman of the investing committee of the Western University of Pennsylvania.He is a member of Chamber of Commerce of Pittsburgh.He was a pleasing public speaker.He had traveled extensively in Europe and the far east.His death was a loss to his friends and to the city of Pittsburgh.
Pgs. a330, a331
HENRY M. LONG, broker, Pittsburgh, is a native of that city, born in 1836.His paternal grandfather was a native of Chambersburg, Pa., of Scotch-Irish descent, and in 1742 he located near Canonsburg, Washington County, Pa.From that date until A. D. 1800 he farmed the “Long Farm.” Now known as a part of the Morganza farm.His son JOSEPH, father of HENRY M., was born in 1790, and was the youngest of 13 children.He had only 6 months’ schooling, and worked on the farm until 16 years of age; then was apprenticed to a country smith till 21 years of age; when he entered the U. S. army in the war of 1812, serving in the Pittsburgh Blues, Second Company, Capt. Cooper; after the war he became a machinist, and carried on a large establishment in Pittsburgh, fitting out ships and steamboats, and supplying heavy iron-work for the Sault Ste. Marie Canal, connecting Lake Superior and Lake Michigan, and other public improvements.He did the largest business in the western part of the state in his line, and from 1830 to 1850 he was an extensive steamboat owner.He died from injuries sustained by a fall January 17, 1862.He was a Whig, abolionist, Republican and a Presbyterian.He was married in 1815 to SARAH, daughter of REUBEN MILLER, an old pioneer, a native of Philadelphia, Pa., descended from a family of English Quakers, who came to America in 1712 and settled in New Garden Township, Chester County, Pa.
HENRY M. LONG, who is one of 9 children, was educated in Chester County, Pa., and Morgantown, W. Va.In 1856, at the age of 20 years, he went west, steam boated on the western rivers till 1861, when he returned to Pittsburgh, Pa., where he engaged principally in the oil business, producing and manufacturing.Eventually he became one of the editors and proprietors of the Pittsburgh Gazette, continuing from 1870 to 1876, and has been doing more or less newspaper work up to the present time.Politically he is Republican.In 1874 and 1880 he was elected to the legislature, serving as speaker of the house for two years.MR. LONG is at present a broker in stocks, and contributes to the home papers and New York periodicals.