I have been lurking on this genealogy forum for a few weeks and have decided to post the following data and reflections:
I was born and raised in New Kingston, (near Carlisle, in Silver Spring Township) Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, and have lived for the past thirty-one years in Ottawa, Ontario, where my wife and I are the only Eshelmans (we and our two children are the only Eshelmans in Ontario, at least who have a telephone).I was of the sixth generation in Silver Spring Township, of the eighth in Cumberland County and of the ninth (counting the immigrant) in Pennsylvania .
I was aware that our family was Swiss from the Emmenthal although I have read in several places that the "Aesch" in the name refers to the ash tree, spelled in modern German Esch,and not the salmon -like fish , spelled A(umlaut)sch, which has the identical pronunciation. I have also heard a theory that the name comes from a hamlet in the Emmenthal called "Aeschli": "Little Ash".I was awe-struck by the family tree made by Buren Eshelman , the more so when I realised that his family was also ours.I am descended from his 86 M Peter, putative son of Ulrich (56.) Aeschliman. who was born in Langnau 19 March, 1699. I had always confused him with the man Buren eshelman calls Hans Peter Aeschliman (3254).I see now that this cannot be so since there seems to be a record that "my" Peter was in Lampeter, just south of Lancaster, in 1742.
In any case, he is called Peter of Swatara because he owned property on the Swatara creek in what is now Swatara Township in Dauphin County.He was born in 1728 and died around 1780, according to Fayette Eshelman, who did a great deal of research on our family and whose notes are in the Lancaster County Historical Society.
Peter of Swatara had the following children:
1) Jacob b. 1757, d.1808 single, murdered(!).
2) Peter (my ancestor) b. 05-09-1758, d. 01-11-1830, married Elizabeth Behne, (1759-1836), daughter of Henry Behne, of Bethel Township, (now Lebanon County ) in Christ Tulpehocken Lutheran Church, 06-06-1779,Peter died in East Pennsboro Township, Cumberland County but was buried in Swatara Township, Dauphin County, where he was born.3)John, d.1788, 4) Elizabeth, (n.d.), married John Wingert(n.d.) 5) Barbara b.15-01-1761. d. 25-03-1817, married John Eshelman (n.d.) 6) Christian, d. before 1808, 7) Mary Magdelena, d. 1806, married Jacob Bowman (n.d.) 8) Veronica (Freney) (n.d.), married Jacob Seever.
Peter (2) above had the following children:
1) Henry b. 10-04-1780 d. 27-01-1854, married Sarah Bortell (n.d.)
2) Peter b. 20-03-1782, d. 04-11-1862, married 1) Sarah Fuchs (n.d.) and 2) Barbara Booser (n.d.) 3) Mary , b. 10-05-1784, d. 08-05-1859, married Jacob Bowman, (n.d.)
4) Elizabeth, (12-03-1786)-(?-?-1851), married Henry Behne(n.d.) 5)Christian (my ancestor) ( 21-02-1788)-(21-08-1841) married Magdalena Fleischer, (21-06-1798)-(24-05-1870), daughter of Michael and Elizabeth Lehman Fleischer, baptized in Moravian Church, York, Pennsylvania, 0n 08-08-1798.
Both lived in East Pennsboro Township and are buried in the Brick Church Cemetary in West Fairview in the same Township.
6)John (13-07-1789)- (10-10-1850), married Mary Beam (n.d.) 7) Phrona Irene (24-04-1792)
-(08-01-1850), married Isaac Longenecker (n.d.) 8) Jacob (27-07-1793)-(20-03-1860), married Elizabeth Reininger (n.d.) 9) Joseph
(12-05-1798)-(05-06-1885), married Margaret Miller (n.d) 10) Catherine (?-?-1800)-(?-?-1835), married Joseph Martin (n.d.), 11) Samuel (06-05-1804)-(25-02-1872), married Mary McAfferty (n.d.)
Christian and Magdalena had two surviving children , Samuel (03-02-1818)-(25-03-1895) and Mary Magdalena (02-06-1828)-(26-01-1889)
married John B. Reeser (18-02-1826)-(11-04-1893).
Samuel was married 3 times:
1) Susannah Lantz, (18-08-1816)-(03-01-1851), daughter of Philip (1781-18??) and Catherine (20-04-1781)-(03-03-1871)Lantz, of East Pennsboro Township.Two children from this marriage survived: Christian (my ancestor) (02-10-1846)-(05-09-1905) and Carrie (1850)-(1914) unmarried.
2) Mariah Huntsberger(23-03-1825)-(04-06-1868),From this marriage four sons were born :Joseph, Jacob, Isaac and Amos.I have no dates for them, but they all left Pennsyvania to become part of a new Brethern in Christ community in Sedgewick, Kansas.
3) Margaret Buckwalter (n.d.) died after 1895.
Christian married Catherine Vogelsong (1850-1936).They were renowned for their ability to speak "High German" and they had three children: Samuel Calvin (1869-1939), Dessie (n.d) who married Daniel Hess, and Harry (died in 1928, married to Alice Scheaffer who died in 1930).
Samuel Calvin married Jenny Anne Collins (1872-1960)had seven children, the eldest of which was my grandfather Paul LeRoy Eshelman (1891-1963), who married 1) Hetty Mae Swartz (1889-1934), daughter of Jeremiah Swartz,(1848-1930) and Henrietta Ensminger (1857-1934) 2) Bernice Robinson (d. 1948) and 3) Myrtle Smith (1909- still living)
From the first marriage one child was born: Paul Swartz Eshelman (1916-1982), from the second was born Ronny Lee Eshelman, !942- still living) Paul Swartz Eshelman, my father, married Frances Emily Bixler (22-12-1918)- still living, daughter of calvin Bixler (1890-1942) and Frances Mabel Brine (18-06-1894)-(23-04-1978) .
You are now down to my sisters and me.you either know about us because you are related to us or you don't because you're not and you don't care.
My notes on recent generations(i. e. my grandfather's siblings, etc.) were inadvertently destroyed, are obviously incomplete, and must be redone. I am hoping that some of you can tell me about the Sedgewick branch.
2128 East Acres Road