The first fire in the town happened in this house [HOme of Nathaniel Everson] , and in this way: Henry Doyle had married Harriet Everson, October 29th, 1820, and in due course of time the first born appeared on the stage of life, and as was the custom, many of the female inhabitants were invited to give honor to the occasion, but to add further zest …the father, Henry Doyle, in the evening invited as his guests ….In the midst of the festivities, Doyle thought of the barrel of good old rye he had stored away in the loft. With the primitive lamp made of tin, a wick and grease in hand he hied away to the secret place for a pitcher full of the desired fluid. As the spirits flowed freely from the spigot, he thought it would be a good chance to taste it in advance of his guests. So he stooped to catch it as it ran, but in so doing the lamp came in contact with the gas from the liquor, and way went the barrel up and through the roof, setting fire to everything in the loft, and the spilled whiskey pouring on to the open floor passed down in a blaze to the room where the mother and new born babe were in bed. The bed with its living contents was hurriedly taken to the kitchen, and all hands got to work to put out the fire.