SPERRY, WILLIAM H., p. 1392
Surnames: SPERRY, FEATHER, BOYER, FRILL, MERKEL
William H. Sperry, a representative businessman of Reading, Pa., who is proprietor of Sperry's Café, formerly the Washington Library, was born at "The Buck," in Chester county, Pa., Jan. 18, 1863, son of Samuel and ****Sarah (Feather) Sperry.
Francis Sperry, the grandfather of William H., was a resident of Warwick township, Montgomery county, Pa., was a farmer by occupation, and died at the ripe old age of ninety-four years, in about 1872. He had two sons, namely: Francis, who died in 1898, and who had two sons, Samuel and Jacob, who both died at Norristown; and Samuel, the father of William H.
Samuel Sperry was born in December 1829, in Worchester township, Montgomery county, and died at Reading May 13, 1901, and was buried at Pottstown. He was a farmer and carriage builder in Pottstown, occupations which he also followed in Chester county, and later became the proprietor of the "Mansion House," at Boyertown, which he successfully conducted for a number of years. He married ***Sarah Feather, who survives him and makes her home with her son William H., and they had three children, namely: Clara and George, both of whom died young; and William H.
William H. Sperry was educated at Washington Hall, The Trappe, Pa., having prior to this attended Koons Pleasant View Seminary, at Boyertown, Pa. When eighteen years old he became a clerk in J. & K. Boyer's general store at Boyertown, learning the grocery dry goods and hardware business, and continued one year as an apprentice and one year as a journeyman. He then became a hotel clerk in his father's hostelry at Boyertown, Pa., in which capacity he continued for fourteen years, and in 1889 he came to Reading and engaged in the coal business at Ninth and Marion streets, continuing in this line for four years. Subsequently he rented Frill's coal yard, which had been established by George Frill about 1850, at the present site of Luden's candy factory, and here Mr. Sperry continued for four years, handling about 9,000 tons of coal annually, and also engaging in contracting. He removed the old building located on the site of the present Masonic Temple, on North Fifth street, excavated that cellar, which is the largest in the city of Reading, being 228 x 54 feet and also delivered 600 tons of iron there from the Eighth street freight house. He then sold out his coal business on North Eighth street, and in July, 1897, he engaged in the hotel business at No. 217 North Eighth street, where he continued about seven years. His next venture was the conducting of the "Hotel Monterey," at Atlantic City, for one year, but in 1903 he returned to Reading and assumed charge of his present place of business, located at No. 640 Penn street, which is one of the most popular and best patronized stands in Reading.
Fraternally, Mr. Sperry is connected with Stichter Lodge No. 254 F. & A.M. of Pottstown; Excelsior Chapter, Reading Commandery, Council at Bethlehem, Lodge of Perfection and Consistory at Bloomsburg, and Rajah Temple, A. A O. N. M. S., at Reading. He is also a member of Opopokasset Tribe No. 122, I. O. R. M., of Reading, having passed all the chairs and being past sachem. In June 1907, at the Great Council at Lancaster, Pa., to which he had been elected a representative of his tribe, Mr. Sperry was appointed District Deputy Great Sachem of Pennsylvania, having charge of five tribes of Reading, comprising about 1,800 Red Men. He is very popular in this order, and numbers his friends by the number of his acquaintances.
On Nov. 24, 1887, Mr. Sperry was married to Mary E. Merkel, daughter of Frederick and Fredericka Merkel, natives of Germany, and one son has been born to this union, namely: S. Merkel Sperry.