"Near Glasgow in Scotland, a Mr. Stronach was so unfortunate as to lose his wife. But like many other a widower, he got another; and this marriage, like others of its kind, brought troubles with it. George, an overgrown boy, quarrelled with his stepmother. After this had gone on for a long time and the afflicted father, despairing of finding a remedy for hs domestic discomfort, at last hit upon the plan of bribing the unruly son. He offered him five pounds if he would never give his stepmother any more trouble. The boy accepted the money and made solemn promises that he would never, as long as life lasted, annoy his stepmother again. To be as good as his word, he pocketed the cash and started for Glasgow. There he found a ship ready to sail for Halifax, to which city he made his way as fast as wind and water could carry him.
Here he met Benjamin Fales, who had come from New England with General Ruggles. Fales had already hired with the General to work on his new lands in Wilmot for a certain wage; and at the end of a specified number of years to get, in additon to his wage, a certain number of acres of good land. B. Fales introduced Stronach to the General who soon made him one of his staff of laborers.
These two young men, Fales, a great wit, and Stronach, as great an oddity, fulfilled their engagement with the General, got their lands, cleared away the forest, and spent long and happy lives on the North side of the Valley and left behind them a numerous progeny. Many are the anecdotes handed down of these two geniuses."
The land that Stronach and Fales settled was, according to Calnek, in part payment for the labors described. This may be partly true, but the original deed for one thousand acres on that part of the North Mountain that is now Stronach Mountain was between Rufus Chandler, Esq., grantee of said acres and Stronach and Fales, purchasers of the same. This deed is with family papers as well as an oath of allegiance sworn by Rufus Chandler at Halifax on 21 September 1789, and also, a promissory note to Timothy Ruggles for thirty five pounds, dated 21 September 1789 and signed by Benjamin and Rachel Fales and George Stronach. The division of the land was five hundred acres to each man, Fales taking the western portion and Stronach, the eastern part. The boundary line between the two properties was supposed to have surveyed out by George Stronach, and today forms a portion of the Stronach Mountain Road.